Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Advisory Board (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/)
-   -   internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/621692-internet-censorship-statement-fedoraproject-org-front-page-fudcon-board-meeting.html)

Stephen John Smoogen 01-16-2012 09:26 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
On 16 January 2012 15:15, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> As another note...
>
> can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?
>
> I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
> to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
> this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
> well?

Actually for "blackouts" there are usually NO webpages. There will be
no logins. There will be no pages other than


"Closed for SIPA/PIPA and similar bills."
"This is how the web will look in 2012 unless you call your closest US
government representative."
"Read more at ...."



> kevin
>
> --
> websites mailing list
> websites@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/websites



--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me,... Elwood, you must be oh
so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

David Nalley 01-16-2012 09:28 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 January 2012 15:15, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
>> As another note...
>>
>> can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?
>>
>> I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
>> to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
>> this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
>> well?
>
> Actually for "blackouts" there are usually NO webpages. There will be
> no logins. There will be no pages other than
>
>
> "Closed for SIPA/PIPA and similar bills."
> "This is how the web will look in 2012 unless you call your closest US
> government representative."
> "Read more at ...."
>
>


The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
one of the considerations.

--David
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Ralf Corsepius 01-17-2012 04:28 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
On 01/16/2012 11:28 PM, David Nalley wrote:

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Stephen John Smoogen<smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

On 16 January 2012 15:15, Kevin Fenzi<kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

As another note...

can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?

I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
well?


Actually for "blackouts" there are usually NO webpages. There will be
no logins. There will be no pages other than


"Closed for SIPA/PIPA and similar bills."
"This is how the web will look in 2012 unless you call your closest US
government representative."
"Read more at ...."





The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
one of the considerations.


FYI: SUSE just announced this:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2012-01/msg00000.html

Ralf
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Robyn Bergeron 01-17-2012 05:34 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:28 -0500, David Nalley wrote:
>> The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
>> one of the considerations.
>
> Time is short and we need some text ASAP. Can someone on the Board
> provide some text for the ticker and banner? (screenshot attached)

I may be confusing this with something else, but wasn't Jared also
going to run the text by legal?

-r
>
> ~m
>
> p.s.
>
> If I don't get any text in time, I am happy to write & use lyrics for a
> song called 'No Hot Dog, No Cry'...
>
> Said I remember when we used to sit
> In the forums on the internet
> Oba, ob-serving the flamers and trolls
> As they would mingle with the good people we meet
> Good friends we have had, oh good friends we've lost along the way
> In this bright future you can't forget your past
> So dry your mustard I say
>
> No hot dog, no cry
> No hot dog, no cry
> Oh my Little beef product, don't she'd no mustard
> No hot dog, no cry
>
> [i'll spare you more, it's almost lunch time here]
>
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Robyn Bergeron 01-17-2012 06:05 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 11:34 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> 2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
>> > On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:28 -0500, David Nalley wrote:
>> >> The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
>> >> one of the considerations.
>> >
>> > Time is short and we need some text ASAP. Can someone on the Board
>> > provide some text for the ticker and banner? (screenshot attached)
>>
>> I may be confusing this with something else, but wasn't Jared also
>> going to run the text by legal?
>
> I tried his email yesterday; his phone and IRC today, but no response
> yet :(
>
> I was going to write something up myself, but I don't know if that is
> possible if it has to be run through legal. I have an unrelated
> conference call from 2-3 and an unrelated Red Hat customer meeting after
> that so it is going to be impossible for me to do it, if it also needs
> to pass through legal.
>
> I guess we could just fall back on something much shorter than the
> filler text:
>
> "Fedora does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA and PIPA."
>
> and have the learn more point to the american censorship website that
> Ian has it pointing to in git right now?
>
> ~m

You're doing the work :) I hereby empower you to make the decision,
with my non-powers being that I am in the community. Let's not get
blocked by waiting to see if someone else will take it up if you are
willing to run with it.

I think the text is short and sweet and that it works. I would only
suggest substituting "The Fedora Project" for Fedora in that line,
just to make the distinction very clear about who is making the
statement.

