Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 21:21 +0200, Antonio Trande wrote:

> what do you think about this ?
> It's just an idea, written quickly.

While I think the idea of a rule imposing a series is brilliant, two
concerns here:

- Emperors as a theme - in a post-colonial world I think it might be a
bit insensitive to elevate imperialism. Topically, I think free software
is diametrically opposed to 'imperialism' in the form of a single
central entity pushing out proprietary software. I also think that for a
global project, we shouldn't fixate on any one region - the Roman
empire, while encompassing quite a large range, was not global and was
rather Euro-centric.

- If we use an ordered series for a theme, there is no theme voting each
release. While I've gotten to the point in my life where I strongly
believe more constructive things could be done with the time and
resources put into voting for names every release, I think the majority
of folks who care would be upset about not getting to vote every
release.

Can you think of some alternative to emperors that has a logical
progression and order? Famous mathematical/scientific constants maybe??

~m

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Pam Chestek

On 7/24/2012 3:11 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 20:56 +0200, Emilio Lopez wrote:
>>> I love the idea of using scientists, explorers, writers (not just
>>> sci-fi), artists...anything really that pushes the boundaries of the
>>> human experience...and not just people, Leonidas was a (or several
>>> really) ship too.
>>> Also, I would have to say that so far my favourite Fedora artwork is
>> >from Verne ;-)
>>
>> I fully agree with that. I was thinking in this exactly naming scheme
>> Scientists, explorers, writers, artists...
>> I would like to have a Fedora Newton or a Fedora Dali.
> Unfortunately, while there are several 'famous people' schemes proposed
> on the wiki, you'll note they're in the section vetoed by legal. I think
> using names of people is problematic for that reason, so we need to
> avoid it AFAIK.
This is correct. Names are more difficult to clear from a legal
perspective because, not only do you have to worry about trademark
rights, you have to worry about the right of publicity too. These types
of rights are becoming more commonly enforced, even in cases where a
now-dead person would never have conceived of the fact that they have
such a right (Einstein and Amelia Earhart are two in that category that
come to mind) - but their families have. So it's extra difficult for us
to clear them and the clearance rate will be lower. My greatest
happiness with "Beefy Miracle" was that it wasn't a person's name (no
offense, Beefy!!).

Pam

Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Antonio Trande

2012/7/24 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 21:21 +0200, Antonio Trande wrote:

> what do you think about this ?

> It's just an idea, written quickly.

While I think the idea of a rule imposing a series is brilliant, two

concerns here:

- Emperors as a theme - in a post-colonial world I think it might be a

bit insensitive to elevate imperialism. Topically, I think free software

is diametrically opposed to 'imperialism' in the form of a single

central entity pushing out proprietary software. I also think that for a

global project, we shouldn't fixate on any one region - the Roman

empire, while encompassing quite a large range, was not global and was

rather Euro-centric.

Surely i didn't think to the "imperialism" when i proposed these names least of all to 'Euro-centric' issues.
However Fedora (like Debian or Arch) is a main distro with many 'derivated distributions' so there is a little of* "imperialism" in it. *

*

- If we use an ordered series for a theme, there is no theme voting each

release. While I've gotten to the point in my life where I strongly

believe more constructive things could be done with the time and

resources put into voting for names every release, I think the majority

of folks who care would be upset about not getting to vote every

release.

In the pdf, voting is scheduled
*

Can you think of some alternative to emperors that has a logical

progression and order? Famous mathematical/scientific constants maybe??

None at the moment but your answer leads me to think to the worldwide freedom by Fedora. Therefore maximum freedom: at every Fedora release, a community (indian, brazilian, italian, US, ...) one by one chooses a*name* for Fedora related to the release number.

This can be done by vote.

--
Antonio Trande
"Fedora Ambassador""Fedora italian translation group"

"Blogger"

mail: mailto:sagitter@fedoraproject.org

Homepage: http://www.fedora-os.org

Sip Address
: sip:sagitter AT ekiga.netJabber
:sagitter AT jabber.orgGPG Key: 19E6DF27

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Timothy Murphy

David Boles wrote:

>> The Fedora Board is soliciting ideas for how to name Fedora releases
>> from community members. Proposals should be sent to the Advisory
>> Board list[0][1] no later than 16:00 UTC on 25 July 2012. The
>> community is invited to discuss the proposals on the Advisory Board list.

