Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Martin Sourada

Default format-text-* icons

Hi,

I've just finished four of the format-text-* icons. For the ones for ltr
and rtl I am not yet sure what metaphor to use and since I don't
remember seeing them anywhere I think we can wait with their fix for
later.

Some background to the design I used: I've started with the 16x16 size
this time (usually I start with the bigger ones) because these icons are
really crucial to be crisp and have recognisable metaphor especially in
small sizes (usually they are in tool bars in the 22x22/24x24 version).

After few tries I decided to go "button-like". It is like you create a
button with the shape of the original letter, but without any holes in
it and draw the letter on it. First it is consistent with e.g.
dialog-cancel design, second it is easy to recognise and third (and most
important) - when you add the holes, it makes the icon hard to read.

I used URW Bookman L font for the design because it nicely shows
differences between bold/normal/italics font faces. I hope the usage is
OK, the font is not embed in the SVG - I converted it to paths to be
able to better work with it. I followed gnome metaphors in using only
"a" because "b" (bold), "i" (italics) and "u" (underline) is English
based and not suggestive in many other languages (like my own, Czech).

I attach 32x32 versions for quick comparison, the one-canvas ones are
available at my fedora people page [1].

Comments welcome,
Martin

Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

After few tries I decided to go "button-like". It is like you create a
button with the shape of the original letter, but without any holes in
it and draw the letter on it. First it is consistent with e.g.
dialog-cancel design, second it is easy to recognise and third (and most
important) - when you add the holes, it makes the icon hard to read.

I think I have to *see* those "button-like" icons in a real toolbar to
decide if I like the style. The PNGs saved on my desktop do not look
good on a colored background, but not that bad on a light gray one
opened with eog.

I think the shape for striketrough would be better with the dash on the
same plane as the letter face, not on top of it (attached). Probably you
can do it better with extra details (show the top of the dash).

I used URW Bookman L font for the design because it nicely shows
differences between bold/normal/italics font faces. I hope the usage is
OK, the font is not embed in the SVG - I converted it to paths to be

Isn't the font Free? I think it is.

able to better work with it. I followed gnome metaphors in using only
"a" because "b" (bold), "i" (italics) and "u" (underline) is English
based and not suggestive in many other languages (like my own, Czech).

I attach 32x32 versions for quick comparison, the one-canvas ones are
available at my fedora people page [1].

And I attached a preview with all the icons grouped, I find it much
better for previewing.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 18:18 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > After few tries I decided to go "button-like". It is like you create a
> > button with the shape of the original letter, but without any holes in
> > it and draw the letter on it. First it is consistent with e.g.
> > dialog-cancel design, second it is easy to recognise and third (and most
> > important) - when you add the holes, it makes the icon hard to read.
>
> I think I have to *see* those "button-like" icons in a real toolbar to
> decide if I like the style. The PNGs saved on my desktop do not look
> good on a colored background, but not that bad on a light gray one
> opened with eog.

Well, the first impression is not the best one in this case, you are not
used to this type of icons, but after a while it gets better - during
the long time I've created these (I didn't have much time to work on
them) I grew to love them...

> I think the shape for striketrough would be better with the dash on the
> same plane as the letter face, not on top of it (attached). Probably you
> can do it better with extra details (show the top of the dash).
I haven't tried this one but it seems to look better :-)

> And I attached a preview with all the icons grouped, I find it much
> better for previewing.

Well, previewing is best in tool bar... but for that I would need to add
the icons to the theme first (I've done this with some of the system ->
administration icons) ;-)

Martin

Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Nicu Buculei a écrit :
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>>
>> After few tries I decided to go "button-like". It is like you create a
>> button with the shape of the original letter, but without any holes in
>> it and draw the letter on it. First it is consistent with e.g.
>> dialog-cancel design, second it is easy to recognise and third (and most
>> important) - when you add the holes, it makes the icon hard to read.
>
> I think I have to *see* those "button-like" icons in a real toolbar to
> decide if I like the style. The PNGs saved on my desktop do not look
> good on a colored background, but not that bad on a light gray one
> opened with eog.
>
> I think the shape for striketrough would be better with the dash on
> the same plane as the letter face, not on top of it (attached).
> Probably you can do it better with extra details (show the top of the
> dash).

That version of striketrough looks better because it perfectly integrate
with the letter.

>> I used URW Bookman L font for the design because it nicely shows
>> differences between bold/normal/italics font faces. I hope the usage is
>> OK, the font is not embed in the SVG - I converted it to paths to be
>
> Isn't the font Free? I think it is.

Confirmed, it is a Free Font.

>> able to better work with it. I followed gnome metaphors in using only
>> "a" because "b" (bold), "i" (italics) and "u" (underline) is English
>> based and not suggestive in many other languages (like my own, Czech).
>>
>> I attach 32x32 versions for quick comparison, the one-canvas ones are
>> available at my fedora people page [1].
>
> And I attached a preview with all the icons grouped, I find it much
> better for previewing.

Seeing the preview, a serif typeface is much a better approach than
using sans-serif.

Luya

Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Martin Sourada

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 00:57 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Seeing the preview, a serif typeface is much a better approach than
> using sans-serif.
>
> Luya

I've updated the icons, following Nicu's suggestion for improving
strike-through. I attach screen-shot of some of them in action and the
fixed strike-through one. The rest can be found at my fedorapeople page
[1].

Comments welcome,
Martin

Old 10-18-2008, 04:22 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 00:57 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>
>> Seeing the preview, a serif typeface is much a better approach than
>> using sans-serif.
>>
>> Luya
>>

> I've updated the icons, following Nicu's suggestion for improving
> strike-through. I attach screen-shot of some of them in action and the
> fixed strike-through one. The rest can be found at my fedorapeople page
> [1].

strike-through looks much better. Italic version has an odd line of
upper right, could you fix that?
Otherwise, I have no further comment once the above issue is resolved.

Luya

Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Martin Sourada

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 21:22 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> strike-through looks much better. Italic version has an odd line of
> upper right, could you fix that?
> Otherwise, I have no further comment once the above issue is resolved.

I suppose you're talking about the 16x16 version? It should be fixed
now. Check the attachment.

Martin

Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :

> I suppose you're talking about the 16x16 version? It should be fixed
> now. Check the attachment.

Yes, that 16x16 version. Could you sightly reduce gradient on
upper-right? Other than that, no further comment.

Luya