Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Rex Dieter

Default The Future of release names

On 05/09/2012 12:19 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Christoph Wickert

* What benefits does the Project get from the current release naming
process?

* A starting point for the artwork.

Except when it isn't, like with F17 (and probably F18).

It is my understanding that the F17 artwork was indeed inspired by the name

-- rex

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 12:19 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Christoph Wickert

>>> * * ** A starting point for the artwork.
>>

>> Except when it isn't, like with F17 (and probably F18).
>

> It is my understanding that the F17 artwork was indeed inspired by the name

That's... a stretch. If you aren't familiar with beefymiracle.org and
have never seen the site before, you would be hard pressed to honestly
admit that you see the artwork inspiration from the _name_ "Beefy
Miracle".

I believe the F17 artwork was essentially a last ditch effort to adhere
to something that really wasn't themable aside from slapping a giant
hot dog on the screen. It wound up being rather tasteful (no pun
intended) and well done, but "inspired" would be pushing it.

josh

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
inode0

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Mirn Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Anyway, please, please don't use artwork as support for the current
> process - it is us artists ourselves who have been complaining loudly
> about the current process and are harmed by it.

I wasn't just to be clear. I recognize there is a conflict and only
wanted to encourage the consideration of decoupling the two things
rather than ask the community to pick a kind of tea every 6 months
which I can't help but think will spoil the fun of the release naming
process. But maybe a good way for both to work together will come out
of the process too.

John

Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 01:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> At the last Board Meeting, the Board looked at the poll results asking
> whether people felt like continuing to name releases. The results seemed
> to show that many people do like having a name associated with Fedora
> releases. However, the discussion before and after has shown there is
> a desire to improve upon the current method of selecting the names.

I may have missed it, but are there actual numbers of the poll results,
beyond 'many people do like' ?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 9 May 2012 12:04, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
>> On 05/09/2012 12:19 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Christoph Wickert

>>> Except when it isn't, like with F17 (and probably F18).
>>

>> It is my understanding that the F17 artwork was indeed inspired by the name
>
> That's... a stretch. *If you aren't familiar with beefymiracle.org and
> have never seen the site before, you would be hard pressed to honestly
> admit that you see the artwork inspiration from the _name_ "Beefy
> Miracle".
>
> I believe the F17 artwork was essentially a last ditch effort to adhere
> to something that really wasn't themable aside from slapping a giant
> hot dog on the screen. *It wound up being rather tasteful (no pun
> intended) and well done, but "inspired" would be pushing it.

Well originally we didn't really have much in way of theming the
release with the code-name. That was an expectation made later when we
had some easy to theme codenames. Then we ran into a patch of hard to
do code-names (Sulphur, Cambridge, Constantine, Beefy Miracle,
Laughlin, Lovelock) where in the end designs were hard to come up with
at time.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." *—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Rex Dieter

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 01:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> At the last Board Meeting, the Board looked at the poll results asking
>> whether people felt like continuing to name releases. The results seemed
>> to show that many people do like having a name associated with Fedora
>> releases. However, the discussion before and after has shown there is
>> a desire to improve upon the current method of selecting the names.
>
> I may have missed it, but are there actual numbers of the poll results,
> beyond 'many people do like' ?

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/poll-rel-names

550 Keep release names (possibly changing how they're chosen)

384 Stop having release names

-- rex

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 9 May 2012 12:56, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 01:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> At the last Board Meeting, the Board looked at the poll results asking
>>> whether people felt like continuing to name releases. *The results seemed
>>> to show that many people do like having a name associated with Fedora
>>> releases. *However, the discussion before and after has shown there is
>>> a desire to improve upon the current method of selecting the names.
>>
>> I may have missed it, but are there actual numbers of the poll results,
>> beyond 'many people do like' ?
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/poll-rel-names
>
> 550 Keep release names (possibly changing how they're chosen)
>
> 384 Stop having release names

My guess is that if the poll had been split into a 3 way the first
choice would have been "split" leading to the conclusion that Stop
having release names was more wanted than Keep Release Names or
"Change How Release Names Are Chosen".

Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Kévin Raymond

Le 9 mai 2012 21:00, "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge@gmail.com> a écrit*:

> On 9 May 2012 12:56, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

> > Matthias Clasen wrote:

> >> I may have missed it, but are there actual numbers of the poll results,

> >> beyond 'many people do like' ?

> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/poll-rel-names

> > 550 Keep release names (possibly changing how they're chosen)

> > 384 Stop having release names

> My guess is that if the poll had been split into a 3 way the first

> choice would have been "split" leading to the conclusion that Stop

> having release names was more wanted than Keep Release Names or

> "Change How Release Names Are Chosen".

The objective was to help the board and not to directly take the poll result as the final decision.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 13:56 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 01:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >> At the last Board Meeting, the Board looked at the poll results asking
> >> whether people felt like continuing to name releases. The results seemed
> >> to show that many people do like having a name associated with Fedora
> >> releases. However, the discussion before and after has shown there is
> >> a desire to improve upon the current method of selecting the names.
> >
> > I may have missed it, but are there actual numbers of the poll results,
> > beyond 'many people do like' ?
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/poll-rel-names
>
> 550 Keep release names (possibly changing how they're chosen)
>
> 384 Stop having release names

Thanks for sharing the data.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Bruno Wolff III

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/poll-rel-names

550 Keep release names (possibly changing how they're chosen)

384 Stop having release names

Thanks for sharing the data.

Note that you could vote 0, 1 or 2 for either (or both) categories. I voted 1
for each since I didn't have a strong opinion either way.