Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Echo Icon Theme in F10?

Hi,

most of you probably know, but I'll write it again - Echo Icon Theme is
the default icon theme in F10 since Beta (for testing purposes and
exposition to wider audience) and I am one of the feature owners. The
change is rather small (in that it does not break things, replaces just
graphics, no code) but pretty much exposed. I'd like to make clear that
we are not going to go against general opinion and I deem it natural for
the Art (since it's art) and Desktop (since it's going to be default in
Gnome Desktop) Teams to decide whether we are ready or not.

Because of the nature of the change it is IMHO possible to make the
decision last minute (i.e. around the development freeze). What I'd like
to ask you now is the preferred way to decide upon it. Should we hold a
irc meeting, do a mail vote, set up a vote in the fedora voting system,
other way? I'd prefer the vote in the fedora voting system (opened for
Art and Desktop team members only), but if you think otherwise would be
better, don't hesitate to suggest.

I also think that about three or four days for the vote should be
enough, so I propose the voting dates to be set to
2008/10/23--2008/10/26. Is that OK with you?

Thanks for your comments,
Martin

Old 10-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Martin Sourada wrote:

[...]

Since FESCo already made the decision that it sticks if the coverage is
good enough, what does the current status look like for the base icons?

Rahul

Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Martin Jürgens

Just from an end user perspective I find that Echo looks very sexy in
the Beta and that we'd stick with it. Although the communication could
have been better.

Martin

Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Martin Jürgens wrote:

Just from an end user perspective I find that Echo looks very sexy in
the Beta and that we'd stick with it. Although the communication could
have been better.

Martin

Was there a communication gap? It was in the Fedora 10 feature list and
was mentioned in the Fedora 10 beta release notes.

Rahul

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Martin Sourada

> Since FESCo already made the decision that it sticks if the coverage is
> good enough, what does the current status look like for the base icons?

Based on the list I created [1] for that we have covered about 95% and
still need to create about 15 icons. It's likely that we make these in
time, but it's also good to decide if the icons that are included are
good enough - and different people can have different opinions about
that.

> Rahul

Martin

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Martin Sourada

> Since FESCo already made the decision that it sticks if the coverage is
> good enough, what does the current status look like for the base icons?

Based on the list I created [1] for that we have covered about 95% and
still need to create about 15 icons. It's likely that we make these in
time, but it's also good to decide if the icons that are included are
good enough - and different people can have different opinions about
that.

> Rahul

Martin

Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 20:09 +0200, Martin Jürgens wrote:
> Just from an end user perspective I find that Echo looks very sexy in
> the Beta and that we'd stick with it. Although the communication could
> have been better.

Unfortunately artistic opinions differ wildly. Every single person that
has made a comment to me regarding the icon set has made it a negative
comment. Those that like it maybe just choose not to say anything.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Martin Sourada

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 20:09 +0200, Martin Jürgens wrote:
> > Just from an end user perspective I find that Echo looks very sexy in
> > the Beta and that we'd stick with it. Although the communication could
> > have been better.
>
> Unfortunately artistic opinions differ wildly. Every single person that
Definitely.

> has made a comment to me regarding the icon set has made it a negative
> comment. Those that like it maybe just choose not to say anything.

Well, it's true negative opinions are usually heard more, so when we
want to chose, we need to heard opinion from most people that are
willing to give it - I think voting is a good way to do that, but I may
be wrong.

Martin