Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Pam Chestek

Default First use of Infinity Logo

All,

I'm hoping for someone who can knows, or can find out, some tiny pieces
of information for me. We are filing an application to register the
copyright in the Infinity logo in China. For the application, we need
the exact date of publication and the place of publication, which for
purposes of an online publication would be where the server was located.

The Wayback Machine show the first use of the logo online in April,
2006. Does anyone have any information on the exact date it was
published? Second, does anyone know for sure where our servers were in
April, 2006 (or whatever date the logo was first published)? I have
information that the main Fedora server was at Duke, but was moved to
Phoenix, and the person didn't know exactly when the servers were moved.

Thanks,

Pam Chestek
Sr. IP Attorney
Red Hat, Inc.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 09:49 -0500, Pam Chestek wrote:
> The Wayback Machine show the first use of the logo online in April,
> 2006. Does anyone have any information on the exact date it was
> published? Second, does anyone know for sure where our servers were in
> April, 2006 (or whatever date the logo was first published)? I have
> information that the main Fedora server was at Duke, but was moved to
> Phoenix, and the person didn't know exactly when the servers were moved.

It was definitely published earlier than that on redhat's
people.redhat.com server (see
http://web.archive.org/web/20090131091157/http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc5graphics/ dated Dec 6, 2005) and on capstrat.com's servers which archive has listed as early as 25 Nov 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/20051125211849/http://capstrat.com/development/fedora/index.php?

However our mailing list archives indicate it was available as early as
Sept 16, 2005:
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.redhat.fedora.marketing/2005-09/msg00124.html

~m

Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 09:49 -0500, Pam Chestek wrote:
> > The Wayback Machine show the first use of the logo online in April,
> > 2006. Does anyone have any information on the exact date it was
> > published? Second, does anyone know for sure where our servers were in
> > April, 2006 (or whatever date the logo was first published)? I have
> > information that the main Fedora server was at Duke, but was moved to
> > Phoenix, and the person didn't know exactly when the servers were moved.
>
> It was definitely published earlier than that on redhat's
> people.redhat.com server (see
> http://web.archive.org/web/20090131091157/http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc5graphics/ dated Dec 6, 2005) and on capstrat.com's servers which archive has listed as early as 25 Nov 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/20051125211849/http://capstrat.com/development/fedora/index.php?
>
> However our mailing list archives indicate it was available as early as
> Sept 16, 2005:
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.redhat.fedora.marketing/2005-09/msg00124.html

You did better then I, I found a logo on the old wiki from May 25th 2006.

-Mike______________________________________________ _
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Pam Chestek

On 2/9/2012 10:51 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> It was definitely published earlier than that on redhat's
> people.redhat.com server (see
> http://web.archive.org/web/20090131091157/http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc5graphics/ dated Dec 6, 2005) and on capstrat.com's servers which archive has listed as early as 25 Nov 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/20051125211849/http://capstrat.com/development/fedora/index.php?
>
> However our mailing list archives indicate it was available as early as
> Sept 16, 2005:
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.redhat.fedora.marketing/2005-09/msg00124.html
Some of this looks like it was while the design project was still
underway, but I need the date for the final version. I'm also not sure
of the standards for how public "publication" has to be under Chinese
law. I'll check on that, but you also reminded me that it was published
in Red Hat Magazine, which was December, 2005.
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/fedora/

Anyone know where the server for Red Hat Magazine in December, 2005 was?

Pam

Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:51:31 -0500
Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 09:49 -0500, Pam Chestek wrote:
> > The Wayback Machine show the first use of the logo online in April,
> > 2006. Does anyone have any information on the exact date it was
> > published? Second, does anyone know for sure where our servers
> > were in April, 2006 (or whatever date the logo was first
> > published)? I have information that the main Fedora server was at
> > Duke, but was moved to Phoenix, and the person didn't know exactly
> > when the servers were moved.
>
> It was definitely published earlier than that on redhat's
> people.redhat.com server (see
> http://web.archive.org/web/20090131091157/http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc5graphics/
> dated Dec 6, 2005) and on capstrat.com's servers which archive has
> listed as early as 25 Nov 2005:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20051125211849/http://capstrat.com/development/fedora/index.php?
>
> However our mailing list archives indicate it was available as early
> as Sept 16, 2005:
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.redhat.fedora.marketing/2005-09/msg00124.html

A little bit from my own personal timeline.

In August of 2005 I was deciding to transition to a new position at
duke. When I did that it meant fedora.linux.duke.edu (which was
fedoraproject.org for a while) was no longer going to be directly
controllable by someone in the project so we started moving things to
phx. I think Sopwith was settting things up then. It looks the server
transition happened sometime around oct or nov which would be
consistent b/c I got back to work around the end of october. I was on
vacation for a while between then.

