Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 AM
David Nalley

Default My Board member tasks

Hi folks,

Here is what I am passionate about seeing in Fedora:

The cloud.

I apologize for using a buzzword in a serious task, but I see cloud-y
things becoming far more important in the free software landscape and
in technology in general. In many ways it parallels the goals (albeit
in different ways) free software aspires to in empowering a user, by
offering on-demand self-service access to resources. I also fear what
happens if free software doesn't continue to play a leading role here,
and particularly if Fedora doesn't continue to participate.

Thusly, my goals are:
* Ensure that the major IaaS providers make Fedora available as a
deployable option.
* Ensure that the major open source IaaS and PaaS platforms are
packaged and available in Fedora.
* Ensure that the surrounding ecosystem is also available in Fedora,
be it the API abstraction tools like jclouds and fog, or provisioning
tools like puppet cloud provisioner, knife, and Boxgrinder are in
Fedora and available for people to use Fedora in cloud-building
activities.

In addition to this main goal I have a couple goals regarding the
governance within Fedora:

* Make sure the board remains responsive and accountable - often times
people are hindered from getting things done by our slow response -
and I hope a more fervent attention to trac and those pressing matters
makes us more responsible and accountable.

As a corollary to that I have the following goal:

* Make sure the board stays out of micromanaging those who are doing
work within Fedora. I firmly believe that the government that governs
least governs best, and while I don't want a disengaged board, I do
want a board that doesn't have to bless or anoint every action within
Fedora. Fedora is a community of doers, and with a few special
exceptions (trademark and other legals areas jump to mind) they should
always feel empowered to get things done, and not need excessive
amounts of permission.

--David

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Richard Shaw

I just sat through a presentation on Chef[1] this week at my local LUG
meeting. It looks pretty neat. The company the presenter works for
uses it to to increase their resources on demand from the Amazon
cloud.

I looked at packaging it briefly but it has a lot of dependencies,
some of which are not in Fedora yet and at least one other that needs
to be updated to a newer version (rubygem-json).

Thanks,
Richard

[1] http://www.opscode.com/chef/

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Guillermo Gómez

Point me out which deps u need packaged, maybe i can help.

- Guillermo -

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just sat through a presentation on Chef[1] this week at my local LUG
> meeting. It looks pretty neat. The company the presenter works for
> uses it to to increase their resources on demand from the Amazon
> cloud.
>
> I looked at packaging it briefly but it has a lot of dependencies,
> some of which are not in Fedora yet and at least one other that needs
> to be updated to a newer version (rubygem-json).
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> [1] http://www.opscode.com/chef/

Ing.Guillermo Gomez S.
Fedora Board Member A4
http://gomix.fedora-ve.org
http://www.neotechgw.com

Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Richard Shaw

2012/2/8 Guillermo Gómez <guillermo.gomez@gmail.com>:
> Point me out which deps u need packaged, maybe i can help.

If the documentation is up to date, these appear to be missing:
rubygem-jeweler
rubygem-dep_selector
Gecode (http://www.gecode.org/)

Thanks,