Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Reviving the idea of Fedora Mentors?

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me that maybe our first effort at a Mentors project was a bit
> premature. Is this a good time to revisit the question?

A mentoring subproject would fit easily into a role-based SIG
approach. Different SIGs could offering a mentoring role. I think I
even included in my my rainbow bright mockup of the role based SIG
concept.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
"Jeffrey Tadlock"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com> wrote:
> So we've got this page:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mentors
>
> Which is an incredibly outdated relic from a previous attempt at mentorship.
>
> Now, I think that nearly everybody I know spends a fair amount of their time
> in informal mentorship. Lots of folks stand ready to help a newbie
> contribute to the Fedora effort.
>
> It occurs to me that maybe our first effort at a Mentors project was a bit
> premature. Is this a good time to revisit the question?

I think it is a great time to revisit the question. Obviously the
current page is out of date. So an early step would be make sure
people listed on that page are still willing to be a Fedora Mentor.
In addition we've had several new faces step up in many SIGs and
projects that are likely great candidates to have their name on that
list.

>From where I sit, I think there are several people willing to help
new folks to the project. The problem is making sure the new
contributors know who to contact for help or those early questions new
contributors might have. So just a re-awareness of the Fedora Mentors
project, the effort to keep that page up to date and to make sure each
SIG/Project has a mentor representative would be a big step in the
right direction.

~Jeffrey

Old 06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Jonathan Roberts

> >From where I sit, I think there are several people willing to help
> new folks to the project. The problem is making sure the new
> contributors know who to contact for help or those early questions new
> contributors might have. So just a re-awareness of the Fedora Mentors
> project, the effort to keep that page up to date and to make sure each
> SIG/Project has a mentor representative would be a big step in the
> right direction.

Perhaps a revamp of the join.fp.o page? We can keep the cool icons etc,
but we could add more content that explains the process in general
terms, introduces the idea of mentors and points people to the list and
IRC for help?

I may have a crack at writing something like this later on today...

Best,

Jon

Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 12:01 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > >From where I sit, I think there are several people willing to help
> > new folks to the project. The problem is making sure the new
> > contributors know who to contact for help or those early questions new
> > contributors might have. So just a re-awareness of the Fedora Mentors
> > project, the effort to keep that page up to date and to make sure each
> > SIG/Project has a mentor representative would be a big step in the
> > right direction.
>
> Perhaps a revamp of the join.fp.o page? We can keep the cool icons etc,
> but we could add more content that explains the process in general
> terms, introduces the idea of mentors and points people to the list and
> IRC for help?
>
> I may have a crack at writing something like this later on today...

Jef had mentioned using office hours as a basis for keeping IRC helpful.
We should use that idea to make mentoring into a real commitment.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Greg Dekoenigsberg

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

From where I sit, I think there are several people willing to help new
folks to the project. The problem is making sure the new contributors
know who to contact for help or those early questions new contributors
might have. So just a re-awareness of the Fedora Mentors project, the
effort to keep that page up to date and to make sure each SIG/Project
has a mentor representative would be a big step in the right direction.

Perhaps a revamp of the join.fp.o page? We can keep the cool icons etc,
but we could add more content that explains the process in general
terms, introduces the idea of mentors and points people to the list and
IRC for help?

I'm actually thinking of something a bit more proactive.

Imagine this scenario: the Mentors all belong to a queue attached to FAS2.

When a new member joins up in FAS2, rather than presenting a bunch of
lists, or content for them to read, the new Fedora member is greeted with
a question: "which of these Fedora activities interest you?" And then a
list of checkboxes. Web development. Software packaging. Evangelizing.
Documentation. Translation. Media distribution. Press relations.
Systems administration. And so on.

The user checks the boxes in question, and the Mentors receive an email.
"Achtung! There's a new contributor! Here's their email address! Bring
them home!"

Whereupon the mentor sends a friendly email, asks them if they're finding
everything okay, answers any questions they might have, and so on and so
forth. Immediately presenting as a friendly "face" who can answer any
question -- before they even have to ask for help.

