Old 05-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default Board nominations

> Time to come up with the list of the most obscure things to do.

sudo yum make-me-a-sandwich

Bill

Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If you are interested, you can simply nominate yourself by posting a
> > > message to the fedora-advisory-board list[4], and please cc: me as well.
> >
> > I'm re-running. And in homage to the grand traditions of the US
> > presidential elections I will be holding a a whistle stop campaign
>
> I for one will not be running. I am going to campaign vigorously to be
> not elected. If elected, I will not serve, and if serving will not
> promise a free download in every browser...

We had a low turnout last time of runners actually and I worry that people
think they aren't qualified enough to run... Anyone can run. I encourage
those that have an interest in what Fedora is to run.

So to those of you on this list (and others) why didn't you run last time,
and what will be preventing you from running this time?

-Curious Mike

Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

I'm interested in running for Fedora Board election.

~spot

Old 05-03-2008, 09:27 AM
"Jonathan Roberts"

> We had a low turnout last time of runners actually and I worry that people
> think they aren't qualified enough to run... Anyone can run. I encourage
> those that have an interest in what Fedora is to run.
>
> So to those of you on this list (and others) why didn't you run last time,
> and what will be preventing you from running this time?

For me, it's two things: firstly, the experience thing. I've never
done anything like this before, and I'm sure there are plenty of
others who have far more experience who can do a far better job for
Fedora than I could!

And actually, number two is similar, but I don't think I'd be
confident that I could do a good enough job for Fedora on the board
and I certainly wouldn't want to let people down.

That said, I'm young and maybe in a few years I'll be putting myself
forward to run

Best wishes,

Jon

Old 05-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Axel Thimm

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:12:17AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Time to come up with the list of the most obscure things to do.
>
> sudo yum make-me-a-sandwich

We should relax priviledges on the kitchen, otherwise non-root users
will starve.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

For me, it's two things: firstly, the experience thing. I've never
done anything like this before, and I'm sure there are plenty of
others who have far more experience who can do a far better job for
Fedora than I could!

And actually, number two is similar, but I don't think I'd be
confident that I could do a good enough job for Fedora on the board
and I certainly wouldn't want to let people down.

That said, I'm young and maybe in a few years I'll be putting myself
forward to run

I don't see why you couldn't nominate yourself now. The "worst" possible
result is that you don't get enough votes to get selected. Big deal? Not
for me. On the other end, if you do get elected you might learn a few
things more which is always a good thing.

Rahul

Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>
> > For me, it's two things: firstly, the experience thing. I've never
> > done anything like this before, and I'm sure there are plenty of
> > others who have far more experience who can do a far better job for
> > Fedora than I could!
> >
> > And actually, number two is similar, but I don't think I'd be
> > confident that I could do a good enough job for Fedora on the board
> > and I certainly wouldn't want to let people down.
> >
> > That said, I'm young and maybe in a few years I'll be putting myself
> > forward to run
>
> I don't see why you couldn't nominate yourself now. The "worst" possible
> result is that you don't get enough votes to get selected. Big deal? Not
> for me. On the other end, if you do get elected you might learn a few
> things more which is always a good thing.

Absolutely agreed. You could always campaign as the political
outsider! ;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
"Jonathan Roberts"

2008/5/5 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 11:57 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >
> > > For me, it's two things: firstly, the experience thing. I've never
> > > done anything like this before, and I'm sure there are plenty of
> > > others who have far more experience who can do a far better job for
> > > Fedora than I could!
> > >
> > > And actually, number two is similar, but I don't think I'd be
> > > confident that I could do a good enough job for Fedora on the board
> > > and I certainly wouldn't want to let people down.
> > >
> > > That said, I'm young and maybe in a few years I'll be putting myself
> > > forward to run
> >
> > I don't see why you couldn't nominate yourself now. The "worst" possible
> > result is that you don't get enough votes to get selected. Big deal? Not
> > for me. On the other end, if you do get elected you might learn a few
> > things more which is always a good thing.
>
> Absolutely agreed. You could always campaign as the political
> outsider! ;-)

OK - count me in...

Jon

Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 AM
"Jon Stanley"

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely agreed. You could always campaign as the political
> outsider! ;-)

Well, with what Paul said, I may as well announce my candidacy as
well. I'm a relatively new contributor to Fedora, however, I am a
long time user of Fedora (at least from FC2 onwards). I think that I
can bring a lot to the table, in terms of past experience, both in
Fedora and in th Real World(TM). Part of what I do for my job is to
develop an IT transformation strategy for a wide variety of clients.
This involves taking a detailed look at where you are today, and where
you want to be. Then my job is to develop a strategy to get you from
point A to point B, both at a tactical (how do I confront the
challenges that I'm faced with today), as well as a strategic (what do
I need to do in the long term to avoid being where I'm at today
again?) level. This sounds an awful lot like what the mission of the
Fedora Board is, and it's what I do daily and what I enjoy to do.

Along the way, I face many thorny issues, sometimes due to people that
are opposed to change, and sometimes, there are really deep technical
issues that require a thorough understanding in order to resolve. Is
it always a pleasure to do these things? Absolutely not. However,
someone has to do them.=, and I think I do a fairly good job of
balancing the needs of all parties involved in such a decision.

Now onto my Fedora contributions. I successfully (I think, you be the
judge) relaunched the bug triage process, and we have a number of
community contributors in that space today, including myself. I'm
very active in QA, and I now maintain a few packages as well (nothing
major). I'm also a Fedora Ambassador, though I have not really done
any formal events to date, though I give impromptu talks occasionally.
I'm also going to lend an encouraging hand (though not play an
"active" role, because I don't have a creative bone in my body for
websites) in the relaunch of the websites group, drawing on my
experience in reviving another fledgling group .

One of the most important issues that I would champion should I be
elected is building community around "non-traditional" contributors to
Fedora. This includes having subject-matter experts in the area of
marketing (I really like how this is going), artwork, websites,
documentation, bug triage, etc. There are a number of opportunities
and needs within Fedora that cannot be served by the typical
developer/sysadmin that we generally attract that are needing people
to get involved. I think that the one of the reasons that we've been
somewhat less than successful in this area is that the potential
contributors would love to get involved, they simply don't that Fedora
exists and needs these people, or they do, and are not sure where to
start. This is a critical growth area for Fedora, in my opinion.

Now that all the heavy "who am i and what are my qualifications" stuff
is out of the way, the lighter side:

Seth, you need to add "yum make-me-some-stlouis-bbq". I miss that
here in NYC. The permissions on that shouldn't be relaxed, as
significant damage can come from non-root users operating the grill.

I will ride the New York City Subway in a suit tomorrow, but I'll just
blend in with everyone else. I will not have Fedora handwork in easy
camera framing range, however, my work laptop (which, in the interest
of full disclosure, runs Windows due to corporate standards) has a
Shadowman sticker covering the Dell logo. Does that count?

Dennis, make Fedora work on my toaster as a secondary arch! I want a
koji.toaster.fedoraproject.org up ASAP!

Thanks for taking the time to lead this long mail
-Jon