Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Lynn Dixon

Default Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

Hello everyone!In light of the recent opening of suggestions for Fedora 19 Names (*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_19*), I wanted to bring this topic back up.*

A few months ago, we had loosely discussed the possibility of using the Periodic Table of Elements as sources of names for future Fedora releases. *Since there was a lot of discussion, I did not include the entire email chain below, but here is a link to the archives for a refresher: *http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2012-July/011736.html* *

So, is it even possible to refresh this discussion? Do we still think this is something we should persue?
Thanks!Lynn

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Jon Ciesla <limburgher@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting.

>>> I like it, but difficult to do with many elements. *The only thing I

>>> can think of that rhymes with oxygen is doxygen.

>> doesn't xen rhyme with oxygen? Or is oxygen like orange

> True. *It's things ending in 'inium' that get hairy.

As I think was pointed out earlier Scientific Linux has used

Beryllium, Boron, and Carbon as its last three code names which would

make a variation of this unappealing to me anyway as it lacks

originality. Sometimes good ideas have just already been taken by

others.

>> In any case, the issue is that elements are trademarked left and

>> right. Planets, mythology, astronomy are trademarked left and right.

>> Which brings up the question.. when does trying to avoid trademark

>> problems take longer and more work than it takes to have something

>> fun? Especially when it is something so ethereal to only last a year

>> to 18 months?

> Yeah. *<sigh>

When those doing the work say they won't do it any longer?

John

Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM
"Eric H. Christensen"

Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 10:20 -0400, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> We had to go forward with the 'traditional' way of naming for F19
> because we just ran out of time to really discuss what people wanted.
> We *will* be putting together a means for people to share their ideas
> about new naming schemas in the near future,

To be fair, we have this wiki page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Suggestions_for_Fedora_Codename_Theme

~m

Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Jaroslav Reznik

> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 10:20 -0400, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> > We had to go forward with the 'traditional' way of naming for F19
> > because we just ran out of time to really discuss what people
> > wanted.
> > We *will* be putting together a means for people to share their
> > ideas
> > about new naming schemas in the near future,
>
> To be fair, we have this wiki page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Suggestions_for_Fedora_Codename_Theme

The thing is - we have not agreed on any of these suggestions and as
always - suddenly was too late to take an action as there are rules
when the elections should be started... And we need strong agreement
within community, that means a strong proposal. And of course, we're
still open for any suggestions/proposals.

Jaroslav

Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:18 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> The thing is - we have not agreed on any of these suggestions and as
> always - suddenly was too late to take an action as there are rules
> when the elections should be started... And we need strong agreement
> within community, that means a strong proposal. And of course, we're
> still open for any suggestions/proposals.

Are there too many suggestions, then? Is asking for more proposals going
to be productive, if so?

~m

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM
inode0

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:18 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> The thing is - we have not agreed on any of these suggestions and as
>> always - suddenly was too late to take an action as there are rules
>> when the elections should be started... And we need strong agreement
>> within community, that means a strong proposal. And of course, we're
>> still open for any suggestions/proposals.
>
> Are there too many suggestions, then? Is asking for more proposals going
> to be productive, if so?

I wonder if the board is waiting for a proposal to emerge from all the
ideas floated so far that the community supports and those involved in
making proposals are waiting for the board to choose one?

What really needs to happen here for us to make progress?

John

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Clint Savage

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:18 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>>> The thing is - we have not agreed on any of these suggestions and as
>>> always - suddenly was too late to take an action as there are rules
>>> when the elections should be started... And we need strong agreement
>>> within community, that means a strong proposal. And of course, we're
>>> still open for any suggestions/proposals.
>>
>> Are there too many suggestions, then? Is asking for more proposals going
>> to be productive, if so?
>
> I wonder if the board is waiting for a proposal to emerge from all the
> ideas floated so far that the community supports and those involved in
> making proposals are waiting for the board to choose one?
>
> What really needs to happen here for us to make progress?
>
> John

Not to throw any more flame on the fire, but I really prefer the
current method (the one we've used since Fedora's inception). I really
dislike the direction this has taken. The current mechanism works just
fine for most folks, or they don't care. I think spinning our wheels
on a decision to move forward is probably more one of 'why are we
doing this again?' syndrome. I'm not sure the connotation analysis
that started this conversation really represented the feelings of
everyone in the Fedora community. It certainly didn't for me.

That said, I'm not here to start a flame war or say that a new method
shouldn't happen. I'm more interested in just keeping the status quo
here, since it's fun for those who participate and otherwise not very
painful from my point of view.

Clint

Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Lynn Dixon

John,If I knew what we needed to do to go forward with this, I would be happy to help drive it to some sort of conclusions (either yea or nea). *I am still a little new to being an ambassador, but I am willing to learn the ropes for stuff like this.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 PM
"Eric H. Christensen"

Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:34 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> Not to throw any more flame on the fire, but I really prefer the
> current method (the one we've used since Fedora's inception). I really
> dislike the direction this has taken. The current mechanism works just
> fine for most folks, or they don't care. I think spinning our wheels
> on a decision to move forward is probably more one of 'why are we
> doing this again?' syndrome. I'm not sure the connotation analysis
> that started this conversation really represented the feelings of
> everyone in the Fedora community. It certainly didn't for me.

The current trend of our naming scheme is highly embarrassing and the
media unfortunately agrees. Here's one chock full of quotes from
prominent Fedora contributors who don't like it either:

http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/

The folks who came up with the naming scheme themselves have said enough
is enough.

~m