Just thinking and talking. New contributors continue to be our lifeblood,
and we should treat them like gold at every opportunity. Karma gimmicks
are cool, but relationships make open source go 'round.

--g

Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 AM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 21:47 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> The user checks the boxes in question, and the Mentors receive an
> email. "Achtung! There's a new contributor! Here's their email
> address! Bring them home!"

A few thoughts:

1. A lot of CLA signers don't speak/read English (trust me, I know).
Thus, a lot of FAS2 account holders don't. Currently, FAS2 doesn't
require people to list the languages they speak/read. If we want to do
this, we might want to enable that functionality, and respond
appropriately.

2. Some of the people creating FAS2 accounts are doing so as part of the
packaging process (they've just passed their first package review and
are about to be sponsored). We just want to keep that in mind.

~spot

Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Greg Dekoenigsberg

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 21:47 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

The user checks the boxes in question, and the Mentors receive an
email. "Achtung! There's a new contributor! Here's their email
address! Bring them home!"

A few thoughts:

1. A lot of CLA signers don't speak/read English (trust me, I know).
Thus, a lot of FAS2 account holders don't. Currently, FAS2 doesn't
require people to list the languages they speak/read. If we want to do
this, we might want to enable that functionality, and respond
appropriately.

Hm. Yes. Hm.

Do we have any l10n plans on the horizon for FAS2? Is it even written in
such a way as to make l10n feasible?

Do we simply assume that everyone who comes to contribute to Fedora speaks
English? Is that an unreasonable assumption?

2. Some of the people creating FAS2 accounts are doing so as part of the
packaging process (they've just passed their first package review and
are about to be sponsored). We just want to keep that in mind.

Yeah. Probably just a massaging of the checkboxes, but yeah, we don't
want to stampede people inappropriately.

--g

Old 06-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Mike McGrath

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 21:47 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> > > The user checks the boxes in question, and the Mentors receive an
> > > email. "Achtung! There's a new contributor! Here's their email
> > > address! Bring them home!"
> >
> > A few thoughts:
> >
> > 1. A lot of CLA signers don't speak/read English (trust me, I know).
> > Thus, a lot of FAS2 account holders don't. Currently, FAS2 doesn't
> > require people to list the languages they speak/read. If we want to do
> > this, we might want to enable that functionality, and respond
> > appropriately.
>
> Hm. Yes. Hm.
>
> Do we have any l10n plans on the horizon for FAS2? Is it even written in such
> a way as to make l10n feasible?
>
> Do we simply assume that everyone who comes to contribute to Fedora speaks
> English? Is that an unreasonable assumption?

Its been translated into 5 languages already (it was a requirement for
building fas). Additionally you can set your locale under my account.

-Mike

Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Greg Dekoenigsberg

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Mike McGrath wrote:

A few thoughts:

1. A lot of CLA signers don't speak/read English (trust me, I know).
Thus, a lot of FAS2 account holders don't. Currently, FAS2 doesn't
require people to list the languages they speak/read. If we want to do
this, we might want to enable that functionality, and respond
appropriately.

Hm. Yes. Hm.

Do we have any l10n plans on the horizon for FAS2? Is it even written
in such a way as to make l10n feasible?

Do we simply assume that everyone who comes to contribute to Fedora
speaks English? Is that an unreasonable assumption?

Its been translated into 5 languages already (it was a requirement for
building fas). Additionally you can set your locale under my account.

Mother of Pearl, that's incredibly badass.

--g

Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Greg Dekoenigsberg

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

Do we have any l10n plans on the horizon for FAS2? Is it even written in
such a way as to make l10n feasible?

Do we simply assume that everyone who comes to contribute to Fedora speaks
English? Is that an unreasonable assumption?

Its been translated into 5 languages already (it was a requirement for
building fas). Additionally you can set your locale under my account.

Mother of Pearl, that's incredibly badass.

I just tried it out, and it totally works. I am incredibly impressed.

So this means that it should be pretty straightforward to offer mentorship
even in local languages, so long as there are mentors who speak those
languages available to help.

--g