-   -   Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/670437-guidelines-sites-fedoracommunity-org.html)

05-24-2012 09:53 AM

Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

Hello,
I see that there are some local communities who want to be included to
the same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia and
now Italy.
I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of fedoraonline.it,
the actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest italian community. I
think this could be a problem in the future too, so why not discuss
about some guidelines which helps the local communities but also the
website team to define clearly the state of a community?

I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:
obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one
community rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular
"tests", which verify the activity of the local community and if the
site is just online. If the test fails another local community site
has the right to take the place of the precedent one.

Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so
it should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to
give the end user a clearly identified local community.

I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

Cheers
Robert Mayr
robyduck

Kévin Raymond 05-24-2012 10:01 AM

Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

[CC-ing] the Websites team

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM, <robyduck@fedoraonline.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> I see that there are some local communities who want to be included to the
> same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia and now Italy.
> I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of fedoraonline.it, the
> actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest italian community. I think this
> could be a problem in the future too, so why not discuss about some
> guidelines which helps the local communities but also the website team to
> define clearly the state of a community?
> I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:
> obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one community
> rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular "tests", which
> verify the activity of the local community and if the site is just online.
> If the test fails another local community site has the right to take the
> place of the precedent one.
>
> Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so it
> should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to give the
> end user a clearly identified local community.

+1

> I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

I would add that Legal should not approve trademark license agreement
to the unknown if the local community already exist.
Example if my neighbor ask to register the greatitalianfedora.it, the
request should be rejected if the owner is not involved in the local
community.
But they need to understand how the local community works.
It's not easy, neither fast.

At least guidelines would help define a process and prevent end users
to ask for his own website reference…

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Andrea Veri 05-24-2012 10:08 AM

On Thu, 24 May 2012, robyduck@fedoraonline.it wrote:

> Hello,
> I see that there are some local communities who want to be included
> to the same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia
> and now Italy.
> I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of
> fedoraonline.it, the actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest
> italian community. I think this could be a problem in the future
> too, so why not discuss about some guidelines which helps the local
> communities but also the website team to define clearly the state of
> a community?
> I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:
> obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one
> community rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular
> "tests", which verify the activity of the local community and if the
> site is just online. If the test fails another local community site
> has the right to take the place of the precedent one.
>
> Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so
> it should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to
> give the end user a clearly identified local community.
>
> I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

From what I remember Fedora has never been in favour of granting the
'Official' status to a localized community and that caused in a few
places the following issues:

1. multiple localized communities got created having the same
objectives, target users.
2. "wars" between the localized communities of the same country, like
it's happening in Italy.

I agree there should be a proposal since leaving things as they are
now will just weaken the Fedora community at first and as a
consequence the localized communities themselves.

cheers,

Andrea

P.S I explained my position about this already on the past Board's
elections as you can see at [1], point 1.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Board_nominations&oldid=238761#And rea_Veri_.28averi.29

Christopher Meng 05-24-2012 10:22 AM

Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

I think that fedora.xx, which xx means country*abbreviation.

On Thursday, May 24, 2012, Andrea Veri wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2012, robyduck@fedoraonline.it wrote:

> Hello,

> I see that there are some local communities who want to be included

> to the same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia

> and now Italy.

> I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of

> fedoraonline.it, the actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest

> italian community. I think this could be a problem in the future

> too, so why not discuss about some guidelines which helps the local

> communities but also the website team to define clearly the state of

> a community?

> I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:

> obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one

> community rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular

> "tests", which verify the activity of the local community and if the

> site is just online. If the test fails another local community site

> has the right to take the place of the precedent one.

> Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so

> it should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to

> give the end user a clearly identified local community.

> I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

From what I remember Fedora has never been in favour of granting the

'Official' status to a localized community and that caused in a few

places the following issues:

1. multiple localized communities got created having the same

* objectives, target users.

2. "wars" between the localized communities of the same country, like

* it's happening in Italy.

