Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Carl Trieloff

Default Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

On 07/19/2012 10:13 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 23:15 -0700, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
>> > While I agree with your reasoning, my impression is that Fedora 17 is
>> > the exception rather than the rule, and in general it doesn't even come
>> > close to the pervasiveness of many other distros' code names. Are there
>> > really that many people out there who still remember Fedora 14's, for
>> > instance? I used that release nearly every day for a year and I still
>> > had to look it up, but I can list every Ubuntu code name even though
>> > I've never even used the distro before. It doesn't seem particularly
>> > fair to generalize based only on recent experiences, especially when
>> > said experiences seem to be primarily due to the added attention we got
>> > from choosing a name that is much more silly than most.
>> >
>> > Of course if I'm completely out of touch with reality then I could
>> > really use a nice, healthy dose of it. 8^)
> I think recall of Ubuntu codenames is helped by their alphabetical
> order...
>
> I am very much hoping F17 is the exception, not the rule, because I'm
> really not crazy about cows.

Personally I like memorable names, someone else to talk about and spread
the buzz with.

Carl.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Phil Dobbin

Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
"Caitlyn O'Hanna"

As "suit-and-tie" as some may view it, I'd rather have "$distro
$relver" than "$distro $relver
$somestupidname-yes-im-talking-to-you-beefy-miracle"

What happened to the days of having names like Leonidas and Verne?
Maybe include in the rules that it needs to be slightly more relevant
than "beey miracle" or "chicken vindaloo"?

--Caitlyn

Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

I think this beefy miracle, and the spherical cow - made an radical
step that grabs attention, and everybody wants to know our system. I
think we can simply use discoverers, scientists to respect before them
- and they are reachable all over in many themes. What do you think?

2012/7/20 Caitlyn O'Hanna <ravenoak@gmail.com>:
> As "suit-and-tie" as some may view it, I'd rather have "$distro
> $relver" than "$distro $relver
> $somestupidname-yes-im-talking-to-you-beefy-miracle"
>
> What happened to the days of having names like Leonidas and Verne?
> Maybe include in the rules that it needs to be slightly more relevant
> than "beey miracle" or "chicken vindaloo"?
>

> --Caitlyn
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message
>>> has been automatically rejected. If you think that your messages
>>> are being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
>>> advisory-board-owner@lists.fedoraproject.org.
>>
>> Please do not give instructions to the general population, that the
>> general population cannot follow. I am thus posting to the users@
>> list, where this original request was sent.
>>

>> My only request is to avoid names that sound like themes from other
>> distros. Any scheme we choose needs to be different enough to stand
>> on its own.
>>
>> For example, any "$adjective $noun" name is going to make people think
>> of Ubuntu, and any "$distro $name" is going to sound like Debian. The
>> previous "Fedora $release $is-a-noun" scheme was "our way" and IMHO we
>> should return to that.
>>
>> Removing the code name completely seems to me like a step in the
>> suit-and-tie direction and I would hate to see our project go that
>> path.
>>
>> DJ Delorie
>> --

PGP: 06853DF7