-   -   The Future of release names (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/664607-future-release-names.html)

Toshio Kuratomi 05-09-2012 08:39 AM

The Future of release names

At the last Board Meeting, the Board looked at the poll results asking
whether people felt like continuing to name releases. The results seemed
to show that many people do like having a name associated with Fedora
releases. However, the discussion before and after has shown there is
a desire to improve upon the current method of selecting the names.

The Board decided that it would be worthwhile to come up with a new
procedure for selecting the name for the Fedora 19 release and beyond to
attempt to solve some of the issues that have been brought up. The Board
is looking for volunteers who would like to do two things:

(1) Answer the following questions:

* What benefits does the Project get from the current release naming
process?
* What changes do people want to see in a revised process?

(2) Come up with at least one proposal and analyze it according to the
answers to the previous questions.

If anyone is interested in coming to a weekly meeting to work on this,
please feel free to contact me. If anyone would like to champion this,
please contact me ASAP so I know whether there is someone else who's going
to champion this or if I need to lead the effort.

I've put up a wiki page that tries to summarize the answers to the first two
questions that I've seen circulated on the advisory-board mailing list and a
link to the only proposal I currently know of (mizmo's proposal to use
a single theme for all of the new Fedora releases).

Thanks,
-Toshio

Pam Chestek 05-09-2012 02:02 PM

The Future of release names

Toshio,

I would be happy to participate in the meetings so I can provide
insight into what may be more or less successful methodologies from
a clearance perspective.

Pam Chestek

Jaroslav Reznik 05-09-2012 02:20 PM

The Future of release names

> I would be happy to participate in the meetings so I can provide
> insight into what may be more or less successful methodologies from
> a clearance perspective.

Hi Pam!
It's great you can join us as your legal advices are already part of
name decision process. Thank you.

And Toshio, count with me - I should join you too as it started from
my connotation analysis thread...

R.

Christoph Wickert 05-09-2012 05:05 PM

The Future of release names

Am Mittwoch, den 09.05.2012, 01:39 -0700 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:

> The Board decided that it would be worthwhile to come up with a new
> procedure for selecting the name for the Fedora 19 release and beyond to
> attempt to solve some of the issues that have been brought up. The Board
> is looking for volunteers who would like to do two things:
>
> (1) Answer the following questions:
>
> * What benefits does the Project get from the current release naming
> process?

* A starting point for the artwork.
* An opportunity for marketing. At Berlin we'll be giving away
free hotdogs.
* Controversial discussions and flamewars
* Fun, fun, fun!

> * What changes do people want to see in a revised process?

Dunno, I don't want to change the rules.

Kind regards,
Christoph

inode0 05-09-2012 05:17 PM

The Future of release names

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.05.2012, 01:39 -0700 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>
>> The Board decided that it would be worthwhile to come up with a new
>> procedure for selecting the name for the Fedora 19 release and beyond to
>> attempt to solve some of the issues that have been brought up. *The Board
>> is looking for volunteers who would like to do two things:
>>
>> (1) Answer the following questions:
>>
>> * What benefits does the Project get from the current release naming
>> * process?
>
> * * ** A starting point for the artwork.
> * * ** An opportunity for marketing. At Berlin we'll be giving away
> * * * *free hotdogs.
> * * ** Controversial discussions and flamewars
> * * ** Fun, fun, fun!
>
>> * What changes do people want to see in a revised process?
>
> Dunno, I don't want to change the rules.

Much of the fun I think comes from the unpredictable nature of the
process now. And also much of the anticipation and excitement about
Fedora artwork with each release comes from the same unpredictability
coupled with art that often is spectacular and surprising.

If the theme were always flowers (or whatever) and the release name
were always a choice of flowers (or whatever) I think the whole
business will become very boring very fast. So I hope we can find a
way to keep what makes choosing a name fun and what makes each Fedora
release exciting for the artists and for the folks who look forward to
seeing the new art each release.

And if it isn't possible to do both at once, keep the fun part of
naming and generate something for good theming, let's at least
consider decoupling the two.

John

Josh Boyer 05-09-2012 05:19 PM

The Future of release names

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.05.2012, 01:39 -0700 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>
>> The Board decided that it would be worthwhile to come up with a new
>> procedure for selecting the name for the Fedora 19 release and beyond to
>> attempt to solve some of the issues that have been brought up. *The Board
>> is looking for volunteers who would like to do two things:
>>
>> (1) Answer the following questions:
>>
>> * What benefits does the Project get from the current release naming
>> * process?
>
> * * ** A starting point for the artwork.

Except when it isn't, like with F17 (and probably F18).

> * * ** An opportunity for marketing. At Berlin we'll be giving away
> * * * *free hotdogs.

I think the F17 name is an anomaly in that regard. How are you going
to give away spherical cows, or zod, or leonidas?

Sure, other marketing opportunities might present themselves, but the
release names are random enough that it is going to be fairly rare and
of limited benefit.

> * * ** Controversial discussions and flamewars

We have plenty of those already.

josh

Rex Dieter 05-09-2012 05:20 PM

The Future of release names