-   -   Fifth draft for F10 sleeves (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/176450-fifth-draft-f10-sleeves.html)

Jarod Wen 10-14-2008 11:17 PM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

Hi all,

New updates, including: fixed the font; reduce the size of the font in
the live CD; changed the CD title; source files have been packed.
Follow the link:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

Mairin Duffy wrote:

Do you have an SVG file with the text laid over the background image?
The '10' looks like it has some artifacts on it and it's kind of
pixelated.

I noticed this problem. In fact I did the "10" in Gimp since I don't
know how to make outer glow effect in Inkscape, then I imported the
png file into inkscape. Is there any way I can solve the problem? I
included the source xcf file of "10" in the source package.

Thanks!

------
Jarod Wen
jarodwen@gmail.com

Jaroslav Reznik 10-15-2008 07:03 AM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

----- "Jarod Wen" <jarodwen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> New updates, including: fixed the font; reduce the size of the font in
>
> the live CD; changed the CD title; source files have been packed.
> Follow the link:
>
> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

I like it!

> Mairin Duffy wrote:
>
> > Do you have an SVG file with the text laid over the background
> image?
> > The '10' looks like it has some artifacts on it and it's kind of
> > pixelated.
>

> I noticed this problem. In fact I did the "10" in Gimp since I don't
>
> know how to make outer glow effect in Inkscape, then I imported the
> png file into inkscape. Is there any way I can solve the problem? I
> included the source xcf file of "10" in the source package.

You can try "Blur" effect - "Object" -> "Fill and Stroke" and there is
slidebar. And I think it should be same glow color as Fedora logo has.

> Thanks!
>
> ------
> Jarod Wen
> jarodwen@gmail.com

R.

---
Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Base OS Core Services Brno
Red Hat, Inc.
+420 532 294 275

Nicu Buculei 10-15-2008 07:27 AM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

----- "Jarod Wen" wrote:

I noticed this problem. In fact I did the "10" in Gimp since I don't
know how to make outer glow effect in Inkscape, then I imported the
png file into inkscape. Is there any way I can solve the problem? I
included the source xcf file of "10" in the source package.

You can try "Blur" effect - "Object" -> "Fill and Stroke" and there is
slidebar. And I think it should be same glow color as Fedora logo has.

Of course, the blur effect is applied to a copy/duplicate. Optionally,
you can outset (Path->Outset) the duplicate a few times before blurring it.

"Jon Stanley" 10-16-2008 02:26 PM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Jarod Wen <jarodwen@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

I really like these, however, I'd also like to drive any potential
contributors to join.fedoraproject.org on the back of the sleeve. I
think that we did that with F9 to great effect. Comments, criticisms
or flames? :)

"Paul W. Frields" 10-16-2008 02:50 PM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:26 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Jarod Wen <jarodwen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html
>
> I really like these, however, I'd also like to drive any potential
> contributors to join.fedoraproject.org on the back of the sleeve. I
> think that we did that with F9 to great effect. Comments, criticisms
> or flames? :)

Good catch, Jon. That should remain on the sleeve too.

Perhaps we need a special section on the general Artwork media wiki page
that outlines the "must-haves" for sleeve designs? It should include:

* http://join.fedoraproject.org
* Copyright notice
* Proper logo usage

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Nicu Buculei 10-16-2008 03:05 PM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

Jon Stanley wrote:

I really like these, however, I'd also like to drive any potential
contributors to join.fedoraproject.org on the back of the sleeve. I
think that we did that with F9 to great effect. Comments, criticisms
or flames? :)

No flame, but I think we should have only *one* URL in such big letters,
be it either fp.o or fp.o/join-fedora (we can have the other in small
letters, but fewer people will look at it)

Nicu Buculei 10-16-2008 03:53 PM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

We have this page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/CDArt

"Paul W. Frields" 10-16-2008 04:54 PM

Fifth draft for F10 sleeves

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 18:05 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jon Stanley wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Jarod Wen wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html
> >
> > I really like these, however, I'd also like to drive any potential
> > contributors to join.fedoraproject.org on the back of the sleeve. I
> > think that we did that with F9 to great effect. Comments, criticisms
> > or flames? :)
>
> No flame, but I think we should have only *one* URL in such big letters,
> be it either fp.o or fp.o/join-fedora (we can have the other in small
> letters, but fewer people will look at it)

The big link on the sleeve should be join.fedoraproject.org -- just like
on the F9 discs. In the instructions where there's a smaller font in
use, it's OK to use help.fedoraproject.org I think.