Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default Fedora Torrent seeder plans and future

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:16:47AM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 29/01/12 04:24, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> >Something like the above but restricted to a certain geographical area?
> >

> If your going to create torrents, myself anyway,
> would still like to seed if possible?

I wasn't thinking of the torrents being restricted to a location -- I was
thinking that the statistics gathering be targetted at certain locations.

In the Board meeting several Board members thought that torrents were
a better technology than direct download in their particular areas of the
world. So one possibility for measuring whether the benefit of torrents
outweighs the cost of maintainance might be to measure how many people from
those areas are completing download via torrents vs direct download.

-Toshio

Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Christopher Meng

This question remain in my inbox for a long time.I just want to throw
my opinion to everyone.
First,we cant suspend this project as there still have users use bt to download.
Second,I prefer to use magnet link rather than provide torrent.Because
I think this way of download has less obstruction during downloading.
Last but not least,you have said,direct download is faster than
torrent many times.So I hope infrastructure team delete the live
torrent and never provide livecd torrent from now.
That's my suggestion.

--

Best Regards,
Christopher Meng------'Cicku'

My personal blog is http://cicku.me,hope you can visit and say something
about it.
More Contact info see here:http://about.me/cicku

Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On 01/28/2012 08:45 PM, Max Spevack wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Matt Domsch wrote:

Responding here, but assuming that future messages will probably move
to the cloud@ mailing list.
Ding ding ding. I'm cc'ing the illustrious, world-famous cloud sig
mailing list (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/cloud for
those of you who want to get in on the action). Whoever responds there
first: You're tasked with removing advisory-board from your reply.

I'd love to see this mini- (or perhaps mega-, I'm not sure how enormous
the scope is here) project move forward - I wonder if this is something
we can pull together before we do F17 alpha or beta, so we can get it
tested and make sure our Beefy Miracle is kosher on AWS/S3/EC2 for
final. Some of that presumably depends on the bandwidth of mdomsch
and dgilmore, but there are probably bits and pieces where others can
pitch in.

Shameless advertising: If you're interested in learning about how
mirrormanager works, or interested in learning how EC2/S3/etc. work,
this is probably a great spot to learn something -- and I hear that
Cloudy Knowledge may be useful in futuretimes.

I'm here. I think it's a combination of people in Cloud SIG with S3
experience, and Infra that's on the hook to deliver.

I put some thoughts as to how it could/should work here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring/Amazon

but there are a lot of details about working with S3 that I simply
don't know (e.g. the per-bucket policies, and how to get the list of
IP netblocks for each region).

That is all stuff that I, or someone in my team, can help with, since
part of our mandate is to help external Linux distros to use AWS in
whatever manner they desire.

Regarding the IP addresses -- one of the things that we do with the
repositories for the Amazon Linux AMI (which are in every region's S3)
is place ACLs on those S3 buckets such that they will only accept
connections from the IP address ranges that are known to be EC2
instances. In other words, we ensure that only EC2 instances can
access the repositories.

Those IP ranges are here --
https://forums.aws.amazon.com/ann.jspa?annID=1252

Also, I've never tried syncing 700GB using s3cmd sync, much less into
each of the 8 regions...

I'll look into what tool we use to sync our repos into S3.

--Max