>> [1] advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

> My only comment is to *please* don't choose to use really stupid names
> like Ubuntu uses.

Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea should be dropped?
I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora Beefy Miracle
(if that is indeed the right name).

Why not just say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time.
But it obviously has not caught on.
Let's forget it."

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/01/2012 07:51 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea should be dropped?
> I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora Beefy Miracle
> (if that is indeed the right name).
>
> Why not just say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time.
> But it obviously has not caught on.
> Let's forget it."

You are not the only one.... But, the people that do the actual work to produce the releases seem to enjoy the exercise.

I personally don't care and feel it is a waste of time as is discussing changes to the process. But since I'm not part of that group I know my opinion holds no weight.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Joe Zeff

On 07/31/2012 04:51 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea should be dropped?
I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora Beefy Miracle
(if that is indeed the right name).

I've seen a number of people using the code name, both here and on
fedoraforum.org. Until F 17, however, the code names were mostly
ignored and I, for one, would be just as happy if people went back to
ignoring them, especially when the code names are so juvenile.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 AM
inode0

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>
>>> The Fedora Board is soliciting ideas for how to name Fedora releases
>>> from community members. Proposals should be sent to the Advisory
>>> Board list[0][1] no later than 16:00 UTC on 25 July 2012. The
>>> community is invited to discuss the proposals on the Advisory Board list.

>>> [1] advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
>
>> My only comment is to *please* don't choose to use really stupid names
>> like Ubuntu uses.
>
> Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea should be dropped?
> I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora Beefy Miracle
> (if that is indeed the right name).
>
> Why not just say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time.
> But it obviously has not caught on.
> Let's forget it."

Who ever said that was the point of a release name? It never really
had a purpose that we can now look back on and say it failed. It is
just a small thing our community has always done for fun. I find it
hard to tell someone else to stop having a little bit of fun even when
I might not personally find it fun and think it has little or no
value. It isn't any skin off my nose so I say let those who find this
fun have their fun.

John

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Andrew Haley

On 08/01/2012 12:51 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea should be dropped?
> I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora Beefy Miracle
> (if that is indeed the right name).

No, you're not the only one. We discussed this at the time.
We took a vote. Your side lost.

Andrew.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Richard Vickery

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:

On 08/01/2012 12:51 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea should be dropped?

> I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora Beefy Miracle

> (if that is indeed the right name).

No, you're not the only one. *We discussed this at the time.

We took a vote. *Your side lost.

Andrew.

I kind of like the idea of naming; it says that we're creative. Sure there are some conservative types who think that names are not cool; these people probably don't think much of Tux either. Then there are the creative types, who number just as many, or in our case , more, who think that naming the distributions is a better plan than not; and we probably work better as a group because of it.

Let's not think of it in terms of winning and losing, but of collaboration and support for the betterment of the task at hand - making us better as a team.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Doug

wrote:

On 08/01/2012 12:51 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Am I the only person who thinks that the whole idea
should be dropped?

> I never, ever, heard anyone refer to Fedora-17 as Fedora
Beefy Miracle

> (if that is indeed the right name).

No, you're not the only one. *We discussed this at the time.

We took a vote. *Your side lost.

Andrew.

I kind of like the idea of naming; it says that we're
creative. Sure there are some conservative types who think
that names are not cool; these people probably don't think
much of Tux either. Then there are the creative types, who
number just as many, or in our case , more, who think that
naming the distributions is a better plan than not; and we
probably work better as a group because of it.

Let's not think of it in terms of winning and losing, but
of collaboration and support for the betterment of the task at
hand - making us better as a team.

Well, here's my 2˘: I think naming is dumb, *because* there is no
logical sequence to it--the reader does not know whether the named
version is current, last year's, or 2005's.*

Even one of the other distros, where the names are selected in
alphabetical order, like hurricanes, is confusing, since the names
are so weird and forgettable.* Call me a

stick-in-the-mud--you won't be the first--but I'd much prefer month
and year for version identifiers, like PCLOS does.* That makes the
sequence obvious to the most casual

of readers.

--doug

--

Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both
sides. --A.M. Greeley