Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Lynn Dixon

Default Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

I completely agree with*Mirn. *Beefy Miracle and Spherical Cow just sounds silly to me. *I would hate to see the Fedora status quo become silly, and ridiculed by the Linux community.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Mirn Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:34 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:

> Not to throw any more flame on the fire, but I really prefer the

> current method (the one we've used since Fedora's inception). I really

> dislike the direction this has taken. The current mechanism works just

> fine for most folks, or they don't care. I think spinning our wheels

> on a decision to move forward is probably more one of 'why are we

> doing this again?' syndrome. I'm not sure the connotation analysis

> that started this conversation really represented the feelings of

> everyone in the Fedora community. It certainly didn't for me.

The current trend of our naming scheme is highly embarrassing and the

media unfortunately agrees. Here's one chock full of quotes from

prominent Fedora contributors who don't like it either:

http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/

The folks who came up with the naming scheme themselves have said enough

is enough.

~m

Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Peter Robinson

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Mirn Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:34 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
>> Not to throw any more flame on the fire, but I really prefer the
>> current method (the one we've used since Fedora's inception). I really
>> dislike the direction this has taken. The current mechanism works just
>> fine for most folks, or they don't care. I think spinning our wheels
>> on a decision to move forward is probably more one of 'why are we
>> doing this again?' syndrome. I'm not sure the connotation analysis
>> that started this conversation really represented the feelings of
>> everyone in the Fedora community. It certainly didn't for me.
>
> The current trend of our naming scheme is highly embarrassing and the
> media unfortunately agrees. Here's one chock full of quotes from
> prominent Fedora contributors who don't like it either:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/
>
> The folks who came up with the naming scheme themselves have said enough
> is enough.

Were you not one of the people that was on the beefy miracle band wagon?

Peter

Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Mirn Duffy

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 16:46 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Were you not one of the people that was on the beefy miracle band wagon?

Whether or not that's the case, does that really matter, Peter?

~m

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Seth Vidal