Old 09-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Another Solar Update & remaining F10 release tasks (volunteers needed!)

Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Jaroslav Reznik

----- "Samuele Storari" <sstorari@byte-code.com> wrote:

> I'm here if u need me

Thanks Can you help me with mockup for splash screen
for KDE? I like that Plymouth mockup but I'm afraid there
is no time to implement it for KSplash. So now KDE splash
is just banner like that one in your Anaconda mockup.
But still I'd like to implement something more interesting
- cool
There are specs somewhere on Wiki for KSplash theme but
I'm not able to find it now...

> Samuele

R.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Nicu Buculei escribió:

And I think it will work only on select AMD graphic cards.

I think it is actually AMD and Intel graphics cards which support this
(AFAIK mode setting was recently added to the ati driver, and it has
been present for a longer time (since F9) on the Intel driver. Support
is driver dependent rather than "hardware" dependent, but yeah, only a
couple drivers currently support it.

now we can have consistent look from very first time of boot to desktop.

I think we have at last one mode change, from GRUB to Plymouth (that
is, on supported cards).
The way I understand this, is that there actually is a change from text
(in end Grub uses the same graphics capabilities as the BIOS) to the
kernel mode setting when the kernel loads (and before the rest of the
services start), currently in any Fedora release you can somewhat see
this "transition" if you set a VGA accelerated mode as a command line
argument (such as vga=791 in F1 - F8 or vga=823 in F9, which causes the
kernel to use a framebuffer of 1024x768 in size at 16-bit color depth),
there is a brief print-out of the GRUB arguments for the selected while
the kernel loads before you are presented with the graphics (the
penguin(s) at the top-left corner) and smoother letters, bigger size,
etc. I'm not all that familiar with GRUB2 and if would require the same
kind of drivers as the mode setting feature of the kernel. My guess
would be it wouldn't since it'd be running prior any kernel (and hence
drivers) are loaded, so it may very well rely only on the VESA
capabilities of the cards, but again, I don't know for certain... Will
have to take a look.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Máirín Duffy

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I like that Plymouth mockup but I'm afraid there
>> is no time to implement it for KSplash.
>
> Plymouth splash doesn't display progress.

It does, doesn't it?

~m

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Charlie Brej

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:

I like that Plymouth mockup but I'm afraid there
is no time to implement it for KSplash.

Plymouth splash doesn't display progress.

It does, doesn't it?

~m

It will do. Ray committed the progress branch to main yesterday and we now have
the option of having some kind of progress bar/timer/... Just need some ideas now.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

----- "Charlie Brej" <fedora-art@brej.org> wrote:

> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> >> Plymouth splash doesn't display progress.
> >
> > It does, doesn't it?
> >
> > ~m
>
> It will do. Ray committed the progress branch to main yesterday and we
> now have
> the option of having some kind of progress bar/timer/... Just need
> some ideas now.

Nice! Is there already Solar theme for Plymouth or some graphics
prepared? So I can use it in KSplash theme. And of course idea
for progress bar.

R.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Nicu Buculei

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

Nicu Buculei escribió:

And I think it will work only on select AMD graphic cards.

I think it is actually AMD and Intel graphics cards which support this
(AFAIK mode setting was recently added to the ati driver, and it has
been present for a longer time (since F9) on the Intel driver. Support
is driver dependent rather than "hardware" dependent, but yeah, only a
couple drivers currently support it.

From the Beta release notes:
"Currently, only Radeon R500 and higher users will get kernel
modesetting by default. There is work in progress to provide modesetting
for R100 and R200. Additionally, Intel kernel modesetting drivers are in
development, but not turned on by default. "

Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

----- "Nicu Buculei" <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:

> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> > Nicu Buculei escribió:
> >>
> >> And I think it will work only on select AMD graphic cards.
> >
> > I think it is actually AMD and Intel graphics cards which support
> this
> > (AFAIK mode setting was recently added to the ati driver, and it has
>
> > been present for a longer time (since F9) on the Intel driver.
> Support
> > is driver dependent rather than "hardware" dependent, but yeah, only
> > couple drivers currently support it.
>
> From the Beta release notes:
> "Currently, only Radeon R500 and higher users will get kernel
> modesetting by default. There is work in progress to provide
> modesetting
> for R100 and R200. Additionally, Intel kernel modesetting drivers are
> in
> development, but not turned on by default. "

Looks more like feature for F11.

R.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Charlie Brej

<jreznik@redhat.com> wrote:

I like that Plymouth mockup but I'm afraid there
is no time to implement it for KSplash.

Plymouth splash doesn't display progress.

It does, doesn't it?

~m

It will do. Ray committed the progress branch to main yesterday and we
now have
the option of having some kind of progress bar/timer/... Just need

some ideas now.

Nice! Is there already Solar theme for Plymouth or some graphics
prepared? So I can use it in KSplash theme. And of course idea
for progress bar.

There is one in the wiki[1] but the graphics used might need to be altered to
reflect the latest changes to the backgrounds. I have been playing with some
progress ideas[2] but it is still to be decided.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/3/34/F10-solar-plymouth1.swf
[2] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/7.swf