-   -   Fedora Board Recap - 2012-07-25 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/687456-fedora-board-recap-2012-07-25-a.html)

David Nalley 07-25-2012 08:40 PM

Fedora Board Recap - 2012-07-25

Fedora Board Meeting - 2012-07-25 @ 18:30 UTC

== Attendance ==
Attendees:
* Robyn Bergeron
* David Nalley
* Eric Christensen (leaving early)
* Toshio Kuratomi (leaving early)
* John Rose
* Garrett Holmstrom (leaving early)
* Peter Robinson (gobby only)

* Regrets: Christoph, Jaroslav

* Absent: Nick

Today's lucky secretary: David
=======================================

Agenda:
* Announcements
* Follow-up: Fedora Italian Communities mail
* Follow-up: FUDCon discussion, Budget situation
* Secure Boot ticket
* Open Floor / Your suggestion here / Who's got good news?
* Next meeting: IRC, 2012-08-01

== Announcements ==
Fedora Summer of hardware fun
http://spot.livejournal.com/321537.html
https://fedoraproject.org/openhw2012

== Followup ==
=== Italian Communities situation ===
* Referring to CWG (response by: Robyn)

=== FUDcon discussion ===
* Proposal yet to be funded
* Willingness to fund appears to be present - from OSAS - without
diverting from other funds, but could all be a pipe dream

=== Budget ===
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Accounting/DraftFY13

== Secure Boot ==
* attempt to get a Board statement out by the next IRC board meeting.
* there are outstanding questions from Board members.
* lots of discussion.

== Open Floor ==

* FYI: elections app has a new owner. ianweller porting to flask and
taking over

== Next Meeting - IRC - 2012-08-01 ==
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board_public_IRC_meetings

Peter Jones 07-25-2012 08:50 PM

On 07/25/2012 04:40 PM, David Nalley wrote:

> * there are outstanding questions from Board members.

Are these posted in public someplace? I'd like to address any questions that
remain, but it's fairly difficult to answer questions that aren't put anywhere
we can see them.

--
Peter

Toshio Kuratomi 07-25-2012 09:30 PM

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 04:50:59PM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 04:40 PM, David Nalley wrote:
>
> > * there are outstanding questions from Board members.
>
> Are these posted in public someplace? I'd like to address any questions that
> remain, but it's fairly difficult to answer questions that aren't put anywhere
> we can see them.

After last week's IRC meeting I made sure they made it into the Board
ticket:
https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/138

-Toshio

Jon Stanley 07-26-2012 01:11 AM

On Jul 25, 2012 5:30 PM, "Toshio Kuratomi" <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:>

> After last week's IRC meeting I made sure they made it into the Board

> ticket:

> https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/138

Problem being that people that aren't board members can't see that.

Toshio Kuratomi 07-26-2012 01:31 AM

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 09:11:14PM -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2012 5:30 PM, "Toshio Kuratomi" <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:>
>
> > After last week's IRC meeting I made sure they made it into the Board
> > ticket:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/138
> >

> Problem being that people that aren't board members can't see that.

Correct. Maybe now that there's a new Board and new FPL I should ask if we
want to have a board and board-public trac instance?

-Toshoi

"Eric "Sparks" Christensen" 07-26-2012 02:18 AM

Fedora Board Recap - 2012-07-25

Toshio Kuratomi 07-26-2012 02:31 AM

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:18:02PM -0400, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> > Correct. Maybe now that there's a new Board and new FPL I should
> > ask if we want to have a board and board-public trac instance?
> >
> > -Toshoi
>
> Is there a way to be able to flip a switch to make some tickets public?

There wasn't when we set this up. I believe that was before Fedora
Infrastructure updated trac but I also believe someone looked and still
didn't see any way to make that possible on a ticket-by-ticket basis.

-Toshio

Jon Stanley 07-26-2012 03:05 AM

On Jul 25, 2012 10:31 PM, "Toshio Kuratomi" <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

> There wasn't when we set this up. *I believe that was before Fedora

> Infrastructure updated trac but I also believe someone looked and still

> didn't see any way to make that possible on a ticket-by-ticket basis.

While I'm not sure if track has this function, as much as I hate to suggest it, Bugzilla does. A new group would need to be created and maintained, but the functionality does exist in something that we have deployed today if RHT would let us use it for that.

$0.02

-Jon

Rahul Sundaram 07-26-2012 09:55 AM

On 07/26/2012 02:01 PM, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 02:31 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> There wasn't when we set this up. I believe that was before Fedora
>> Infrastructure updated trac but I also believe someone looked and still
>> didn't see any way to make that possible on a ticket-by-ticket basis.
>
> Remind me a again what is preventing all ticket from becoming public?

If someone posted a ticket with the expectation that it would be
private, opening them up to public is quite rude. Future tickets could
be public however and I urge the board to consider this.

Rahul

Robyn Bergeron 07-26-2012 12:30 PM

On 07/26/2012 07:38 AM, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:

On 07/26/2012 09:55 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

If someone posted a ticket with the expectation that it would be
private, opening them up to public is quite rude. Future tickets could
be public however and I urge the board to consider this.

Perhaps only active tickets should remain private and the board simply
ask the requester if they can be made public, all closed ticket be
opened up for public then all future tickets be made public?

The problems here are:

* The tickets filed with the Board are, at least a reasonable percentage
of the time, of a nature that they should be kept private (legal stuff,
personnel/sensitive/conflict, etc.).

* The Board trac instance (and trac in general within our
infrastructure) doesn't have a way to manage fine-grained permissions
beyond all-or-nothing for groups in the permissions list. In other
words: We can't apply permissions to tickets one-by-one. And I don't
think that having 2 separate ticket queues would be useful.

That said, it looks like http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/SecureTicketsPlugin
*might* be able to help - the opener of the ticket, or those with
existing permissions to modify a ticket, could set the component to be
one where permissions could be granted to a certain group beyond the
default private settings (ie: maybe anyone authenticated via FAS).

I realize that it's not quite as open as "seeing every single ticket
that comes across," but it does at least still provide those filing
sensitive tickets with a sense of privacy, which makes them more likely
to still file a ticket when needed, rather than deter them from pursuing
resolution to an issue.

That said:

I don't know if this particular plugin, when enabled, will allow someone
authenticated to do a full report view or if the report view will only
show tickets set with the appropriate component to make them public.
Sometimes tickets can reveal privacy things simply based on the subject,
so that wouldn't be very awesome to those ticket submitters. And I'm not
sure that the "authenticated" group would work properly, but I think it
probably should, but the worst case is that we could theoretically
create another fas group where those wanting to opt-in to seeing tickets
could apply.

I realize it's not ideal, but I think maintaining privacy for some
tickets is important, and ticket submitters could select automatically
to have it public, and we could always verify if it looks to be
something that can be public if the submitter is okay with that and then
make it so. But it would be an improvement.

Of course, someone would actually have to package the plugin, and then
we'd need to get infra to add it to the plugins list. And then we'd have
to test it and hope it works as advertised :D

JBG