Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Fedora TV, the video quandary, and a request for advice (fwd)

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Christopher Blizzard
<blizzard@0xdeadbeef.com> wrote:
> Sounds like the code is in there and it's a pref switch. No idea how
> stable/good it is, though.

gst is listed as a playback option in F8's miro... gonna suck some
content down and try it...
too bad there isn't any existing theora content in a miro channel.

-jef

Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> gst is listed as a playback option in F8's miro... gonna suck some
> content down and try it...
> too bad there isn't any existing theora content in a miro channel.

seems to work...i think.

-jef

Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> seems to work...i think.

gst playback works...as long as you have the correct gst bits for the codec.

SOOOOOOO we would need to get our Miro changed so it defaults to gst.
And we need a theora video channel in Miro.

-jef

Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Greg DeKoenigsberg

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Christopher Blizzard
Sounds like the code is in there and it's a pref switch. No idea how
stable/good it is, though.

gst is listed as a playback option in F8's miro... gonna suck some
content down and try it...

too bad there isn't any existing theora content in a miro channel.

Maybe we should just try to bootstrap a Miro channel on a box somewhere
for testing purposes. I've still got a test box in Fedora-land for Fedora
TV, I think -- I'd be happy to give it up.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager

Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should just try to bootstrap a Miro channel on a box somewhere for
> testing purposes. I've still got a test box in Fedora-land for Fedora TV, I
> think -- I'd be happy to give it up.

That would make some sense.

Also we need to talk to the Miro maintainer about flipping the bits to
make gst the default instead of xine. Miro on rawhide seems to be
busted.. the interface is borked. I wonder if that is xulrunner
damage?

But Miro on F8 comes up and works for me.. just need to switch playback to gst.

-jef

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
"Russell Harrison"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>

> > > 4. Users should be able to easily specify licensing of the videos.
> > >

> > What licenses would we use? What ones would be verbotten?
> >

> This is a simple policy question. We *will* want "open video" -- that much
> we know. Licensing will come later.

Has anyone looked into what's going on over at TheoraSea? They seem
to be barely handling their load right now but I did find the ITheora
library especially interesting.

http://theorasea.org
http://menguy.aymeric.free.fr/theora/

Russell

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Christopher Blizzard

Maybe we should just try to bootstrap a Miro channel on a box
somewhere for testing purposes. I've still got a test box in Fedora-
land for Fedora TV, I think -- I'd be happy to give it up.

Check out the getmiro site - there's an easy way to add channels
there. I think all you need is an rss feed and a place to host files/
torrents.

--Chris

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Christopher Blizzard

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Christopher Blizzard
Sounds like the code is in there and it's a pref switch. No idea
how

stable/good it is, though.

gst is listed as a playback option in F8's miro... gonna suck some
content down and try it...

too bad there isn't any existing theora content in a miro channel.

Maybe we should just try to bootstrap a Miro channel on a box
somewhere for testing purposes. I've still got a test box in Fedora-
land for Fedora TV, I think -- I'd be happy to give it up.

Also check with willg who has been fighting the good fight with both
Ubuntu and Rawhide at the same time. (I'm on a plane at the moment so
I can't look up his info) He will tell you how to set things up
properly.

--Chris