Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Build System (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-build-system/)
-   -   new pungi command line options (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-build-system/177673-new-pungi-command-line-options.html)

Jeremy Katz 10-16-2008 07:30 PM

new pungi command line options
 
On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 12:15 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:08 -0500, Paul B Schroeder wrote:
> > In my kickstart config, the %include files are all generated in %pre
> > and don't exist at compose time, thus "--ignore-missing-includes".
> > And I have no repo lines defined in my ks.cfg either, so the --repo-*
> > options allow you to specify or add repo info from the command line.
> >
> > --repo-baseurl=REPO BASEURL
> > repository name and base URL to use
> > --repo-mirrorlist=REPO MIRRORLIST
> > repository name and mirrorlist URL to use
> > --ignore-missing-includes
> > ignore missing %include files in the kickstart
> > config
>
> Rather than throw more command line options at the problems, I wonder if
> it would make more sense to make the kickstart parsing gracefully handle
> and warn about missing includes.

Yeah, I would think this should just work. I know it's something that's
been used to good effect within anaconda in the past.

> I also really don't like doing repo
> declaration via the command line arguments, but I'll think on this one a
> bit more.

I definitely don't like this -- the idea of using a kickstart config for
pungi, livecd-creator, etc is that the config file can be enough to
reliably recreate a set of images. Passing the repos on the command
line makes this entirely not the case.

Jeremy

--
Fedora-buildsys-list mailing list
Fedora-buildsys-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-buildsys-list

Paul B Schroeder 10-16-2008 07:32 PM

new pungi command line options
 
Jesse Keating wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:08 -0500, Paul B Schroeder wrote:

In my kickstart config, the %include files are all generated in %pre
and don't exist at compose time, thus "--ignore-missing-includes".
And I have no repo lines defined in my ks.cfg either, so the --repo-*
options allow you to specify or add repo info from the command line.

--repo-baseurl=REPO BASEURL
repository name and base URL to use
--repo-mirrorlist=REPO MIRRORLIST
repository name and mirrorlist URL to use
--ignore-missing-includes
ignore missing %include files in the kickstart
config


Rather than throw more command line options at the problems, I wonder if
it would make more sense to make the kickstart parsing gracefully handle
and warn about missing includes.
A warning may be better. It certainly would be better than what it does
now.. i.e. errors out and fails



I also really don't like doing repo
declaration via the command line arguments, but I'll think on this one a
bit more.
Well, maybe I can make a case. ;) Without it, it becomes necessary to
copy your kickstart config to a new file that only adds the repo lines.
And then if you want to compose from another repo, you'll need yet
another kickstart config with yet another repo line is needed.


It would be nicer to be able to maintain just one kickstart config.
Being able to simply define the repo on the command line allows that.


Also, I've been doing composes out of /mnt/koji and this really helps
when I want to compose agaist the latest generated repo. e.g.
--repo-baseurl=f10beta "file:///mnt/koji/repos/dist-f10-beta/15/x86_64"


--
---
Paul B Schroeder <paul.schroeder "at" bluecoat "dot" com>
Blue Coat Systems, Inc.

--
Fedora-buildsys-list mailing list
Fedora-buildsys-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-buildsys-list

Paul B Schroeder 10-16-2008 07:39 PM

new pungi command line options
 
Jeremy Katz wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 12:15 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:08 -0500, Paul B Schroeder wrote:

In my kickstart config, the %include files are all generated in %pre
and don't exist at compose time, thus "--ignore-missing-includes".
And I have no repo lines defined in my ks.cfg either, so the --repo-*
options allow you to specify or add repo info from the command line.

--repo-baseurl=REPO BASEURL
repository name and base URL to use
--repo-mirrorlist=REPO MIRRORLIST
repository name and mirrorlist URL to use
--ignore-missing-includes
ignore missing %include files in the kickstart
config

Rather than throw more command line options at the problems, I wonder if
it would make more sense to make the kickstart parsing gracefully handle
and warn about missing includes.


Yeah, I would think this should just work. I know it's something that's
been used to good effect within anaconda in the past.


I also really don't like doing repo
declaration via the command line arguments, but I'll think on this one a
bit more.


I definitely don't like this -- the idea of using a kickstart config for
pungi, livecd-creator, etc is that the config file can be enough to
reliably recreate a set of images. Passing the repos on the command
line makes this entirely not the case.
But this doesn't preclude one from reliably recreating images. It
simply allow you to add repos.



--
---
Paul B Schroeder <paul.schroeder "at" bluecoat "dot" com>
Blue Coat Systems, Inc.

--
Fedora-buildsys-list mailing list
Fedora-buildsys-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-buildsys-list

Jeremy Katz 10-16-2008 07:48 PM

new pungi command line options
 
On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:39 -0500, Paul B Schroeder wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 12:15 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:08 -0500, Paul B Schroeder wrote:
> >> I also really don't like doing repo
> >> declaration via the command line arguments, but I'll think on this one a
> >> bit more.
> >
> > I definitely don't like this -- the idea of using a kickstart config for
> > pungi, livecd-creator, etc is that the config file can be enough to
> > reliably recreate a set of images. Passing the repos on the command
> > line makes this entirely not the case.
> But this doesn't preclude one from reliably recreating images. It
> simply allow you to add repos.

It doesn't preclude it, but it means that you have to give both a config
file and the set of command line parameters you passed.

It's the same argument as why you want to encode things in spec files
rather than passing everything to rpmbuild with --define.

Jeremy

--
Fedora-buildsys-list mailing list
Fedora-buildsys-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-buildsys-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.