-   -   Secondary wordmark (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/166208-secondary-wordmark.html)

"Paul W. Frields" 09-25-2008 03:45 PM

Secondary wordmark

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_design

OK, as if things weren't exciting enough with the new Fedora 10 artwork
and our progress toward a beautiful new theme, here's something I wanted
to talk to the Art team about: a secondary wordmark.

Having a secondary wordmark, a community-usable mark for derivative
spins, will help drive more interest in Fedora. It enables a slew of
use cases, some of which I've outlined in a draft of new trademark
guidelines here, which are under review by Red Hat's legal department:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/New_trademark_guidelines

So why am I coming to the Artwork team? Well, it's simple -- I'm no
artist. I made a couple drafts using one of the proposed word marks,
"Fueled by Fedora," which got a lot of positive response when I floated
it around to different community members. Another great suggestion is
"Fedora Remix."

We will probably not use something tired like "Based on Fedora," nor
awkward or jargon-laden, like "Derived from Fedora" or "Contains Fedora
RPMs." If anyone's got a great suggestion, I'll take it under
advisement and a good design will have some weight too, but so far the
two phrases I suggested above are the only ones that have had
significant flash value to me and the other people who've heard them.
I'm cutting the Marketing Project on the cc: line so they can pitch in
ideas, and the FAB list so the Board and other watchers are aware of our
progress on this issue.

If you're an artist, dump your designs to:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_design
-- or some other wiki page, but please put a link on my page so I can
track them all! :-)

I'll start a discussion about the wording for the mark on Fedora
Marketing List which anyone should (as always) feel free to join.
Thanks for your time everyone, and I hope you enjoy the opportunity to
open Fedora up to a whole new group of contributors and community
members!

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Nicu Buculei 09-26-2008 07:18 AM

Secondary wordmark

Paul W. Frields wrote:

If you're an artist, dump your designs to:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_design
-- or some other wiki page, but please put a link on my page so I can
track them all! :-)

You went on-purpose with all-caps for the Fedora word to make it
stand-out from the primary wordmark? I think it looks better with small
letters:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Fedora_secondary_logo_draft4.png
(note: I made the graphic yesterday and uploaded a primary version but
updated the letter spacing in the meantime).

"Paul W. Frields" 09-26-2008 11:39 AM

Secondary wordmark

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:18:06AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> If you're an artist, dump your designs to:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_design
>> -- or some other wiki page, but please put a link on my page so I can
>> track them all! :-)
>
> You went on-purpose with all-caps for the Fedora word to make it
> stand-out from the primary wordmark? I think it looks better with small
> letters:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Fedora_secondary_logo_draft4.png
> (note: I made the graphic yesterday and uploaded a primary version but
> updated the letter spacing in the meantime).

I noted in the design page that you can (and probably *should*) use
the "fedora" word design from the official trademark to design this
new wordmark. Much to my surprise the attorneys said that was
acceptable and probably desirable. What we *can't* do is to use the
Infinity logo in this new wordmark, and we should not create a second
logo to go with it -- the new mark will be just a wordmark with a
nifty design.

"Camilo Mesias" 09-26-2008 05:01 PM

Secondary wordmark

How about "genus fedora" as a word mark?