Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Spins proposals

Paul W. Frields wrote:

Jeff Spaleta has been kind enough to post his spin proposals on the wiki
for easier reading and comment. The main proposal is at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JefSpaleta/SpinReleaseProcessProposal

There are supplemental addenda at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JefSpaleta/SpinReleaseProcessAmendments
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JefSpaleta/CommunityHostedSpins

I am a bit tired of the spins discussion at this point but there are a
few odd things and some clarifications I need.

* IMO, it would be better to do a public proposal to fedora-devel list
and then take it to spins SIG so we get more public feedback on new spin
proposals.

* Release selection process doesn't say whether or not a older spin for
the older release or the current release will be retained when there is
a updated one available.

* Rel-eng is tasked with creating the final spin which I thought they
weren't interested in.

* Fedora QA is tasked with testing all the release spins. Nominally
being part of that team, I don't think QA has the resources (ie) enough
people involved considering that we have a six month release cycle and
lots of bugs to deal with

* Why is there a need to re-propose every spin each release? Spins
rotation talks about throwing away established spins in favor of new
spins unless rel-eng decides it is a permanent spin. If spins are long
live, doesnt that by itself mean it more of a permanent spin with enough
users around it and we shouldn't throw it away? If spins neeed to be
marked as permanent ones, shouldn't that be a decision of the spin SIG
instead of rel-eng?

Rahul