Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Pam Chestek

Default Fedora naming proposal

On 7/31/2012 12:01 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> *IANAL ALERT*
>>>
>>> I think there's an advantage to added an adjective to the front in that
>>> it makes it less likely there's a trademark conflict.
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 10:35 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> That makes sense, but *please* no alliteration, for aforementioned reasons.
> Some ideas to differentiate:
>
> - Adverbs instead of adjectives
>
> - Rhymes instead of alliteration
>
> ~m
>
> _
Don't add a second word just because you think it helps avoid
infringement. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends on what the
primary word is. The "yes" cases tend to be where a word is descriptive
or ubiquitous, like "ultra," "platform," or "open." Where the primary
word is more distinctive (like a planet name or element), it is less
likely that adding a second word will jump the hurdle of making name
usable when the primary word alone is not. Add a second word only if
there is independent value in doing so, like making it more memorable,
funny, fun, etc.

Pam

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
>> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
>> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
>> on which element to choose for the next release name? This gives us a
>> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
>> the community choose which name to use.
>
> Could we do periodic table + a modifier of some sort that isn't
> alliteration? Would that help alleviate trademark concerns? I love
> having some connection between science and Fedora, it seems natural.
>
> Maybe we could do the element corresponding to the release number, and
> have the community choose a modifier? Although I think a lot of the
> cooler names are in the numbers we've already passed
>
> Also Chromium will be interesting

Hmm. What about anniversary materials? Fedora Diamond, Fedora Paper,
Fedora Earthenware. . .

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/

Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 31 July 2012 10:06, Jon Ciesla <limburgher@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 10:35 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>>> That makes sense, but *please* no alliteration, for aforementioned reasons.
>>
>> Some ideas to differentiate:
>>
>> - Adverbs instead of adjectives
>
> Interesting.
>
>> - Rhymes instead of alliteration
>
> I like it, but difficult to do with many elements. The only thing I
> can think of that rhymes with oxygen is doxygen.

doesn't xen rhyme with oxygen? Or is oxygen like orange

In any case, the issue is that elements are trademarked left and
right. Planets, mythology, astronomy are trademarked left and right.
Which brings up the question.. when does trying to avoid trademark
problems take longer and more work than it takes to have something
fun? Especially when it is something so ethereal to only last a year
to 18 months?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."

Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Some ideas to differentiate:
>>>
>>> - Adverbs instead of adjectives
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>>> - Rhymes instead of alliteration
>>
>> I like it, but difficult to do with many elements. The only thing I
>> can think of that rhymes with oxygen is doxygen.
>
> doesn't xen rhyme with oxygen? Or is oxygen like orange

True. It's things ending in 'inium' that get hairy.

> In any case, the issue is that elements are trademarked left and
> right. Planets, mythology, astronomy are trademarked left and right.
> Which brings up the question.. when does trying to avoid trademark
> problems take longer and more work than it takes to have something
> fun? Especially when it is something so ethereal to only last a year
> to 18 months?

Yeah. <sigh>

Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
inode0

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Jon Ciesla <limburgher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting.

>>> I like it, but difficult to do with many elements. The only thing I
>>> can think of that rhymes with oxygen is doxygen.
>>
>> doesn't xen rhyme with oxygen? Or is oxygen like orange
>
> True. It's things ending in 'inium' that get hairy.

As I think was pointed out earlier Scientific Linux has used
Beryllium, Boron, and Carbon as its last three code names which would
make a variation of this unappealing to me anyway as it lacks
originality. Sometimes good ideas have just already been taken by
others.

>> In any case, the issue is that elements are trademarked left and
>> right. Planets, mythology, astronomy are trademarked left and right.
>> Which brings up the question.. when does trying to avoid trademark
>> problems take longer and more work than it takes to have something
>> fun? Especially when it is something so ethereal to only last a year
>> to 18 months?
>
> Yeah. <sigh>

When those doing the work say they won't do it any longer?

John