FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Advisory Board

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that I think such entities exist... but I don't see how they can
> give funding without dealing with a non-profit organization or Red Hat
> were to 'offer' specified services for money with respect to Fedora.
> In that case some company could then 'pay' Red Hat for say gcc support
> in Fedora or something.. but there has to be some entity that the
> organizations would have to do 'business' with.

The fact that Fedora has a formalized budget now inside the
fenceline...is a start. Whether how its setup now, is enough to
position Fedora as an entity one can do 'business' with is beyond me.
But I think that is exactly the direct we need to continue to head.

-jef

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 PM
John Poelstra
 
Default Fedora and the world

Jeff Spaleta said the following on 05/15/2008 03:26 PM Pacific Time:

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

Not that I think such entities exist... but I don't see how they can
give funding without dealing with a non-profit organization or Red Hat
were to 'offer' specified services for money with respect to Fedora.
In that case some company could then 'pay' Red Hat for say gcc support
in Fedora or something.. but there has to be some entity that the
organizations would have to do 'business' with.


The fact that Fedora has a formalized budget now inside the
fenceline...is a start. Whether how its setup now, is enough to
position Fedora as an entity one can do 'business' with is beyond me.
But I think that is exactly the direct we need to continue to head.



Or I wonder if it would be easier for someone that wants to financially
help Fedora to sponsor an activity directly that benefits Fedora?


For example, if a company or person X wanted to help Fedora they could
pay a replicator (or whatever they are called) directly to produce all
of the media for Fedora X to be handed out events. This gets Fedora out
of having to handle the funds and allows internally allocated funds to
then be used for other purposes.


Perhaps this would cause other accounting/reporting problems... I don't
know.


John

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra@redhat.com> wrote:
> For example, if a company or person X wanted to help Fedora they could pay a
> replicator (or whatever they are called) directly to produce all of the
> media for Fedora X to be handed out events. This gets Fedora out of having
> to handle the funds and allows internally allocated funds to then be used
> for other purposes.
>
> Perhaps this would cause other accounting/reporting problems... I don't
> know.

I believe we have a FreeMedia project run by community that is
self-sufficient and does exactly this sort of thing... or we did.

But we could use funding for a lot of different things....for example
travel grants to get important community developers to events. Not
just Fudcons...but conferences where they can go to their peers in
whatever area they work in and talk about Fedora in an effort to get
new people using and contributing. An investment in travel funds so
high impact people can network with a large group of potential
contributors is a sure bet. As a board member, I would absolutely LOVE
to be able to put forward a group of...missionaries... hand them a
plane ticket and a hotel voucher and send them off into the world to
convert the masses..opportunistically. Like when when the Electronics
Labs Spin was first released. I was chomping at the bit to get
Chitlesh out talking to engineers who use that sort of software. And
there's absolutely no reason that Red Hat should be expected to do all
of that sort of expensing. Other entities and individuals who grok
the benefits of an expanding contributor base could chip in on that.

-jef"And as always, I'm more than willing to talk to a sugar-daddy who
can help me build a large enough monetary trust to create and sustain
a Open Source Developer Retreat in the Alaskan wilderness, where
individuals compete for residence terms like artists would do in an
artist colony"spaleta

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Max Spevack
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

Oh we are talking about FAS accounts.... not the secret monetary bank
accounts that I'm not suppose to know about.


Lol, well I was talking about bank accounts, but if Fedora has no
money of its own then I guess this isn't a problem!


All of Red Hat's money is kept in a giant septic tank buried in the
current CEO's backyard. Once per quarter I drive over there and remove
the gold bullion equivalent to our Fedora budget and bring it to the
mint.


;-)

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-16-2008, 01:40 AM
Max Spevack
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

There was discussion at long time ago about creating a Fedora
Foundation, however that proved to be not worth the effort.


I think there is a stronger statement to be made than "not worth the
effort." It's quite possibly impossible to do as a US non-profit when
Red Hat's contributions to the project's actual resource consumption
is tallied given the requirements for non-profit status. And a
separate for-profit status doesn't actually give us much more than
what we have right now, except increased staffing needs to act as a
separate business office.


http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2006-April/msg00016.html

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Max Spevack
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, 15 May 2008, John Poelstra wrote:

Or I wonder if it would be easier for someone that wants to
financially help Fedora to sponsor an activity directly that benefits
Fedora?


For example, if a company or person X wanted to help Fedora they could
pay a replicator (or whatever they are called) directly to produce all
of the media for Fedora X to be handed out events. This gets Fedora
out of having to handle the funds and allows internally allocated
funds to then be used for other purposes.


Perhaps this would cause other accounting/reporting problems... I
don't know.


John, you are definitely right about this. Right now, if someone wants
to contribute money to Fedora, the best way that they can do it is to
replace a cost that we are about to incur on our behalf. For example,
if some organization wanted to pay for the FUDCon Tshirts, we'd just ask
them to pay the bill directly for it.


Much, much easier than trying to get money into Red Hat, earmarked for
Fedora, etc.


We're making baby steps progress to fixing all of this. The first has
been a the multi-year project of getting Fedora organized internally,
with an actual "team", a proper budget (see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityArchitecture/Expenses), etc.


Next will be the question of "how can someone give money to Red Hat, and
guarantee that money is spent on Fedora?" We've had some initial
conversations with legal about it, but it's not currently an "A level
priority" that is being pursued and tracked weekly.


If the Fedora Board would like it to be, it certainly has the ability to
request that some combination of me, Greg, and Paul can change our
priorities around to make it happen.


From my perspective, having a guaranteed budget over which the Board,
FAMSCo, and the Community Architecture team have autonomy has us in
pretty good shape.


--Max

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Max Spevack
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

I believe we have a FreeMedia project run by community that is
self-sufficient and does exactly this sort of thing... or we did.


We do. The Free Media project used to be subsidized by Red Hat, but
lately Thomas Chung has been able to get sufficient donations directly
to Free Media that we no longer carve him off a portion of our budget
each month to make up the shortfall.


--Max

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-16-2008, 02:43 AM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 21:38 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>
> >> Oh we are talking about FAS accounts.... not the secret monetary bank
> >> accounts that I'm not suppose to know about.
> >
> > Lol, well I was talking about bank accounts, but if Fedora has no
> > money of its own then I guess this isn't a problem!
>
> All of Red Hat's money is kept in a giant septic tank buried in the
> current CEO's backyard. Once per quarter I drive over there and remove
> the gold bullion equivalent to our Fedora budget and bring it to the
> mint.

Which reminds me, after champagne and caviar at Mr. Whitehurst's the
other afternoon (the Clos du Mesnil was exceptional), I bumped into the
pool boy. Or at least I think it was the pool boy... he looked a lot
like a certain space tourist.... Hm.

--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 
Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 AM
"Stephen John Smoogen"
 
Default Fedora and the world

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>
>>> Oh we are talking about FAS accounts.... not the secret monetary bank
>>> accounts that I'm not suppose to know about.
>>
>> Lol, well I was talking about bank accounts, but if Fedora has no money of
>> its own then I guess this isn't a problem!
>
> All of Red Hat's money is kept in a giant septic tank buried in the current
> CEO's backyard. Once per quarter I drive over there and remove the gold
> bullion equivalent to our Fedora budget and bring it to the mint.
>

Hmmmm well better a septic tank than a hog pond or fish-fry open air
sewage pond. Gold bullion indeed. Of course diving in isnt as bad as
trying to filter out what is supposed to stay there. Ask peter jones
about his first job at RH .

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux
How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed
in a naughty world. = Shakespeare. "The Merchant of Venice"

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org