-   -   CWG Recharter Strawman (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/699224-cwg-recharter-strawman.html)

Rex Dieter 08-30-2012 05:42 PM

CWG Recharter Strawman

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a
> proposal for a new Community Working Group Charter.

love it. +1

-- rex

Luis Enrique Bazán De León 08-30-2012 05:43 PM

CWG Recharter Strawman

+1

Best Regards!!

2012/8/30 Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu>

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a

> proposal for a new Community Working Group Charter.

love it. +1

-- rex

Luis Enrique Bazán De León

Jon Ciesla 08-30-2012 06:17 PM

CWG Recharter Strawman

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a proposal
> for a new Community Working Group Charter.
>
> Note that this is just a strawman at this point -- other Board members
> haven't reviewed this. There's definitely room for people on this list to
> have other ideas incorporated here.
>
> The last paragraph of the Mission and duties section is the direction that
> I'm working towards in this proposal so I can try to incorporate anything
> that supports this. If you'd like to work towards a different overall goal,
> it might be better to provide an alternate proposal instead.
>
> = Community Working Group =
>
> == Mission and duties ==
>
> The mission of the CWG is to make the environment within the Fedora Project a
> more pleasant place by helping contributors to communicate better with each
> other.
>
> Specific duties of the Community Working Group may include:
>
> * Serving as mediators[1]_ to facilitate a discussion between two parties
> * Defusing tensions in a situation by helping to clarify ideas
> * Helping to frame debates in terms of problems to be overcome to achieve a
> goal
> * Helping to make decisions address as many concerns as possible without
> sacrificing their core value
> * Alerting governance bodies that do enforcement of any conflicts that may have
> escalated beyond the CWG's ability to defuse the situation.
>
> Specific anti-duties of the Community Working Group:
>
> * Playing the role of arbitrator[1]_ in a dispute
> * Making judgements in a dispute
>
> As a group, the Community Working Group seeks to provide people who are neutral
> third parties to aid in communication, defusing tense situations, and keeping
> conversations flowing along productive paths.
>
> .. [1]_:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitration -- the introduction has
> a description of the difference between mediation and arbitration
>
> == Selection policy ==
>
> The initial members of the CWG shall be chosen by the Board. After the initial
> bootstrapping, the Board envisions the CWG allowing others to join by showing
> up to participate in the group. The Board strongly believes that the CWG will
> need to establish procedures and precedents for itself so that new members of
> the group are given responsibilities gradually. The current members of the
> group should have the power to limit what issues new members are able to take
> on in an official CWG capacity until they feel the new member has the necessary
> skills to alleviate tensions and serve the needs of all sides of a dispute.
> How the CWG chooses to do this is up to the current members.

Excellent, modulo the eventual procedures CWG creates, but this is a
great start.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/

"Jared K. Smith" 08-30-2012 06:53 PM

CWG Recharter Strawman

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a proposal
> for a new Community Working Group Charter.

+1 from me -- It is clearly in line with my own thinking on the duties
(and anti-duties, as you call them) of the CWG.

--
Jared Smith

Peter Robinson 08-30-2012 07:28 PM

CWG Recharter Strawman

On 30 Aug 2012 18:13, "Toshio Kuratomi" <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a proposal

> for a new Community Working Group Charter.

> Note that this is just a strawman at this point -- other Board members

> haven't reviewed this. *There's definitely room for people on this list to

> have other ideas incorporated here.

> The last paragraph of the Mission and duties section is the direction that

> I'm working towards in this proposal so I can try to incorporate anything

> that supports this. *If you'd like to work towards a different overall goal,

> it might be better to provide an alternate proposal instead.

> = Community Working Group =

> == Mission and duties ==

> The mission of the CWG is to make the environment within the Fedora Project a

> more pleasant place by helping contributors to communicate better with each

> other.

> Specific duties of the Community Working Group may include:

> * Serving as mediators[1]_ to facilitate a discussion between two parties

> * Defusing tensions in a situation by helping to clarify ideas

> * Helping to frame debates in terms of problems to be overcome to achieve a

> goal

> * Helping to make decisions address as many concerns as possible without

> sacrificing their core value

> * Alerting governance bodies that do enforcement of any conflicts that may have

> escalated beyond the CWG's ability to defuse the situation.

> Specific anti-duties of the Community Working Group:

> * Playing the role of arbitrator[1]_ in a dispute

> * Making judgements in a dispute

> As a group, the Community Working Group seeks to provide people who are neutral

> third parties to aid in communication, defusing tense situations, and keeping

> conversations flowing along productive paths.

> .. [1]_:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitration -- the introduction has

> * * * * * a description of the difference between mediation and arbitration

> == Selection policy ==

> The initial members of the CWG shall be chosen by the Board. *After the initial

> bootstrapping, the Board envisions the CWG allowing others to join by showing

> up to participate in the group. *The Board strongly believes that the CWG will

> need to establish procedures and precedents for itself so that new members of

> the group are given responsibilities gradually. *The current members of the

> group should have the power to limit what issues new members are able to take

> on in an official CWG capacity until they feel the new member has the necessary

> skills to alleviate tensions and serve the needs of all sides of a dispute.

