-   -   network-(dis)connect icon set (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/167166-network-dis-connect-icon-set.html)

Martin Sourada 09-27-2008 08:56 AM

network-(dis)connect icon set

Hi,

I've just finished the network-(dis)connect icon series, the metaphor is
pretty much the same like in oxygen and gtk stock, although I've chosen
different design (standard network cable + socket).

Comments welcome,
Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-27-2008 09:04 AM

Quoting Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I've just finished the network-(dis)connect icon series, the metaphor is
> pretty much the same like in oxygen and gtk stock, although I've chosen
> different design (standard network cable + socket).
>
> Comments welcome,
> Martin

Hmm, attachment please?

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project contributor

Martin Sourada 09-27-2008 09:09 AM

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 05:04 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Quoting Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just finished the network-(dis)connect icon series, the metaphor is
> > pretty much the same like in oxygen and gtk stock, although I've chosen
> > different design (standard network cable + socket).
> >
> > Comments welcome,
> > Martin
> >

> Hmm, attachment please?

Ugh... crap... I totally forgot to attach it :D

Martin

[2] http://mso.fedorapeople.org/echo/Actions/network-disconnect.svg

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-27-2008 10:23 AM

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 05:04 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>
>> Quoting Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just finished the network-(dis)connect icon series, the metaphor is
>>> pretty much the same like in oxygen and gtk stock, although I've chosen
>>> different design (standard network cable + socket).
>>>
>>> Comments welcome,
>>> Martin

I looked to Oxygen icon version and was wondering if there were a power
plug with extension.
This version is not bad but the 256x256 network-(dis)connect looks
strange. For network-disconnect, could you fix the top from the cable?
for disconnect, could you make the gold part deeper like salsa icons[1]?

Another alternate is *ahem* Vista version of network-(dis)connect[2]
through the implementation feels awkward.

Luya

Reference

Martin Sourada 09-27-2008 10:41 AM

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 03:23 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I looked to Oxygen icon version and was wondering if there were a power
> plug with extension.
Seems like that to me...

> This version is not bad but the 256x256 network-(dis)connect looks
> strange. For network-disconnect, could you fix the top from the cable?
Not sure I understand what you mean in this part. I guess, you are
talking rather about the network-connect looking a bit strange around
the socket? I'll try to improve that.

> for disconnect, could you make the gold part deeper like salsa icons[1]?
Will try.

> Another alternate is *ahem* Vista version of network-(dis)connect[2]
> through the implementation feels awkward.

A lot awkward. Their icons feel strange and blurry...

Anyway, the most important sizes for this icon are AFAIK 22x22 and
16x16.

> Luya

Martin

Martin Sourada 09-27-2008 11:46 AM

network-(dis)connect icon set

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 03:23 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I looked to Oxygen icon version and was wondering if there were a power
> plug with extension.
> This version is not bad but the 256x256 network-(dis)connect looks
> strange. For network-disconnect, could you fix the top from the cable?
> for disconnect, could you make the gold part deeper like salsa icons[1]?
Does this one looks better?

Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-27-2008 07:21 PM

Martin Sourada a écrit*:

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 03:23 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

I looked to Oxygen icon version and was wondering if there were a power
plug with extension.
This version is not bad but the 256x256 network-(dis)connect looks
strange. For network-disconnect, could you fix the top from the cable?
for disconnect, could you make the gold part deeper like salsa icons[1]?

Does this one looks better?

Much better. Only comment is the top of socket is sightly blurry on
both 16x16 and

22x22. Could you also darken the wire on 16x16?

Luya

Nicu Buculei 09-29-2008 07:26 AM

Martin Sourada wrote:

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 03:23 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

I looked to Oxygen icon version and was wondering if there were a power
plug with extension.
This version is not bad but the 256x256 network-(dis)connect looks
strange. For network-disconnect, could you fix the top from the cable?
for disconnect, could you make the gold part deeper like salsa icons[1]?

Does this one looks better?

Overall I like it, but I have a few observations:
- at 22x22 and 16x16 I feel the icons are not distinctive enough.
Sometime disconnection is perceived as an error, so maybe have something
red in there?
- *only* if you have time, as we don't really use that, maybe a slight
3D look for the wall socket in 256x256?
- at the first look it was hard for me to understand the shadow, it was
odd. Then I understood that only the cable has shadow, not also the
wall socket.

Martin Sourada 10-06-2008 03:05 PM

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 12:21 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Much better. Only comment is the top of socket is sightly blurry on both 16x16 and
> 22x22. Could you also darken the wire on 16x16?

Should be fixed now. Further simplification was needed to avoid the blurriness.

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 10:26 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Overall I like it, but I have a few observations:
> - at 22x22 and 16x16 I feel the icons are not distinctive enough.
> Sometime disconnection is perceived as an error, so maybe have something
> red in there?
The problem is that it's only "sometime". In some cases it's used just
to note that something is not running, or that you are in off-line
mode... Therefore I don't want to add anything that would suggest being
it an error.

> - *only* if you have time, as we don't really use that, maybe a slight
> 3D look for the wall socket in 256x256?
Yeah, I thought about that as well at first, but I decided I'll leave
that for later improvements, as we really don't needed currently...

> - at the first look it was hard for me to understand the shadow, it was
> odd. Then I understood that only the cable has shadow, not also the
> wall socket.

The wall socket is on a wall (which is not visible), therefore it does
not drop any shadow. That's how I came up with the current shadow. I can
change it if you have any suggestions ;-)

I attach PNGs, SVGs are at my fedora people page [1].

Martin