-   -   New image-missing icon set (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/167941-new-image-missing-icon-set.html)

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-29-2008 09:47 AM

New image-missing icon set

Looking into the old Echo icon theme, I found early image-missing[1]. I
replaced the blue background by red for better metaphor. Interesting
enough other theme like gnome, Tango and oxygen have different way to
interpret the same metaphor. Feedback welcome.

Luya

Reference:
[1] https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/ticket/61

Martin Sourada 09-29-2008 10:48 AM

New image-missing icon set

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 02:47 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Looking into the old Echo icon theme, I found early image-missing[1]. I
> replaced the blue background by red for better metaphor. Interesting
> enough other theme like gnome, Tango and oxygen have different way to
> interpret the same metaphor. Feedback welcome.
>
> Luya

Something's strange, not sure what though. Perhaps you could try to make
the "X" read instead of the paper and use semitransparent/greyscale
image below it on the paper to suggest that it's a (missing) image? Or
perhaps try different metaphor? The gnome metaphor seems more suggestive
to me than bluecurve (red X on a paper) or oxygen (red cancel sign on a
paper).

Also, since you are reworking first of the many icons containing the
paper, it would be nice if you provided a template with only the paper
on it, you can call it e.g. paper-template.svg or whatever. It would
help in the future with finishing most of the mimetypes icons. We could
add it to the guidelines. :-)

Also the echo-new-icon script is set-up to look into ~/Templates for
echo-one-canvas-template.svg first before using its own template - it
really helps when creating bunch of icons all containing the same part,
like envelope or paper ;-) I'll probably add a --template=PATH switch to
some future version so that you can provide your own template without
having to copy/rename it...

> Reference:
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/ticket/61
Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-29-2008 05:49 PM

New image-missing icon set

Martin Sourada a écrit*:

Something's strange, not sure what though. Perhaps you could try to make
the "X" read instead of the paper and use semitransparent/greyscale
image below it on the paper to suggest that it's a (missing) image? Or
perhaps try different metaphor? The gnome metaphor seems more suggestive
to me than bluecurve (red X on a paper) or oxygen (red cancel sign on a
paper).

I will make gnome version for comparison.

Also, since you are reworking first of the many icons containing the
paper, it would be nice if you provided a template with only the paper
on it, you can call it e.g. paper-template.svg or whatever. It would
help in the future with finishing most of the mimetypes icons. We could
add it to the guidelines. :-)

Good idea. Now that you mention it, once we complete 0.4, I will create
template

for emote as well.

Also the echo-new-icon script is set-up to look into ~/Templates for
echo-one-canvas-template.svg first before using its own template - it
really helps when creating bunch of icons all containing the same part,
like envelope or paper ;-) I'll probably add a --template=PATH switch to
some future version so that you can provide your own template without
having to copy/rename it...

Ah, I did not known* that one. Does script support the xdg path i.e.,
in my case, "Template" folder is translated into "Modèle"?

Luya

Martin Sourada 09-29-2008 06:07 PM

New image-missing icon set

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 10:49 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Good idea. Now that you mention it, once we complete 0.4, I will
> create template
> for emote as well.
I think it's a good idea to provide as many templates as can be helpful
- i.e. the paper sheet, perhaps the mail envelope (though all the mail
icons are done now...), templates with some more used emblems in icons
like an arrow (used in application-exit, mail-reply, ...), plus sing,
star sign (I am working on these) - it would greatly help with the
design and consistency...

> > Also the echo-new-icon script is set-up to look into ~/Templates for
> > echo-one-canvas-template.svg first before using its own template - it
> > really helps when creating bunch of icons all containing the same part,
> > like envelope or paper ;-) I'll probably add a --template=PATH switch to
> > some future version so that you can provide your own template without
> > having to copy/rename it...
> >

> Ah, I did not known that one. Does script support the xdg path i.e.,
> in my case, "Template" folder is translated into "Modèle"?

Alas not yet, but I hope to implement it in the future (I am not sure
yet how to do it correctly). Currently it looks only for
~/Templates/echo-one-canvas-template.svg
and /usr/share/echo-artist/echo-one-canvas-template.svg in that order.

