FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Advisory Board

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On 01/18/2012 07:56 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 17 January 2012 21:39, Mairin Duffy Strode <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?
>>
> Thankyou Mairin for getting this done. I would have preferred the way
> the OpenSuSE board and website went but I am glad we have something
> there.
>
+1

--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless"

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Stephen John Smoogen
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On 18 January 2012 07:12, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17 January 2012 21:39, Mairin Duffy Strode <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?
>>>
>>
>> Thankyou Mairin for getting this done. I would have preferred the way
>> the OpenSuSE board and website went but I am glad we have something
>> there.
>
> We discussed a number of options at the board meeting. We decided not
> to do a black out on one specific day because the Fedora project is a
> global project and not US specific. There are a lot of countries with
> many Fedora contributors that have a lot worse than the SOPA/PIPA
> legislation every day, there is also a number of countries that have
> similar legislation going through process as well. It was for those

Yes, the board may have discussed that and quite heatedly but I have
figured I should register my opinion to the board about their
decision.

I have learned from long experience that general protests about
things that concern people don't get very far and fall apart. If you
are going to protest make it something specific and pointed and
something you can measure whether it was effective or not. Pretty much
all the things that were said about last years goals.

I have said my piece on this, done my specific protest, and I am
moving on to stuff I can try to fix elsewhere.


--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me,... Elwood, you must be oh
so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On 01/18/2012 02:41 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On 18 January 2012 07:12, Peter Robinson wrote:


We discussed a number of options at the board meeting. We decided not
to do a black out on one specific day because the Fedora project is a
global project and not US specific. There are a lot of countries with
many Fedora contributors that have a lot worse than the SOPA/PIPA
legislation every day, there is also a number of countries that have
similar legislation going through process as well. It was for those


Yes, the board may have discussed that and quite heatedly but I have
figured I should register my opinion to the board about their
decision.

I have learned from long experience that general protests about
things that concern people don't get very far and fall apart. If you
are going to protest make it something specific and pointed and
something you can measure whether it was effective or not. Pretty much
all the things that were said about last years goals.


The hard truth is that from Fedora's point of view, laws in various
countries are not equal. The project is USA-based and the main sponsor
is an USA company, while we are displeased by censorship laws in
countries like Iran and is nice to protest against them, censorship laws
in USA affect us directly and already did it in the past for cases like
cryptography or multimedia support.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Mairin Duffy Strode
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

Okay,

- does your draft have the legal approval or is that still pending?

- When do you want us to shift from the US-centric statement to the more generic one you wrote up? Since it is not as time-sensitive as SOPA/PIPA, how long would you like it to stay up for?

- Also, I am not sure all of this text will fit in the banner.... If it doesn't, do you want us to split out a new, separate page or cull it down to fit?

Thanks
m
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
"Jared K. Smith"
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Mairin Duffy Strode
<duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> - does your draft have the legal approval or is that still pending?

Approval from legal is still pending, but I'd be happy enough with a
+1 from Spot. I don't think there's really anything controversial in
the statement. I'm also happy for other feedback on the statement in
general, as I'm sure people can wordsmith it better than I can.

> - When do you want us to shift from the US-centric statement to the more generic one you wrote up? Since it is not as time-sensitive as SOPA/PIPA, how long would you like it to stay up for?

As soon as we get it approved I guess. In the Board meeting, we
agreed to have it stay up until the end of the month.

> - Also, I am not sure all of this text will fit in the banner.... If it doesn't, do you want us to split out a new, separate page or cull it down to fit?

My intention wasn't to put all of the text in the banner -- simply to
link to the wiki page where people could go read the statement. Does
that work for you?

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
"Jared K. Smith"
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

2012/1/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 08:57 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> My intention wasn't to put all of the text in the banner -- simply to
>> link to the wiki page where people could go read the statement. *Does
>> that work for you?
>
> That works if you can also give us text for the banner clickthru itself,
> as well as the text you want in the ticker to accompany it.

Just to clarify here... the Board debated back and forth between
several different options -- A blackout, a blackout with
click-through, a banner, or a ticker (on any combination of the
website, the wiki, and start.fedoraproject.org). After some healthy
debate back and forth, we come up with three different proposals. One
was a blackout (with click-through) specifically aimed at SOPA/PIPA.
The second was the ticker on fedoraproject.org simply linking to a
general statement on the wiki, and leaving it there for the rest of
January. If I remember correctly, proposal three was "do nothing".
The second proposal received the most votes. If we can put a
similarly sized ticker on start.fp.o and the wiki, I'm fine with
having it there as well.

The text for the ticker might read "Fedora's Statement on Internet Freedom".

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org