> How the CWG chooses to do this is up to the current members.

+1 from me

Peter

Garrett Holmstrom 08-31-2012 03:23 AM

CWG Recharter Strawman

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a proposal
> for a new Community Working Group Charter.
>
> Note that this is just a strawman at this point -- other Board members
> haven't reviewed this. There's definitely room for people on this list to
> have other ideas incorporated here.
>
> The last paragraph of the Mission and duties section is the direction that
> I'm working towards in this proposal so I can try to incorporate anything
> that supports this. If you'd like to work towards a different overall goal,
> it might be better to provide an alternate proposal instead.
>
> = Community Working Group =
>
> == Mission and duties ==
>
> The mission of the CWG is to make the environment within the Fedora Project a
> more pleasant place by helping contributors to communicate better with each
> other.
>
> Specific duties of the Community Working Group may include:
>
> * Serving as mediators[1]_ to facilitate a discussion between two parties
> * Defusing tensions in a situation by helping to clarify ideas
> * Helping to frame debates in terms of problems to be overcome to achieve a
> goal
> * Helping to make decisions address as many concerns as possible without
> sacrificing their core value
> * Alerting governance bodies that do enforcement of any conflicts that may have
> escalated beyond the CWG's ability to defuse the situation.
>
> Specific anti-duties of the Community Working Group:
>
> * Playing the role of arbitrator[1]_ in a dispute
> * Making judgements in a dispute
>
> As a group, the Community Working Group seeks to provide people who are neutral
> third parties to aid in communication, defusing tense situations, and keeping
> conversations flowing along productive paths.
>
> .. [1]_:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitration -- the introduction has
> a description of the difference between mediation and arbitration
>
> == Selection policy ==
>
> The initial members of the CWG shall be chosen by the Board. After the initial
> bootstrapping, the Board envisions the CWG allowing others to join by showing
> up to participate in the group. The Board strongly believes that the CWG will
> need to establish procedures and precedents for itself so that new members of
> the group are given responsibilities gradually. The current members of the
> group should have the power to limit what issues new members are able to take
> on in an official CWG capacity until they feel the new member has the necessary
> skills to alleviate tensions and serve the needs of all sides of a dispute.
> How the CWG chooses to do this is up to the current members.

This is great! +1.

Guillermo Gómez 09-20-2012 05:00 PM

CWG Recharter Strawman

+1 i like it, its a great start

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following up on my action item from the IRC Board Meeting, here's a proposal
> for a new Community Working Group Charter.
>
> Note that this is just a strawman at this point -- other Board members
> haven't reviewed this. There's definitely room for people on this list to
> have other ideas incorporated here.
>
> The last paragraph of the Mission and duties section is the direction that
> I'm working towards in this proposal so I can try to incorporate anything
> that supports this. If you'd like to work towards a different overall goal,
> it might be better to provide an alternate proposal instead.
>
> = Community Working Group =
>
> == Mission and duties ==
>
> The mission of the CWG is to make the environment within the Fedora Project a
> more pleasant place by helping contributors to communicate better with each
> other.
>
> Specific duties of the Community Working Group may include:
>
> * Serving as mediators[1]_ to facilitate a discussion between two parties
> * Defusing tensions in a situation by helping to clarify ideas
> * Helping to frame debates in terms of problems to be overcome to achieve a
> goal
> * Helping to make decisions address as many concerns as possible without
> sacrificing their core value
> * Alerting governance bodies that do enforcement of any conflicts that may have
> escalated beyond the CWG's ability to defuse the situation.
>
> Specific anti-duties of the Community Working Group:
>
> * Playing the role of arbitrator[1]_ in a dispute
> * Making judgements in a dispute
>
> As a group, the Community Working Group seeks to provide people who are neutral
> third parties to aid in communication, defusing tense situations, and keeping
> conversations flowing along productive paths.
>
> .. [1]_:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitration -- the introduction has
> a description of the difference between mediation and arbitration
>
> == Selection policy ==
>
> The initial members of the CWG shall be chosen by the Board. After the initial
> bootstrapping, the Board envisions the CWG allowing others to join by showing
> up to participate in the group. The Board strongly believes that the CWG will
> need to establish procedures and precedents for itself so that new members of
> the group are given responsibilities gradually. The current members of the
> group should have the power to limit what issues new members are able to take
> on in an official CWG capacity until they feel the new member has the necessary
> skills to alleviate tensions and serve the needs of all sides of a dispute.
> How the CWG chooses to do this is up to the current members.

--
Ing.Guillermo Gomez S.
http://gomix.fedora-ve.org