> Luya
Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 10-01-2008 01:43 AM

New image-missing icon set

New version of image-missing based on gnome metaphor. I have create a
template called paper-template which will be the base of incoming
mimetype icons.

Luya

Martin Sourada 10-01-2008 09:11 AM

New image-missing icon set

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 18:43 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> New version of image-missing based on gnome metaphor. I have create a
> template called paper-template which will be the base of incoming
> mimetype icons.
>
> Luya

> http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/status/

Yeah, this metaphor looks better to me. In 256x256 the paper has some
minor rendering issues and the outline should not be that thick, in
other sizes it's blurry.

I went ahead and recreated the paper and simplified it a bit.

Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 10-01-2008 09:39 AM

New image-missing icon set

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Yeah, this metaphor looks better to me. In 256x256 the paper has some
> minor rendering issues and the outline should not be that thick, in
> other sizes it's blurry.

Using the new paper-template, here is an update.

Luya

Martin Sourada 10-02-2008 08:53 PM

New image-missing icon set

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 02:39 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Martin Sourada a écrit :
> > Yeah, this metaphor looks better to me. In 256x256 the paper has some
> > minor rendering issues and the outline should not be that thick, in
> > other sizes it's blurry.
> >

> Using the new paper-template, here is an update.
>
> Luya

I've slightly changed the 22x22 version of the paper template to be more
consistent with the other variants (basically I made it 1 pixel
shorter), you should update the image-missing too (the change is small
but makes it look better). When done I have no further comments. Don't
forget to hide the plate layer before commit (in the template SVG it is
displayed intentionally) ;-)

I also created a script for checking if the icon is ready for commit. I
attach it. Just extract it somewhere, cd to the echo-icon-check
directory and use it: echo-icon-check <path-to-icon-svg>. It should
detect all most obvious problems (and some of them prints as warnings,
the fatal ones as errors).

It will be included in the echo-artist-0.2.0 but I plan complete rewrite
of code for that release to better use what ruby can do, to have there
less duplicities and maybe even make a gtk front-end (but that will take
some time to do).

I appreciate feedback on it so that when its released officially, it
would be a really helpful utility. You can try to run it on the
paper-template I attached to see that it prints an error that plate
layer is not hidden and when you hide it it still complains about
missing group labelled scalable, which is OK for a template, but not for
an icon. ;-) I hope the printed errors are worded good enough...

Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 10-03-2008 07:39 AM

New image-missing icon set

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> I've slightly changed the 22x22 version of the paper template to be more
> consistent with the other variants (basically I made it 1 pixel
> shorter), you should update the image-missing too (the change is small
> but makes it look better). When done I have no further comments. Don't
> forget to hide the plate layer before commit (in the template SVG it is
> displayed intentionally) ;-)

Done.
> I also created a script for checking if the icon is ready for commit. I
> attach it. Just extract it somewhere, cd to the echo-icon-check
> directory and use it: echo-icon-check <path-to-icon-svg>. It should
> detect all most obvious problems (and some of them prints as warnings,
> the fatal ones as errors).

I have tested that script. It does its job. I think you should add quote
like "Done. No error reported".

> I appreciate feedback on it so that when its released officially, it
> would be a really helpful utility. You can try to run it on the
> paper-template I attached to see that it prints an error that plate
> layer is not hidden and when you hide it it still complains about
> missing group labelled scalable, which is OK for a template, but not for
> an icon. ;-) I hope the printed errors are worded good enough...

Speaking about paper-template, it will be nice to set a directory to
store such template in git repository.

Luya

Martin Sourada 10-03-2008 08:56 AM

New image-missing icon set

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 00:39 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I have tested that script. It does its job. I think you should add quote
> like "Done. No error reported".
Good idea :)

> Speaking about paper-template, it will be nice to set a directory to
> store such template in git repository.
I think of having them part of the echo-artist scripts (so in git they
would be in the echo-artist sources), as well as available directly on
the Guidelines page. I just also though about adding some gradient
definitions to the templates - so that we would use gradients easily and
consistently (the most used ones like gray, white, blue, green,
metallic, orange, brown, yellow). What do you think of it?

> Luya

Martin