Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

Default Fedora naming proposal

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with hydrogen.
>
> Why do you want to start at 1? If this idea is taken, that would be
> best to add the offset, and directly start at Argon for F18 or
> Potassium for F19.

Amusingly enough, Scientific Linux has been doing this since 2005,
beginning with SL 4 (Beryllium).

Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
> on which element to choose for the next release name? This gives us a
> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
> the community choose which name to use.

I love this However, I do think a lot of the more base elements have
prior software names. E.g., hydrogen drum machine, carbon (there are a
bunch of software products called carbon, notably Apple's API), nitrogen
player, lithium monitoring software, etc.

So I think it's a brilliant idea but in practice it might become a bit
challenging to get legal clearance on the best potential names.

~m

Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 14:11 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That makes perfect sense! Matching the release number with the atomic number
> > is a great idea.
> > So, here's my updated name suggestions:
> > Fedora 18 Agile Argon
> > Fedora 19 Perfect Potassium
>
> Why are you adding Agile and Perfect to the front of the names? It
> makes it sound like some other distribution. Why not just Argon or
> Potassium?

*IANAL ALERT*

I think there's an advantage to added an adjective to the front in that
it makes it less likely there's a trademark conflict.

~m

Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 14:11 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > That makes perfect sense! Matching the release number with the atomic number
>> > is a great idea.
>> > So, here's my updated name suggestions:
>> > Fedora 18 Agile Argon
>> > Fedora 19 Perfect Potassium
>>
>> Why are you adding Agile and Perfect to the front of the names? It
>> makes it sound like some other distribution. Why not just Argon or
>> Potassium?
>
> *IANAL ALERT*
>
> I think there's an advantage to added an adjective to the front in that
> it makes it less likely there's a trademark conflict.

That makes sense, but *please* no alliteration, for aforementioned reasons.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/

Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Kévin Raymond

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
>> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
>> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
>> on which element to choose for the next release name? This gives us a
>> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
>> the community choose which name to use.
>
> I love this However, I do think a lot of the more base elements have
> prior software names. E.g., hydrogen drum machine, carbon (there are a
> bunch of software products called carbon, notably Apple's API), nitrogen
> player, lithium monitoring software, etc.
>
> So I think it's a brilliant idea but in practice it might become a bit
> challenging to get legal clearance on the best potential names.
>
> ~m

What about planet and galaxies?
Stars lead our dreams and help our creativity.
Humans would love to reach them.
Solar has already been used, and some are really frequent but there
should be few exceptions.

(Wanted to check the wiki page but couldn't find the url on my current computer)

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Lynn Dixon

The problem with using galaxies and planets is that most are named after gods and goddesses or prominent scientists. This could lead to some religions being offended or some scientist or their living relatives getting upset.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 17:36 +0200, Kévin Raymond wrote:
> What about planet and galaxies?
> Stars lead our dreams and help our creativity.
> Humans would love to reach them.
> Solar has already been used, and some are really frequent but there
> should be few exceptions.
>
> (Wanted to check the wiki page but couldn't find the url on my current computer)

It was proposed but turned down I think for similar reasons - a lot of
software products are already named after astral bodies. E.g. we have
constellations, stars/galaxies, nebulae, moons - all problematic, sadly.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Suggestions_for_Fedora_Codename_Theme

~m

Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 10:35 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> That makes sense, but *please* no alliteration, for aforementioned reasons.

Some ideas to differentiate:

- Adverbs instead of adjectives

- Rhymes instead of alliteration

~m

Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> > *IANAL ALERT*
>> >
>> > I think there's an advantage to added an adjective to the front in that
>> > it makes it less likely there's a trademark conflict.
>>
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 10:35 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> That makes sense, but *please* no alliteration, for aforementioned reasons.
>
> Some ideas to differentiate:
>
> - Adverbs instead of adjectives

Interesting.

> - Rhymes instead of alliteration

I like it, but difficult to do with many elements. The only thing I
can think of that rhymes with oxygen is doxygen.

-J

Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
> on which element to choose for the next release name? This gives us a
> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
> the community choose which name to use.

Could we do periodic table + a modifier of some sort that isn't
alliteration? Would that help alleviate trademark concerns? I love
having some connection between science and Fedora, it seems natural.

Maybe we could do the element corresponding to the release number, and
have the community choose a modifier? Although I think a lot of the
cooler names are in the numbers we've already passed

Also Chromium will be interesting

~m