FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Advisory Board

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
David Nalley
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

> The (rather intense) board discussion explicitly decided not to got
> with an explicit SOPA/PIPA message with links to the explicit American
> legislation as Fedora is an international project with members that
> are exposed to internet censorship everyday. Can we adjust the message
> to reflect that?
>


My apologies that the meeting minutes weren't detailed enough on this
issue, as we indeed spent a good chunk of time talking about
SOPA/PIPA/'Things that effect the rest of the world and are clearly
worse', and that while we are really against SOPA/PIPA - there are
equally bad or worse things proposed or enacted outside the US.

--David
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Josh Boyer
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
>> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 23:19 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Jared was going to write up the exact text but it was to be general
>>> and not explicit for US law in particular. What is the exact text you
>>> currently have?
>>
>> I could not reach him today or yesterday and I asked on this list and in
>> #fedora-advisory-board this morning if anyone else on the board could
>> come up with something.
>
> I know he was cleaning up FUDCon related things and then had alot of
> driving ahead of him today so I suspect he may have been on the road.
>
>> Since I didn't get anything back, Robyn and I came up with:
>>
>> "The Fedora Project does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA
>> and PIPA."
>>
>> Spot provided legal approval for the language. You can see it in
>> staging, here:
>>
>> http://stg.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> This all happened on-list here, though. Although without the
>> [Design-team] in the subject so maybe the thread got split up? (my bad
>> for cc'ing so many lists)
>
> The (rather intense) board discussion explicitly decided not to got
> with an explicit SOPA/PIPA message with links to the explicit American
> legislation as Fedora is an international project with members that
> are exposed to internet censorship everyday. Can we adjust the message
> to reflect that?

Adjust it how? Mo has been asking for text or suggestions for 2 days now, so
asking her to change it without providing suggestions isn't particularly
helpful.

Getting it changed on such short notice is going to be slightly hard. Text is
"easy" to change, but the 'Learn More' link goes to americancensorship.org.
That either needs to be dropped entirely, or directed to something else. That
"something" is a bit difficult to decide last minute. Ideally it would have
directed to a Board written and approved message on Internet censorship page
that discussed broader issues and possibly mentioned the "new" threat of
SOPA/PIPA but we obviously don't have such a page. Dropping the link entirely
is doable but leaves unaware visitors with really no information at all.

josh
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Mairin Duffy Strode
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?


-------- Original Message --------
From: Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com>
Sent: Tue Jan 17 20:21:47 EST 2012
To: Fedora community advisory board <advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: [Design-team] internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
>> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 23:19 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Jared was going to write up the exact text but it was to be general
>>> and not explicit for US law in particular. What is the exact text you
>>> currently have?
>>
>> I could not reach him today or yesterday and I asked on this list and in
>> #fedora-advisory-board this morning if anyone else on the board could
>> come up with something.
>
> I know he was cleaning up FUDCon related things and then had alot of
> driving ahead of him today so I suspect he may have been on the road.
>
>> Since I didn't get anything back, Robyn and I came up with:
>>
>> "The Fedora Project does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA
>> and PIPA."
>>
>> Spot provided legal approval for the language. You can see it in
>> staging, here:
>>
>> http://stg.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> This all happened on-list here, though. Although without the
>> [Design-team] in the subject so maybe the thread got split up? (my bad
>> for cc'ing so many lists)
>
> The (rather intense) board discussion explicitly decided not to got
> with an explicit SOPA/PIPA message with links to the explicit American
> legislation as Fedora is an international project with members that
> are exposed to internet censorship everyday. Can we adjust the message
> to reflect that?

Adjust it how? Mo has been asking for text or suggestions for 2 days now, so
asking her to change it without providing suggestions isn't particularly
helpful.

Getting it changed on such short notice is going to be slightly hard. Text is
"easy" to change, but the 'Learn More' link goes to americancensorship.org.
That either needs to be dropped entirely, or directed to something else. That
"something" is a bit difficult to decide last minute. Ideally it would have
directed to a Board written and approved message on Internet censorship page
that discussed broader issues and possibly mentioned the "new" threat of
SOPA/PIPA but we obviously don't have such a page. Dropping the link entirely
is doable but leaves unaware visitors with really no information at all.

josh
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Jon Stanley
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Mairin Duffy Strode
<duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?

I'm personally fine with what's there (at stg.fedoraproject.org) -
though there was heated debate during the meeting about this not being
a US-only issue, I personally think that something is better than
nothing and salute your efforts to get something up on such short
notice! (and love the empty hot-dog bun!)
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 AM
David Nalley
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Mairin Duffy Strode
> <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?
>
> I'm personally fine with what's there (at stg.fedoraproject.org) -
> though there was heated debate during the meeting about this not being
> a US-only issue, I personally think that something is better than
> nothing and salute your efforts to get something up on such short
> notice! (and love the empty hot-dog bun!)


The immediate issue is US-only. The larger issue isn't time sensitive
though - and can be adjusted after the SOPA/PIPA day of solidarity has
passed. Please don't abort.

--David
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Kévin Raymond
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

Le 18 janv. 2012 03:39, "Mairin Duffy Strode" <duffy@fedoraproject.org> a écrit*:

>

> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?



We were really short in time. Even if not managed according to the initial plan, thank you for this efficient result!

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
"Jared K. Smith"
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> I tried his email yesterday; his phone and IRC today, but no response
> yet

I apologize for being unavailable yesterday. I was driving back from
Blacksburg yesterday, and didn't notice your text messages until early
this morning. The text I wrote up is at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jsmith/drafts/Statement_on_Internet_Freedom.
As already explained in this thread -- the Board agreed that instead
of just highlighting this one piece of proposed legislation, we felt
it was more appropriate to reaffirm our stance on Internet freedom in
general, and encourage individuals to take a more specific stance when
they feel it is warranted. We also opted to not to do a black-out,
but instead to simply put a link to the statement in the orange "News"
banner on www.fedoraproject.org.

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
"Jared K. Smith"
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm personally fine with what's there (at stg.fedoraproject.org) -
> though there was heated debate during the meeting about this not being
> a US-only issue, I personally think that something is better than
> nothing and salute your efforts to get something up on such short
> notice! (and love the empty hot-dog bun!)

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for taking action while I was
unavailable, even if it wasn't exactly what we had agreed upon in the
Board meeting.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Stephen John Smoogen
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On 17 January 2012 21:39, Mairin Duffy Strode <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?
>

Thankyou Mairin for getting this done. I would have preferred the way
the OpenSuSE board and website went but I am glad we have something
there.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me,... Elwood, you must be oh
so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Peter Robinson
 
Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2012 21:39, Mairin Duffy Strode <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?
>>
>
> Thankyou Mairin for getting this done. I would have preferred the way
> the OpenSuSE board and website went but I am glad we have something
> there.

We discussed a number of options at the board meeting. We decided not
to do a black out on one specific day because the Fedora project is a
global project and not US specific. There are a lot of countries with
many Fedora contributors that have a lot worse than the SOPA/PIPA
legislation every day, there is also a number of countries that have
similar legislation going through process as well. It was for those
reasons it was decided to put a non country/legislation specific
message that ran from the 18th until the end of the month to express
the projects concerns with this style of legislations in particular
rather than being specific.

Peter
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org