Old 05-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Default Spin SIG - Document Drafts

Hi there,

it has taken me a while, but finally I've drafted up some documents for
review by the Spin SIG, and other related parties such as the Release
Engineering team, the current Spin maintainers, the (Advisory) Board, etc.

What we needed are the following:

1) Community Spin Guidelines - DOs and DONTs for Spin concepts that are
to be included in the Kickstart Pool.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/CommunitySpinGuidelines

2) A Kickstart Pool - A collection of kickstarts that are to be
distributed to the general public using a package, and that are to be
used by Release Engineering as well as the Spin SIG to create, test and
release spins from.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/KickstartPool

From what is in the livecd-tools package and source tree now, the Spin
SIG has distilled a new set of kickstarts, located at

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git

3) A Spin Submission Process - Details on how you, or anyone else, can
get a spin concept into the Kickstart Pool, and how to advance from
there to get an approval stamp from the board, and how to get the Spin
included in the Release Cycle should that be in the Spin's scope.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/SpinSubmissionProcess

4) Spin Distribution - A little something about possible distribution
methods for spins not included in the release, or spins targeted at only
part of our community (localized spins, for example).

Another document, regarding the access to the kickstart pool by the Spin
SIG as well as others (Release Engineering, Spin maintainers), and it's
branching and packaging policy will be drafted as soon as the above
takes shape.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Mike McGrath

On Sun, 4 May 2008, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> 3) A Spin Submission Process - Details on how you, or anyone else, can get a
> spin concept into the Kickstart Pool, and how to advance from there to get an
> approval stamp from the board, and how to get the Spin included in the Release
> Cycle should that be in the Spin's scope.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/SpinSubmissionProcess

Anyone against me removing this page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins

It was created just because nothing else existed at the time. If you want
it back. Revert the delete

-Mike

Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Mike McGrath

Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@kanarip.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> it has taken me a while, but finally I've drafted up some documents for
> review by the Spin SIG, and other related parties such as the Release
> Engineering team, the current Spin maintainers, the (Advisory) Board, etc.

So the drafts look fine to me from a procedure and policy standpoint.
I understand that are some in-progress infrastructure things going on
to support the community managed Kickstart Pool, but I'm not aware of
any solid blockers.

At some point Release Eng is going to need to draft up how the
submission for a Fedora Release will be handled. I'm hoping to have at
least the framework of that process in place by the time for F10's
testing cycle, so people can be made aware of timelines. I expect the
Release submission process to have explicit deadlines for submission
and review that are somewhat linked to the testing timeline leading up
to a release.

-jef