Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Echo Icon Theme in F10?

Martin Sourada wrote:
> I'd very much like to hear Luya's opinion, but I don't feel like
> supporting Echo for F10 as default much longer...

It's amazing how much more calm, easy, and productive
discussions like this are when the folks involved are
level-headed and treat each other with respect.

Thanks, Martin!

~m

Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Máirín Duffy

Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

2008/10/15 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Partly yes. Not sure how exactly it is rendered with librsvg, but there
> are some differences to how inkscape renders it (especially with various
> filters like blur or mask applied),

My limited understanding is that we have several different svg
interpreter codebases and the inkscape and nautilus don't share a
common library in that regard.

I believe that nautilus and other gnome apps like eog are ultimately
using librsvg via a the gdk pixbuf loader (svg_loader.so). But I don't
think inkscape makes use of librsvg at all.

Does firefox also have its own svg rendering implementation?

What does KDE end up using to read svg files?

-jef

Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Martin Sourada

> Does firefox also have its own svg rendering implementation?

AFAIK yes and so does WebKit (probably all its ports).

> What does KDE end up using to read svg files?

I don't know answer to that one...

> -jef

Martin

Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

2008/10/15 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> AFAIK yes and so does WebKit (probably all its ports).

I wonder.... if we looked at these svg based icons at the same
scale/resolution using different underlying renderers, would we end up
seeing different problems? Can we even do that sort of rendering
test? I wouldn't really know how to force WebKit's or inkscape's
render to render to the same scale that is being done by the gtk icon
codepath to make a side by side comparison possible.

-jef

Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Nicu Buculei

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Here's some of that feedback. There are other screenshots at
the bottom of the page I wanted to do the full critique on,
but after spending some hours doing the critique that is
complete there, I felt that what is there sufficiently and
objectively demonstrates that Echo is not ready to be a
default icon set:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Duffy/EchoCritiqueF10

While I agree with a good part of your criticism, I think you go a bit
too far in defending the current set and making it look like is not
broken (maybe is not broken as much, but broken enough to need repairing):

http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/Echocrit-f10-hardware-menu-gnome.png

Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Blame me for pushing Echo through FESCO. After following suggestion for
submitting it to FESCO, I was a bit surprised that icon set was
accepted. Were it rejected, we will not have to deal with current
issue. In one part we'd withdraw Echo while taking a hit from
outside for once again not include it; in other part we keep, taking a
hit for having some incomplete set. That is dilemma which basically
means choosing a poison. It reminds PackageKit case that was pushed as
0.1 release which some incomplete functions. Granted, it has not as
visible as Echo. It is up to the leader who has a final sentence.

Máirín Duffy a écrit :

> Here's some of that feedback. There are other screenshots at
> the bottom of the page I wanted to do the full critique on,
> but after spending some hours doing the critique that is
> complete there, I felt that what is there sufficiently and
> objectively demonstrates that Echo is not ready to be a
> default icon set:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Duffy/EchoCritiqueF10

Martin covered most issues, here is mine:

Gedit:

* - Gnome version of new file has a too bright star.
* - Save icon can a matter of debate, Gnome version looks like a
portable cd player. Echo version rendering issue will be addressed.
* - Other Echo icons were from early version that need to be changed

Gimp

* Help and Reset are not Echo icons.

System Hardware

* Keyboard: actually a wrong symlink version because that icon was
initially intended for preferences-desktop-keyboard-shortcut. I
have prepared a new version of based on your suggestion minus
letters along along with revamped input-keyboard I am uploading
shortly.[1]
* Palm: was before the new guideline, intended to fix that.
* Firefox and Thunderbird: Actually Thunderbird perspective
appears to match Echo version. When it comes to circular, only
shadows are dealt.
* That paint icon: does not come by default in panel.

Additional icons

* From which size of icons those blurriness come from?

Luya
- Nuts enough to have five different icons theme on desktop.

Reference

Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Rex Dieter

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> What does KDE end up using to read svg files?

KDE's current support for svg is limited to svg-basic (or something like
that), which means... not very good... yet.

Work is ongoing to leverage qt4/WebKit to improve this, but afaik, there's
no eta for that turning into anything useful.

-- Rex

Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Bill Nottingham

Luya Tshimbalanga (luya@fedoraproject.org) said:
> Blame me for pushing Echo through FESCO. After following suggestion for
> submitting it to FESCO, I was a bit surprised that icon set was
> accepted.

As one of the FESCo members who accepted it, I'll take the blame for
this. I assumed that Echo was at the time the will of the Art/Desktop/KDE
teams, and it was being proposed as a Feature just to make sure it
got the marketing/press/coverage that a change like that warrants. I did
not actually *confirm* that assumption, and now we're here.

My apologies,
Bill

Old 10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:19 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> > Here's some of that feedback. There are other screenshots at
> > the bottom of the page I wanted to do the full critique on,
> > but after spending some hours doing the critique that is
> > complete there, I felt that what is there sufficiently and
> > objectively demonstrates that Echo is not ready to be a
> > default icon set:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Duffy/EchoCritiqueF10
>
> While I agree with a good part of your criticism, I think you go a bit
> too far in defending the current set and making it look like is not
> broken (maybe is not broken as much, but broken enough to need repairing):
>
> http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/Echocrit-f10-hardware-menu-gnome.png

If I recall correctly Andreas asked many times here to fill bugs for
problems like those ;-) Yeah, the upstream default is not complete
either and have some issues (I also noticed slightly different
perspective is used for e.g. keyboard and mouse icons than for than for
e.g. the preferences one, but the difference is not that big as with
echo vs. mist), but Mo wanted to point out Echo issues, which she did
pretty carefully and throughout, I think.

Martin