And if Fedora Legal (hi spot!) has no issues, I think we're good.
Spot: Can you eyeball that line and yay/nay?

Mo: Thanks for championing this and working to bring it all together,
I know many folks are tired and just getting back from FUDCon and
catching up with $dayjobs, so it's appreciated.

>
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Tom Callaway 01-17-2012 06:09 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
On 01/17/2012 02:05 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> And if Fedora Legal (hi spot!) has no issues, I think we're good.
> Spot: Can you eyeball that line and yay/nay?

I approve it, with the change Robyn pointed out.

~tom

==
Fedora Project
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Guillermo Gómez 01-17-2012 07:13 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
FWIW, +1 from my side including Robyn changes.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 02:05 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> And if Fedora Legal (hi spot!) has no issues, I think we're good.
>> Spot: Can you eyeball that line and yay/nay?
>
> I approve it, with the change Robyn pointed out.
>
> ~tom
>
> ==
> Fedora Project
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board



--
Ing.Guillermo Gomez S.
Fedora Board Member A4
http://gomix.fedora-ve.org
http://www.neotechgw.com
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Peter Robinson 01-17-2012 09:33 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 11:34 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> 2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
>> > On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:28 -0500, David Nalley wrote:
>> >> The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
>> >> one of the considerations.
>> >
>> > Time is short and we need some text ASAP. Can someone on the Board
>> > provide some text for the ticker and banner? (screenshot attached)
>>
>> I may be confusing this with something else, but wasn't Jared also
>> going to run the text by legal?
>
> I tried his email yesterday; his phone and IRC today, but no response
> yet :(
>
> I was going to write something up myself, but I don't know if that is
> possible if it has to be run through legal. I have an unrelated
> conference call from 2-3 and an unrelated Red Hat customer meeting after
> that so it is going to be impossible for me to do it, if it also needs
> to pass through legal.
>
> I guess we could just fall back on something much shorter than the
> filler text:
>
> "Fedora does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA and PIPA."
>
> and have the learn more point to the american censorship website that
> Ian has it pointing to in git right now?

The text the board approved wasn't specific to American censorship,
what was approved was a generic text about censorship on the internet
in general.

There is constant censorship in China, Iran and many other countries.
There's similar legislation going through, being proposed, or actually
being implemented in many other countries such as Spain.

The query to spot/legal was to confirm if they had issues with us
putting such a message on the site.

Peter
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Peter Robinson 01-17-2012 10:19 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 22:33 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> The text the board approved wasn't specific to American censorship,
>> what was approved was a generic text about censorship on the internet
>> in general.
>
> Where is the text that the board approved? I asked here on list for text
> yesterday and didn't get anything, so I wrote that up.
>
> If something that's been approved can be sent quickly then I can try to
> squeeze it in, but right now the text Spot approved here on-list is
> what's committed in the repo.

Jared was going to write up the exact text but it was to be general
and not explicit for US law in particular. What is the exact text you
currently have?

Peter
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Peter Robinson 01-17-2012 10:32 PM

internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)
 
2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 23:19 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Jared was going to write up the exact text but it was to be general
>> and not explicit for US law in particular. What is the exact text you
>> currently have?
>
> I could not reach him today or yesterday and I asked on this list and in
> #fedora-advisory-board this morning if anyone else on the board could
> come up with something.

I know he was cleaning up FUDCon related things and then had alot of
driving ahead of him today so I suspect he may have been on the road.

> Since I didn't get anything back, Robyn and I came up with:
>
> "The Fedora Project does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA
> and PIPA."
>
> Spot provided legal approval for the language. You can see it in
> staging, here:
>
> http://stg.fedoraproject.org
>
> This all happened on-list here, though. Although without the
> [Design-team] in the subject so maybe the thread got split up? (my bad
> for cc'ing so many lists)

The (rather intense) board discussion explicitly decided not to got
with an explicit SOPA/PIPA message with links to the explicit American
legislation as Fedora is an international project with members that
are exposed to internet censorship everyday. Can we adjust the message
to reflect that?

Peter
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.