I agree there should be a proposal since leaving things as they are

now will just weaken the Fedora community at first and as a

consequence the localized communities themselves.

cheers,

Andrea

P.S I explained my position about this already on the past Board's

elections as you can see at [1], point 1.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Board_nominations&oldid=238761#And rea_Veri_.28averi.29

--

Best Regards,
Christopher Meng------'Cicku'

Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and Contributor of GNU.
Blog:http://cicku.me

Twitter:@cickumqt
Hope you can visit and leave some comments.
More Contact info see here:http://about.me/cicku

Gianluca Sforna 05-24-2012 03:24 PM

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Andrea Veri <averi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> From what I remember Fedora has never been in favour of granting the
> 'Official' status to a localized community

I can see why Fedora as a legal entity can not endorse any local site
to be "Official", but I think it's in Fedora's project best interest
to promote aggregation of local communities over a single website;
IMHO that can be done even without blessing the site with an official
tag, it is enough for the project to refer new users (the the most
likely to be confused by a dozen community sites in the same country)
to a single one. The fedoracommunity.org web site seems best suited to
be the jump point between the official Fedora project and the
independent local websites so the question is how do we pick the site
to be linked from fedoracommunity.org? That's where the guidelines
part comes in.

Of course, we all know there are times when "forks" are necessary and
healthy so these guidelines should not prevent new Fedora related
websites to born and prosper, but until there is an established and
healthy community web site it should be clear from the beginning that
it will continue to be the one referred from fedoracommunity.org.

Now for the guidelines part, my guess is that it should cover (in no
particular order)
* what constitutes a local community site (services, domain, language, etc)
* how to find existing existing local communities (and encourage joining them)
* how to start a new local community when one is missing or not active
* health check procedure (what activities are expected to happen at
the local level)
* requirements to meet before being listed in fedoracommunity.org

I know it seems quite a bit of work to do, but I'm pretty sure it is
going to pay off in the log term, both in terms of participation to
the project and less headaches for all involved parties...

Cheers

G.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

05-25-2012 08:02 AM

Gianluca Sforna <giallu@gmail.com> ha scritto:

[...]

I think the points listed by Gianluca are a good base from where we
could start. It's also a good idea if this guidelines suggest how to
start a new local community, because there are several countries where
Fedora isn't present at all.
IMHO the "policy" should remain a guideline, as the decision of being
or not the most rappresentative local community will in any case be
taken by the end user. In my eyes the end user should ever remain the
main goal of any Fedora related initiative.

I know it seems quite a bit of work to do, but I'm pretty sure it is
going to pay off in the log term, both in terms of participation to
the project and less headaches for all involved parties...

I renew my availability to take part of this workgroup.
Cheers
Robert Mayr

robyduck
http://www.fedoraonline.it

Cheers

G.

Kvin Raymond 05-25-2012 02:31 PM

Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

[snip]

>> Of *course, we all know there are times when "forks" are necessary and
>> healthy so these guidelines should not prevent new Fedora related
>> websites to born and prosper, but until there is an established and
>> healthy community web site it should be clear from the beginning that
>> it will continue to be the one referred from fedoracommunity.org.
>

> +1

Yes, and as Andrea explained, the idea is not necessarily to have
official websites.
If we provide several local communities websites, one would probably
grow faster than the other,
we should probably not limit to the registered one.

>> Now for the guidelines part, my guess is that it should cover (in no
>> particular order)
>> * what constitutes a local community site (services, domain, language,
>> etc)
>> * how to find existing existing local communities (and encourage joining
>> them)
>> * how to start a new local community when one is missing or not active
>> * health check procedure (what activities are expected to happen at
>> the local level)
>> * requirements to meet before being listed in fedoracommunity.org
>

> I think the points listed by Gianluca are a good base from where we could
> start. It's also a good idea if this guidelines suggest how to start a new
> local community, because there are several countries where Fedora isn't
> present at all.
> IMHO the "policy" should remain a guideline, as the decision of being or not
> the most rappresentative local community will in any case be taken by the
> end user. In my eyes the end user should ever remain the main goal of any
> Fedora related initiative.
>

>> I know it seems quite a bit of work to do, but I'm pretty sure it is
>> going to pay off in the log term, both in terms of participation to
>> the project and less headaches for all involved parties...
>

> I renew my availability to take part of this workgroup.

Sorry I don't have enough free time,
but I agree, having a clear process to be registered in f.comm.org
would be useful to us (websites) and you (communities).

--
Kvin Raymond
(shaiton)