Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 AM
inode0

Default Draft Trademark Guidelines Question

I'm not going to send this to legal directly unless someone suggests
that I should but I'd like to ask a question about the proposed
guidelines the Board is now considering.

There has been a small change in the Business Cards section but my
question actually applies to the existing guidelines as well as to the
proposed draft version. For reference here are links to both:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Business_cards
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pchestek/TMGuidelinesDraft#Business_cards

In both cases the prohibition against using any business cards other
than ones produced using the fedora-business-cards package feels oddly
heavy-handed. In many other places where you want to step outside of
the explicitly stated use you are given the option of requesting Board
approval for your proposed use. I assume the goal here is mainly to
not mix the Fedora trademarks with other business trademarks but why
does any variation from those specified as acceptable require a change
in guidelines rather than a simple approval granted by the Board?

While I know legal advice isn't given here I can't help but mumble
that I hope I don't live in a world where I can't write on a little
piece of paper that I am a member of the Fedora Project when in fact I
am a member of the Fedora Project. And I understand that the
guidelines don't trump fair use of trademarks and that no one will
likely tell me whether this is or is not a fair use of this trademark.
Maybe I will be surprised?!

John

Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Tom Callaway

On 02/22/2012 10:48 PM, inode0 wrote:
> In both cases the prohibition against using any business cards other
> than ones produced using the fedora-business-cards package feels oddly
> heavy-handed. In many other places where you want to step outside of
> the explicitly stated use you are given the option of requesting Board
> approval for your proposed use. I assume the goal here is mainly to
> not mix the Fedora trademarks with other business trademarks but why
> does any variation from those specified as acceptable require a change
> in guidelines rather than a simple approval granted by the Board?

Red Hat Legal requested that we only have a single template for this to
minimize confusion. To be honest, they weren't crazy about Fedorans
using business cards at all, but the compromise was that it would be
acceptable if only approved templates were used. Right now, there is
only one template, but there is always the possibility of approving
alternate templates.

You are correct that mixing the Fedora trademarks with other business
trademarks was a main area of concern, as doing that implies a formal
relationship between Fedora/Red Hat and the other business, where none
exists.

~tom

==
Fedora Project