Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Default New emblem-symbolic-link icon set draft

Based on go-jump icon expect the arrow is set to grey. Feedback welcome.

Luya

Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 23:59 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Based on go-jump icon expect the arrow is set to grey. Feedback welcome.
>
> Luya

First the most obvious issue - you used wrong perspective. It's an
emblem icon and thus it needs to use the "isometric" perspective. Also I
think it would work better if the arrow was thinner. I'd suggest you try
to recreate it yourself and use rounded edges even for the white inner
outline, like I did e.g. in mail-replied. I think it looks better and
all newer echo icons are made that way.

Martin

Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> First the most obvious issue - you used wrong perspective. It's an
> emblem icon and thus it needs to use the "isometric" perspective. Also I
> think it would work better if the arrow was thinner. I'd suggest you try
> to recreate it yourself and use rounded edges even for the white inner
> outline, like I did e.g. in mail-replied. I think it looks better and
> all newer echo icons are made that way.
>
> Martin

Updated icons.

Luya

Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 00:43 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Martin Sourada a écrit :
> > First the most obvious issue - you used wrong perspective. It's an
> > emblem icon and thus it needs to use the "isometric" perspective. Also I
> > think it would work better if the arrow was thinner. I'd suggest you try
> > to recreate it yourself and use rounded edges even for the white inner
> > outline, like I did e.g. in mail-replied. I think it looks better and
> > all newer echo icons are made that way.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> Updated icons.

Looking better but still not good enough, I think. Try to shape the icon
in similar style like in gnome icon theme (with "isometric" pesrspective
though). You should add shadow as well.

Martin

Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Looking better but still not good enough, I think. Try to shape the icon
> in similar style like in gnome icon theme (with "isometric" pesrspective
> though). You should add shadow as well.
>
> Martin

New version of emblem-symbolic-link.

Luya

Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Martin Sourada

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 21:04 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Martin Sourada a écrit :
> > Looking better but still not good enough, I think. Try to shape the icon
> > in similar style like in gnome icon theme (with "isometric" pesrspective
> > though). You should add shadow as well.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> New version of emblem-symbolic-link.

The shape is better, but

a) the white outline has differing width and in 16x16 it's missing
completely use 2px thick in 48x48, and 1px in 24x24, 32x32 can have
either 1px or 1.5px width, whatever looks better. I'd also to create it
from inkscape-drawn outline (4px resp. 2px width) with rounded
edges/corners.
b) the arrow head looks subjectively too big, probably because of a)
c) the arrow looks like it's falling over. It should be standing, not
laying.

Martin

Old 10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 11:42 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> a) the white outline has differing width and in 16x16 it's missing
> completely use 2px thick in 48x48, and 1px in 24x24, 32x32 can have
> either 1px or 1.5px width, whatever looks better. I'd also to create it
> from inkscape-drawn outline (4px resp. 2px width) with rounded
> edges/corners.
> b) the arrow head looks subjectively too big, probably because of a)
> c) the arrow looks like it's falling over. It should be standing, not
> laying.
>
> Martin
I attach 256x256 example which addresses these issues.

Martin

Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> The shape is better, but
>
> a) the white outline has differing width and in 16x16 it's missing
> completely use 2px thick in 48x48, and 1px in 24x24, 32x32 can have
> either 1px or 1.5px width, whatever looks better. I'd also to create it
> from inkscape-drawn outline (4px resp. 2px width) with rounded
> edges/corners.
> b) the arrow head looks subjectively too big, probably because of a)
> c) the arrow looks like it's falling over. It should be standing, not
> laying.

Above issues have been addressed. Here is latest version.

Luya

--
™¢D0<Š

Old 10-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 23:54 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Above issues have been addressed. Here is latest version.
Apart from the 16x16 they look good. The 16x16 needs more contrast, both
the inner white outline and outline are too thin.

Martin

Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :

> Apart from the 16x16 they look good. The 16x16 needs more contrast, both
> the inner white outline and outline are too thin.
>
> Martin

Outline has been increased to 1,5px. For that size, I am not sure if it
is necessary to enlarge inner white outline. 16x16 should look crisp enough.

Luya