Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Reviving the idea of Fedora Mentors?

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jef had mentioned using office hours as a basis for keeping IRC helpful.
> We should use that idea to make mentoring into a real commitment.

Yes I think asking people to make an affirmative commitment in terms
of time will be useful so we can put 'helping' on a solid framework so
we can track who is making the commitment and how large the commitment
is across the contributor base. We can try to establish how many
manhours are being contributed in this area as a starting point for
greater organization.

-jef

Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 AM
"Jon Stanley"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jef had mentioned using office hours as a basis for keeping IRC helpful.
> We should use that idea to make mentoring into a real commitment.

The problem that I see with "office hours" is that occasionally I need
a break, and go play my PS3, go to the bar (and drink copious amounts
), go to the grocery store, or do something else similarly in Real
Life(TM) that takes me away from the beckon call of IRC. However, what
I *have* done, and encourage others to do, is to set up a GrandCentral
Webcall button on my blog[1]. This allows my phone number to remain
private, however, folks can call me whenever they'd like, even if I'm
engaged in Real Life(TM) activities. There's more bandwidth available
via voice than IRC anyway. Unfortunately, it only works for numbers
in the US, but hey, it's better than nothing! I'm more than willing
to have "office hours" via this (which for my loser self is pretty
much any time after work - or during work if I'm not busy, which is
unpredictable - or during the evenings and weekends).

[1] http://jons-thoughts.blogspot.com

Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Josh Boyer

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:35:16 -0800
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jef had mentioned using office hours as a basis for keeping IRC helpful.
> > We should use that idea to make mentoring into a real commitment.
>

> Yes I think asking people to make an affirmative commitment in terms
> of time will be useful so we can put 'helping' on a solid framework so
> we can track who is making the commitment and how large the commitment
> is across the contributor base. We can try to establish how many
> manhours are being contributed in this area as a starting point for
> greater organization.

Why do you need to track that?

josh

Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you need to track that?

Why does any volunteer organization want to keep track of the amount
of time individuals are committing and what things they are doing? We
want to make sure we are putting human resources into the overall
project in a way that we aren't creating bottlenecks, or worse in a
way that is wasteful. The most critically important resource we have
is available volunteer time and goodwill, and we need to start looking
seriously at how well we are managing those resources as they come
into the door. We need to make sure that when we encourage people to
participate we are doing it a way that we are asking people to spend
time in a way that makes a positive impact. And we need to find ways
to measure that impact. If we think mentoring is a good idea, then we
need to try to measure that impact. But we cant really gauge impact
unless we have a reasonable estimate of the manhours going in. More
important for me we need to try to make a long term effort to trend
the impact of different areas of 'contribution' that we stand up.
Unless we attempt to track manhours spent in different areas how do we
ever really get a handle on whether we need to push one area over
another through a project wide recruitment program? Different parts
of the project are going to grow organically on their own...but not
necessarily at the same rate. As one bit grows it can create growing
pains for other groups, and its exactly this sort of imbalance that we
need to watch out for and respond to via recruitment drives.

-jef

Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why do you need to track that?
>

> Why does any volunteer organization want to keep track of the amount
> of time individuals are committing and what things they are doing? We

I can say as someone who has managed several volunteer groups into the
ground.. not knowing where people are doing things, how much they are
doing them, what is working and what isn't.. has been a lesson's
learned many times. It may seem like corporatizing a volunteer group..
but not knowing those things has been something I have rued.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux