FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Advisory Board

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Lynn Dixon
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

That makes perfect sense! Matching the release number with the atomic number is a great idea.

So, here's my updated name suggestions:

Fedora 18 Agile Argon

Fedora 19 Perfect Potassium

On Jul 30, 2012 7:04 AM, "Antonio Trande" <anto.trande@gmail.com> wrote:
2012/7/30 Kévin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org>


On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with hydrogen.



Why do you want to start at 1? If this idea is taken, that would be

best to add the offset, and directly start at Argon for F18 or

Potassium for F19.
Interesting ! I like it.Fedora release number = Atomic number of the elementElement name = Fedora name
So no voting.


--
Antonio Trande
"Fedora Ambassador""Fedora italian translation group"

"Blogger"

mail: mailto:sagitter@fedoraproject.org

Homepage: http://www.fedora-os.org

Sip Address
: sip:sagitter AT ekiga.netJabber
:sagitter AT jabber.orgGPG Key: 19E6DF27






_______________________________________________

advisory-board mailing list

advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
"Jared K. Smith"
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with
> hydrogen.

While there are many pros and cons to this scheme, let me remind
people that we already used Sulpher, and it wasn't the most popular of
release names.

--
Jared Smith
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Jon Ciesla
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> That makes perfect sense! Matching the release number with the atomic number
> is a great idea.
> So, here's my updated name suggestions:
> Fedora 18 Agile Argon
> Fedora 19 Perfect Potassium

I'd like to avoid alliteration, if possible, that's widely identified
with Ubuntu, it's sort of their "shtick" if you will.

-J

> On Jul 30, 2012 7:04 AM, "Antonio Trande" <anto.trande@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/7/30 Kévin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >> I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with
>>> >> hydrogen.
>>>
>>> Why do you want to start at 1? If this idea is taken, that would be
>>> best to add the offset, and directly start at Argon for F18 or
>>> Potassium for F19.
>>
>>
>> Interesting ! I like it.
>> Fedora release number = Atomic number of the element
>> Element name = Fedora name
>>
>> So no voting.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Antonio Trande
>> "Fedora Ambassador"
>> "Fedora italian translation group"
>> "Blogger"
>>
>> mail: mailto:sagitter@fedoraproject.org
>> Homepage: http://www.fedora-os.org
>> Sip Address : sip:sagitter AT ekiga.net
>> Jabber :sagitter AT jabber.org
>> GPG Key: 19E6DF27
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> advisory-board mailing list
>> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board



--
http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/
------------------------------------------------
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Peter Robinson
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> That makes perfect sense! Matching the release number with the atomic number
> is a great idea.
> So, here's my updated name suggestions:
> Fedora 18 Agile Argon
> Fedora 19 Perfect Potassium

Why are you adding Agile and Perfect to the front of the names? It
makes it sound like some other distribution. Why not just Argon or
Potassium?

Peter

> On Jul 30, 2012 7:04 AM, "Antonio Trande" <anto.trande@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/7/30 Kévin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >> I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with
>>> >> hydrogen.
>>>
>>> Why do you want to start at 1? If this idea is taken, that would be
>>> best to add the offset, and directly start at Argon for F18 or
>>> Potassium for F19.
>>
>>
>> Interesting ! I like it.
>> Fedora release number = Atomic number of the element
>> Element name = Fedora name
>>
>> So no voting.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Antonio Trande
>> "Fedora Ambassador"
>> "Fedora italian translation group"
>> "Blogger"
>>
>> mail: mailto:sagitter@fedoraproject.org
>> Homepage: http://www.fedora-os.org
>> Sip Address : sip:sagitter AT ekiga.net
>> Jabber :sagitter AT jabber.org
>> GPG Key: 19E6DF27
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> advisory-board mailing list
>> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Lynn Dixon
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

Well, since Sulpher has an atomic number of 16 we won't be using it again since we are starting at Atomic number 18 Argon. *I am fine with dropping the alliteration, I as only adding it to keep the current two part name like "Beefy Miracle". *I can see how it resembles other distros, so I am cool with just sticking with the Periodic table of elements. *There will end up being some really awesome names coming up like Rubidium, and Caesium later on.*



On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:


On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:



> I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with

> hydrogen.



While there are many pros and cons to this scheme, let me remind

people that we already used Sulpher, and it wasn't the most popular of

release names.



--

Jared Smith

_______________________________________________

advisory-board mailing list

advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Peter Robinson
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, since Sulpher has an atomic number of 16 we won't be using it again
> since we are starting at Atomic number 18 Argon. I am fine with dropping
> the alliteration, I as only adding it to keep the current two part name like
> "Beefy Miracle". I can see how it resembles other distros, so I am cool
> with just sticking with the Periodic table of elements. There will end up
> being some really awesome names coming up like Rubidium, and Caesium later
> on.

The proposal, if it were adopted, would start at Fedora 19 at earliest.

Peter

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I like it! I vote we use the periodic table of elements starting with
>> > hydrogen.
>>
>> While there are many pros and cons to this scheme, let me remind
>> people that we already used Sulpher, and it wasn't the most popular of
>> release names.
>>
>> --
>> Jared Smith
>> _______________________________________________
>> advisory-board mailing list
>> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Pam Chestek
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

On 7/30/2012 9:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> The proposal, if it were adopted, would start at Fedora 19 at earliest.
>
We will still need to do legal clearance on the names, which will screw
up the numbering if you run into one that isn't available. It's also
not something we can do very far in advance - the trademark registers
change all the time, so we need to do our clearances at a point in time
that is relatively close to when we actually begin to use the name.

Pam
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Jaroslav Reznik
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

----- Original Message -----
> On 7/30/2012 9:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > The proposal, if it were adopted, would start at Fedora 19 at
> > earliest.
> >
> We will still need to do legal clearance on the names, which will
> screw
> up the numbering if you run into one that isn't available. It's also
> not something we can do very far in advance - the trademark registers
> change all the time, so we need to do our clearances at a point in
> time
> that is relatively close to when we actually begin to use the name.

Yep, that's not good idea to match release number to atomic number
as I'd say a lot are clear (nobody is going to call the product
Ununbium) but Cobalt - cool name! Tungsten is already used...). So it
will lead to gaps and inconsistency.

R.

>
> Pam
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Lynn Dixon
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote on which element to choose for the next release name? *This gives us a large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting the community choose which name to use.



On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@redhat.com> wrote:


----- Original Message -----

> On 7/30/2012 9:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

> > The proposal, if it were adopted, would start at Fedora 19 at

> > earliest.

> >

> We will still need to do legal clearance on the names, which will

> screw

> up the numbering if you run into one that isn't available. *It's also

> not something we can do very far in advance - the trademark registers

> change all the time, so we need to do our clearances at a point in

> time

> that is relatively close to when we actually begin to use the name.



Yep, that's not good idea to match release number to atomic number

*as I'd say a lot are clear (nobody is going to call the product

Ununbium) but Cobalt - cool name! Tungsten is already used...). So it

will lead to gaps and inconsistency.



R.



>

> Pam

> _______________________________________________

> advisory-board mailing list

> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

_______________________________________________

advisory-board mailing list

advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Zoltan Hoppar
 
Default Fedora naming proposal

Lynn +1

Thank you,

Zoltan

2012/7/30 Lynn Dixon <boodaddy@gmail.com>:
> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table of
> Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote on which
> element to choose for the next release name? This gives us a large pool of
> non-offending names to choose from, but still letting the community choose
> which name to use.
>
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> > On 7/30/2012 9:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> > > The proposal, if it were adopted, would start at Fedora 19 at
>> > > earliest.
>> > >
>> > We will still need to do legal clearance on the names, which will
>> > screw
>> > up the numbering if you run into one that isn't available. It's also
>> > not something we can do very far in advance - the trademark registers
>> > change all the time, so we need to do our clearances at a point in
>> > time
>> > that is relatively close to when we actually begin to use the name.
>>
>> Yep, that's not good idea to match release number to atomic number
>> as I'd say a lot are clear (nobody is going to call the product
>> Ununbium) but Cobalt - cool name! Tungsten is already used...). So it
>> will lead to gaps and inconsistency.
>>
>> R.
>>
>> >
>> > Pam
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > advisory-board mailing list
>> > advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
>> _______________________________________________
>> advisory-board mailing list
>> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board



--
PGP: 06853DF7
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org