Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM
denis

Default Fedora naming proposal

Hello,

I suggest that given that Red Hat is a fixed colour (red)
Fedora should use a new colour name as the name of each release.

- There is plenty of colour names,
- It is easy to understand and remember world wide
- It is non controversary

Denis

Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Peter Robinson

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM, denis <denis.a.b@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I suggest that given that Red Hat is a fixed colour (red)
> Fedora should use a new colour name as the name of each release.
>
> - There is plenty of colour names,
> - It is easy to understand and remember world wide
> - It is non controversary

But Fedora's colour is Blue (and don't ask me for the specific blue,
it's in the wiki) so it would be against our brand and trademark
guidelines and hence could be considered controversial :-)

Peter

Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM
denis

I re-read the trademark guidelines and the logo usage guidelines,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines

Well i still believe that it is the logo ("fedora" + infinite-f) that is
blue.
A fedora build (or version) might well have a specific coulour or
"flavour" associated to it.

Let's agree the colour choice may be controversial, but I hope you
underestand my idea. it is a more abstract theme choice than all I could
read.

Another theme idea is for instance a "material", like
wood / crystal / diamond / gold
An abstract theme permits a closer relation between the theme and the
version
A specific choice may be more exciting on the short term, but the
relation between
the theme and the fedora version is sort of "imposed" and does not leave
as much place to imagination...

Denis

Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Lynn Dixon

Denis,One thing to keep in mind with naming conventions based on materials like wood / crystal / diamond etc, is that people would tend to think of these names as a progression from good to best. *Since Fedora has a very fast release cycle, once we ended up at something like platinum, where would we go next? Into the heavy elements? *

What about this:We come up with some sort of voting system to identify the person whom contributed the most forward thinking ideas, most useful code contribution, or did something spectacular for the upcoming release. *The, we name the release after that persons hometown. *This keeps the community involved in voting for the name, as well as the community being able to identify and cheer for the person that had the most impact during that release.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Luis Villa

http://xkcd.com/1056/

Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 AM
"Eric "Sparks" Christensen"

Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Lynn Dixon

I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with hydrogen.

Heres my suggestion for fedora 18 naming votes.: Haptic Hydrogen