Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 PM
David

Default Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

On 8/11/2012 7:16 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 08/11/2012 04:20 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/11/2012 12:41 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>>> As far as I can see, there's no imminent harm to giving a new release of
>>> an OS a name, if anything it gives it an identity, something to
>>> associate it with, such as when two developers are talking and one says
>>> have you seen the splash screens for "Verne"?....with the two of them
>>> BOTH knowing what Fedora 16's "name" is. If someone doesn't think an OS
>>> release shouldn't' be named they can just ignore the name and go ahead
>>> and call it by whatever makes them happy! Remember Linux is all about
>>> "Freedom Of Choice"...whatever you choose to do, (within bounds of
>>> course!) is fine!
>>
>> I have no problems, personally, in naming releases. I'm sure it's
>> much easier for the devs to refer to them by name, especially in
>> conversation. And, for some distros, such as Ubuntu, the userbase
>> tends to use the names, not release number, making the names even more
>> important. My objection to the name for F17 is that it sounds
>> immature, rather as though it had been picked by a thirteen-year-old
>> boy suffering from testosterone overload for the first time. Yes, I
>> understand that it was picked to honor the memory of a well-liked
>> Fedora developer, but that's what it looks like to me.
>>
>> Names can be a good thing, but an ill-chosen one can be a PR
>> nightmare. I think that the only reason we've not had trouble over
>> Beefy Miracle is the fact that most people who know anything about
>> Fedora tend to ignore the names and those who don't mostly know why it
>> got the name. This time, we got lucky and didn't end up with a metric
>> butload of bad publicity. In the future, I think that some of the
>> more mature devs might want to take a little time to make sure that we
>> use a little common sense and avoid such names.
>>
>> YMMV, and if it does, please remember that the above is only my
>> opinion and you're free to ignore it if you want.
> No worries Joe! I feel that we can *all *contribute something to this
> great project known as Fedora, so even YOUR opinion counts!...As for
> myself....I'd like to see the names go in a more "Start Trek / Star Wars
> / Battlestar Galactica" direction myself......but hey....here's to
> hoping!...

I don't give a damn what the devs use for names as long as they are
*not* like Ubuntu. Constipated Chicken. Four legged Duck. Soon to be
dieing fish. Three legged dog. Etc.

I see the Ubuntu users actually using those names. I have "Constipated
Chicken" installed and CD won't burn!!! Really? You expect a Linux
install named "Constipated Chicken" to burn a CD/DVD!! <sigh>

OHG guys. Neat names or cute names but not stupid, embarrassing names.
--

David

Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Joe Zeff