Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default The third draft for F10 Solar CD/DVD sleeves

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 16:32 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > Am I completely wrong that "For Intel-compatible PCs" is better for the
> > users to whom we're handing these out? If we were to make special
> > 64-bit covers, I'd suggest "For 64-bit PCs." The number of 64-bit
> > machines is steadily growing in the USA but the people who typically ask
> > specifically for 64-bit don't need to be told what they have. On the
> > other hand, the only way to accommodate people who *don't* know is to
> > give them the standard 32-bit version, and they don't need to know the
> > difference.
>
> Well, probably the AMD fanboys are not that happy with spelling "Intel"...
>
> Note: for the time being I run mostly Intel machines, but I still am an
> AMD fanboy at heart and understand why spelling "Intel" *may* be better
> for newbies (which newbies should be educated by someone).

Good point. We can't really say just "PCs" either thanks to Apple's
switch to Intel CPUs.

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM
"Jon Stanley"

2008/10/16 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:

> Good point. We can't really say just "PCs" either thanks to Apple's
> switch to Intel CPUs.

May be a little nitpicky, but what's wrong with calling a machine made
by Apple (regardless of whether it has a ppc, pcc64, or Intel chip) a
PC? By every definition (other than Apple's marketing), it is a
"personal computer" thereby qualifying it as a "PC".

Old 10-16-2008, 02:53 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:18 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> 2008/10/16 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
>
> > Good point. We can't really say just "PCs" either thanks to Apple's
> > switch to Intel CPUs.
>
> May be a little nitpicky, but what's wrong with calling a machine made
> by Apple (regardless of whether it has a ppc, pcc64, or Intel chip) a
> PC? By every definition (other than Apple's marketing), it is a
> "personal computer" thereby qualifying it as a "PC".

You should bring this up with Apple -- or maybe TBWAChiatDay -- given
their recent ads which still position Macs as something different than
PCs.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Jarod Wen

May be a little nitpicky, but what's wrong with calling a machine made
by Apple (regardless of whether it has a ppc, pcc64, or Intel chip) a
PC? By every definition (other than Apple's marketing), it is a
"personal computer" thereby qualifying it as a "PC".

Personally, I wish I could see on the sleeve that my mac can use it.
Of course, I admitted that when I was a newbie in Linux, I was rather
confused by the name of i386/586/686... Maybe a simple mark, saying 32-
bit or 64-bit, will be better? Or we just mention the 64-bit CD/DVD
separately but none on CD?

I really like these, however, I'd also like to drive any potential
contributors to join.fedoraproject.org on the back of the sleeve. I
think that we did that with F9 to great effect. Comments, criticisms
or flames?

I noticed that in the final printable sleeves for Fedora 9
"fedoraproject.org" has been changed to "join.fedoraproject.org".
Maybe it is a good idea to follow this way, isn't it?

------
Jarod Wen
jarodwen@gmail.com

Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 11:07 -0400, Jarod Wen wrote:
> > May be a little nitpicky, but what's wrong with calling a machine made
> > by Apple (regardless of whether it has a ppc, pcc64, or Intel chip) a
> > PC? By every definition (other than Apple's marketing), it is a
> > "personal computer" thereby qualifying it as a "PC".
>

> Personally, I wish I could see on the sleeve that my mac can use it.
> Of course, I admitted that when I was a newbie in Linux, I was rather
> confused by the name of i386/586/686... Maybe a simple mark, saying 32-
> bit or 64-bit, will be better? Or we just mention the 64-bit CD/DVD
> separately but none on CD?

That's what I was driving at -- we shouldn't need to point out 32-bit
since it won't be helpful to most people who don't know the difference.
We can call out 64-bit specifically if desired, for the exact opposite
reason.

> > I really like these, however, I'd also like to drive any potential
> > contributors to join.fedoraproject.org on the back of the sleeve. I
> > think that we did that with F9 to great effect. Comments, criticisms
> > or flames?
>

> I noticed that in the final printable sleeves for Fedora 9
> "fedoraproject.org" has been changed to "join.fedoraproject.org".
> Maybe it is a good idea to follow this way, isn't it?

Yes, see the separate thread on the fifth draft (:-D) for details. The
big link should be join.fedoraproject.org. I don't think it's a problem
if we have the "help.fedoraproject.org" link contained in the smaller
instructions section. We just want to make sure it's *not* as
noticeable as join.fp.o.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Paolo Leoni

I've only a little propose: it can be useful writing on the rear of the
sleeves some Fedora mains features, like version of kernel and Xorg.

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org
GPG fingerprint: DAD1 6419 D42B 0B1C D9E1 A9CB 4587 4812 17F7 F764