In Dec of 2005 Greg Dekoenigsberg asked me to setup a
logo@fedoraproject.org for requests to use the logo.

He said:

" I'm still waiting for lawyer time, and it'll be the new year before
that happens, realistically -- so here's the usage guidelines: please
send usage requests to "logo@fedoraproject.org". Seth, could you set
that alias up and point it to me? Thanks. Once you've done that, I'll
update the wiki appropriately.
"

So - the timing all seems to say the logo was introduced around the end
of 2005 and was probably in place in NC and in AZ around that time.

Definitely by spring of 2006 it had moved to AZ.

Theoretically our lawyers might have the email from Greg from around
then.

-sv

Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:14:47 -0500
Pam Chestek <pchestek@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/2012 10:51 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > It was definitely published earlier than that on redhat's
> > people.redhat.com server (see
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20090131091157/http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc5graphics/
> > dated Dec 6, 2005) and on capstrat.com's servers which archive has
> > listed as early as 25 Nov 2005:
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20051125211849/http://capstrat.com/development/fedora/index.php?
> >
> > However our mailing list archives indicate it was available as
> > early as Sept 16, 2005:
> > http://osdir.com/ml/linux.redhat.fedora.marketing/2005-09/msg00124.html
> Some of this looks like it was while the design project was still
> underway, but I need the date for the final version. I'm also not
> sure of the standards for how public "publication" has to be under
> Chinese law. I'll check on that, but you also reminded me that it
> was published in Red Hat Magazine, which was December, 2005.
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/fedora/
>
> Anyone know where the server for Red Hat Magazine in December, 2005
> was?

RHIT would probably know.

-sv

Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Pam Chestek

Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Max Spevack

Hi Pam,

In addition to what Mo and Seth have already said:

The Fedora Infinity Logo was designed by Matt Muńoz, with Chris Grams
doing some of that coordination.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/History

Here is a Digg article that came up on September 16, 2005.

http://digg.com/news/story/Draft_of_New_Fedora_Logo

Unfortunately, the link to capstrat.com is no longer active, but you can
see people in the comments remarking on how awful it is.

Here's more:

http://www.actsofvolition.com/archive/2005/september/fedoralogo

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/fedora/

Chris Grams also wrote about the development of the Fedora logo in his
book, "The Ad Free Brand".

Matt and Chris are still right up the street from Red Hat.

http://newkind.com/munoz/

http://newkind.com/grams/

Ah, memories.

--Max_______________________________________________

Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Max Spevack

More:

The first release of Fedora that made use of the current logo was Fedora
Core 5, which had its final release on March 20, 2006.

The logo would have also been in the pre-release versions of Fedora Core
5, in the time leading up. Someone could go through and figure out
exactly which RPM first contained the new logo, and the date on which
that RPM was first made available, if necessary.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Core/5/html/Release_Notes/sn-OverView.html

Fedora Core 4 was the last release to contain the "old" Fedora logo, and
that release came out on June 13, 2005.

The fact that we see public archived discussion around the new (and
current) Fedora logo starting up in the months between FC4 and FC5 fits
perfectly into that timeline.

It might be a good idea to make sure that those web pages which are not
under Fedora or Red Hat's control are archived in case they ever go
stale.

--Max

Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Christoph Wickert

Am Donnerstag, den 09.02.2012, 17:03 -0800 schrieb Max Spevack:
> More:
>
> The first release of Fedora that made use of the current logo was Fedora
> Core 5, which had its final release on March 20, 2006.
>
> The logo would have also been in the pre-release versions of Fedora Core
> 5, in the time leading up. Someone could go through and figure out
> exactly which RPM first contained the new logo, and the date on which
> that RPM was first made available, if necessary.

The logo is contained in the fedora-logos package.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/5/source/SRPMS/fedora-logos-1.1.42-1.src.rpm

On the server the package has a timestamp of 06-Mar-2006 22:34.

The package meta data is as follows:

Name : fedora-logos
Version : 1.1.42
Release : 1
Architecture: noarch
Install Date: (not installed)
Group : System Environment/Base
Size : 943228
License : Copyright ďż˝ 1999-2005 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved.
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Mon Mar 6 23:33:58 2006, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Source RPM : (none)
Build Date : Wed Mar 1 05:41:16 2006
Build Host : hs20-bc1-4.build.redhat.com
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Vendor : Red Hat, Inc.
Description :
The fedora-logos package (the "Packages") contain image files which
incorporate the Fedora trademark and the RPM logo (the "Marks").
The Marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc.
in the United States and other countries and are used by permission.

The timestamp of the png graphics inside the source tarball is
2006-03-01 05:37:41

I guess there are older versions of the rpm out there, but I fail to
find the Fedora 5 pre-releases on the archive server. Do we have them
internally somewhere?

Regards,
Christoph