Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default spins in f19

Redirecting from spins@.

Dennis Gilmore (dennis@ausil.us) said:
> [the multi-desktop DVD] uses grub/syslinux to select which of the 5 desktop lives you
> want to run. its designed for use by ambassadors to give out at events.
> it has both 32 and 64 bit images on it its designed for use with dual
> layer media. Release Engineering produce it for final only to be used
> to create media to be given away at events, it is not designed or
> intended for general consumption.

If it's not intended for general consumption, why on earth is it
what we give away at events? Shouldn't what we give to people
be something that is intended for general consumption?

Bill

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
inode0

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Redirecting from spins@.
>
> Dennis Gilmore (dennis@ausil.us) said:
>> [the multi-desktop DVD] uses grub/syslinux to select which of the 5 desktop lives you
>> want to run. its designed for use by ambassadors to give out at events.
>> it has both 32 and 64 bit images on it its designed for use with dual
>> layer media. Release Engineering produce it for final only to be used
>> to create media to be given away at events, it is not designed or
>> intended for general consumption.
>
> If it's not intended for general consumption, why on earth is it
> what we give away at events? Shouldn't what we give to people
> be something that is intended for general consumption?

It is clearly meant for general consumption via pressed media but
wasn't intended for general consumption via download from the mirrors.

John

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Dienstag, den 29.01.2013, 12:48 -0500 schrieb Bill Nottingham:
> Redirecting from spins@.
>
> Dennis Gilmore (dennis@ausil.us) said:
> > [the multi-desktop DVD] uses grub/syslinux to select which of the 5 desktop lives you
> > want to run. its designed for use by ambassadors to give out at events.
> > it has both 32 and 64 bit images on it its designed for use with dual
> > layer media. Release Engineering produce it for final only to be used
> > to create media to be given away at events, it is not designed or
> > intended for general consumption.
>
> If it's not intended for general consumption, why on earth is it
> what we give away at events?

Because it hard to guess in advance what people want: GNOME, KDE, Xfce,
LXDE, i386, x86_64. You always run out of something and we ended up
shipping media back and forth. With the multi-images, live has become so
much easier for the Ambassadors - not to mention that we cut costs by
over 50% (or by 400% if you consider one DVD 8 CDs).

> Shouldn't what we give to people be something that is intended for
> general consumption?

Sure, but what defines "intended for general consumption"?

Best regards,
Christoph

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Bill Nottingham

Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert@gmail.com) said:
> Am Dienstag, den 29.01.2013, 12:48 -0500 schrieb Bill Nottingham:
> > Redirecting from spins@.
> >
> > Dennis Gilmore (dennis@ausil.us) said:
> > > [the multi-desktop DVD] uses grub/syslinux to select which of the 5 desktop lives you
> > > want to run. its designed for use by ambassadors to give out at events.
> > > it has both 32 and 64 bit images on it its designed for use with dual
> > > layer media. Release Engineering produce it for final only to be used
> > > to create media to be given away at events, it is not designed or
> > > intended for general consumption.
> >
> > If it's not intended for general consumption, why on earth is it
> > what we give away at events?
>
> Because it hard to guess in advance what people want: GNOME, KDE, Xfce,
> LXDE, i386, x86_64. You always run out of something and we ended up
> shipping media back and forth. With the multi-images, live has become so
> much easier for the Ambassadors - not to mention that we cut costs by
> over 50% (or by 400% if you consider one DVD 8 CDs).
>
> > Shouldn't what we give to people be something that is intended for
> > general consumption?
>
> Sure, but what defines "intended for general consumption"?

I don't know, I'm just going by how Dennis described it. I'm also
concerned that part of the problem is having essentially 8 deliverables
that people might want at the show that requires this level of hacking
together but I realize that not everyone shares that opinion.

Bill

Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:59:30 -0600
inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Bill Nottingham
> <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Redirecting from spins@.
> >
> > Dennis Gilmore (dennis@ausil.us) said:
> >> [the multi-desktop DVD] uses grub/syslinux to select which of the
> >> 5 desktop lives you want to run. its designed for use by
> >> ambassadors to give out at events. it has both 32 and 64 bit
> >> images on it its designed for use with dual layer media. Release
> >> Engineering produce it for final only to be used to create media
> >> to be given away at events, it is not designed or intended for
> >> general consumption.
> >
> > If it's not intended for general consumption, why on earth is it
> > what we give away at events? Shouldn't what we give to people
> > be something that is intended for general consumption?
>
> It is clearly meant for general consumption via pressed media but
> wasn't intended for general consumption via download from the mirrors.
>
> John

Exactly what John said, poor choice of wording on my behalf

Dennis

Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Tom Callaway

On 01/30/2013 10:55 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> I don't know, I'm just going by how Dennis described it. I'm also
> concerned that part of the problem is having essentially 8 deliverables
> that people might want at the show that requires this level of hacking
> together but I realize that not everyone shares that opinion.

To be fair, the only reason it had a higher level of "hacking together"
this time around was Secure Boot. Normally, it isn't much complexity at all.

(Says the guy who wrote the disgusting pile of python that makes the
master ISO)

~tom

==
Fedora Project