-   -   The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/172333-third-draft-f10-solar-cd-dvd-sleeves.html)

Jarod Wen 10-07-2008 05:54 PM

The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves

The planets are updated to the one in the following file. Another
version with less colors will come soon.

The link is unchanged: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

Best,

On Oct 7, 2008, at 12:00 PM, fedora-art-list-request@redhat.com wrote:

http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/b/b9/Solar_dual-std.xcf.bz2

------
Jarod Wen
jarodwen@gmail.com

"Paul W. Frields" 10-08-2008 12:01 AM

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 13:54 -0400, Jarod Wen wrote:
> The planets are updated to the one in the following file. Another
> version with less colors will come soon.
>
> The link is unchanged: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

Other people have already pointed out that removing the nebula will
probably help reduce the number of colors.

The "x86_32" should simply be "x86".

We still need some additional text that describes for the recipient how
to use the media in hand. I think I suggested some text for this
earlier:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-October/msg00057.html

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

John Poelstra 10-08-2008 12:13 AM

The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves

The planets are updated to the one in the following file. Another
version with less colors will come soon.

The link is unchanged: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

Other people have already pointed out that removing the nebula will
probably help reduce the number of colors.

The "x86_32" should simply be "x86".

We still need some additional text that describes for the recipient how
to use the media in hand. I think I suggested some text for this
earlier:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-October/msg00057.html

Here is an interesting comparison I noticed at OSCON this year after
stopping by the SuSE booth

http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/paste-bin/suse-vs-fedora-cover.jpg

I realize there are differing philosophies as to how much or little
content should be on the cover and what it should say :)

I think we should consider the "target audience" for these discs when
making that decision.... IOW who is most likely to receive the sleeve
and what do they need to know?

John

Ian Weller 10-08-2008 02:57 AM

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:01:16PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The "x86_32" should simply be "x86".

Actually, in the case of the Live CD, it should be "i686". Or, for
installer CDs, "i386". (from what I remember)

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36

Nicu Buculei 10-08-2008 06:04 AM

John Poelstra wrote:

Here is an interesting comparison I noticed at OSCON this year after
stopping by the SuSE booth

http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/paste-bin/suse-vs-fedora-cover.jpg

I realize there are differing philosophies as to how much or little
content should be on the cover and what it should say :)

I think we should consider the "target audience" for these discs when
making that decision.... IOW who is most likely to receive the sleeve
and what do they need to know?

Maybe *I* am not the target audience[1], but I do not like the SUSE
cover, its too busy, with so much text that is simply makes me to not
read it. Only the "Novell" word grab my attention, but not too much.
It's boring and a "corporate" look.

I like how from the first look I can understand that the other disc is a
DVD and is Fedora.

[1] I made in the past such silly CD covers like the one with the werewolf

"Paul W. Frields" 10-08-2008 11:18 AM

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 21:57 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:01:16PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > The "x86_32" should simply be "x86".
> >
> Actually, in the case of the Live CD, it should be "i686". Or, for
> installer CDs, "i386". (from what I remember)

Stamping these technicalities on the cover of a disc intended for people
who are (more often than not) new to Linux is silly. Better that we
drop the jargon entirely and just say "For all Intel-compatible PCs."

Adam Pribyl 10-15-2008 09:21 PM

The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves

There is a typo at:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/r5/Artwork_MediaArt_F10_CDSleeve_1.png

For all Inter-Compatible PCs -> For all Intel-Compatible PCs.

even though inter-compatible PC is also nice.:)

Adam Pribyl

Jarod Wen 10-15-2008 09:30 PM

The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your comment. In fact the sentence has been changed back to
be "i686 Live CD" to conform to the names in the download page of live
cd. Please find the new version from the top of the list.

Thanks!

"Paul W. Frields" 10-16-2008 01:07 PM

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 17:30 -0400, Jarod Wen wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thanks for your comment. In fact the sentence has been changed back to
> be "i686 Live CD" to conform to the names in the download page of live
> cd. Please find the new version from the top of the list.

The names on the download page should be changed, not your cover. For a
while now we've needed to make those pages more accessible to
non-techies, and Mo had made a very attractive new draft for that
purpose:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/webdesign/get-fedora/

I notice that her draft also includes "i686" but I think that we really
should be eliminating jargon as much as possible. I'll bring that up on
the Websites list as a follow-on, since I didn't notice it earlier.

Am I completely wrong that "For Intel-compatible PCs" is better for the
users to whom we're handing these out? If we were to make special
64-bit covers, I'd suggest "For 64-bit PCs." The number of 64-bit
machines is steadily growing in the USA but the people who typically ask
specifically for 64-bit don't need to be told what they have. On the
other hand, the only way to accommodate people who *don't* know is to
give them the standard 32-bit version, and they don't need to know the
difference.

Nicu Buculei 10-16-2008 01:32 PM

Paul W. Frields wrote:

Am I completely wrong that "For Intel-compatible PCs" is better for the
users to whom we're handing these out? If we were to make special
64-bit covers, I'd suggest "For 64-bit PCs." The number of 64-bit
machines is steadily growing in the USA but the people who typically ask
specifically for 64-bit don't need to be told what they have. On the
other hand, the only way to accommodate people who *don't* know is to
give them the standard 32-bit version, and they don't need to know the
difference.

Well, probably the AMD fanboys are not that happy with spelling "Intel"...

Note: for the time being I run mostly Intel machines, but I still am an
AMD fanboy at heart and understand why spelling "Intel" *may* be better
for newbies (which newbies should be educated by someone).