Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Advisory Board (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/)
-   -   FUDcon Board Meeting (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/621308-fudcon-board-meeting.html)

David Nalley 01-15-2012 08:00 PM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
In attendance at FUDcon: Toshio Kuratomi, Christoph Wickert, Jon
Stanley, Jared Smith, Peter Robinson, David Nalley
In attendance via phone/IRC: Rex Dieter
Not in attendance: Jaroslav Reznik, Rudi Landmann, Guillermo Gómez



== SOPA ==

Proposals:

1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on
Jan 18th. 2 for - 5 against.
2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements
til the end of the month on the front page. +7
3. Do Nothing - obviated


Proposal 2 approved.

Jared to write statement to announce and arrange for ticker tape.


==French Community Domain==

they want to have fr. fedoracommunity.org pointing to fedora-fr.org

approved, no dissension

== DuckDuckGo proposals: ==

1 - ship search engine plugin
2 - default for the above
3 - use ddg for start.fp.o as well.

Proposal: 1-2 is a maintainer issue - please file in bugzilla. 3 is a
websites issue - file on their trac.
The board itself has no opinion on the matter

approved - no dissension

== Fedora Council Discussion ==
non-elected group with membership from all projects within Fedora to
improve collaboration. Christoph asked for feedback


== Finance discussion ==

Lots of status updates on community credit cards, and how we move
forward. No decision.
Proposals to come out of this discussion.

End of meeting.
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Nicu Buculei 01-16-2012 09:02 AM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
On 01/15/2012 11:00 PM, David Nalley wrote:

== SOPA ==

Proposals:

1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on
Jan 18th. 2 for - 5 against.
2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements
til the end of the month on the front page. +7
3. Do Nothing - obviated


Proposal 2 approved.

Jared to write statement to announce and arrange for ticker tape.


Can we also have Fedora listed at http://sopastrike.com/ ?

--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Jaroslav Reznik 01-16-2012 09:12 AM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
Hi guys,
sorry I missed the call/IRC :(

----- Original Message -----
> In attendance at FUDcon: Toshio Kuratomi, Christoph Wickert, Jon
> Stanley, Jared Smith, Peter Robinson, David Nalley
> In attendance via phone/IRC: Rex Dieter
> Not in attendance: Jaroslav Reznik, Rudi Landmann, Guillermo Gómez
>
>
>
> == SOPA ==
>
> Proposals:
>
> 1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on
> Jan 18th. 2 for - 5 against.
> 2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements
> til the end of the month on the front page. +7
> 3. Do Nothing - obviated
>
>
> Proposal 2 approved.

Ok, agreed.

> Jared to write statement to announce and arrange for ticker tape.
>
>
> ==French Community Domain==
>
> they want to have fr. fedoracommunity.org pointing to fedora-fr.org
>
> approved, no dissension

Agreed.

> == DuckDuckGo proposals: ==
>
> 1 - ship search engine plugin
> 2 - default for the above
> 3 - use ddg for start.fp.o as well.
>
> Proposal: 1-2 is a maintainer issue - please file in bugzilla. 3 is a
> websites issue - file on their trac.
> The board itself has no opinion on the matter
>
> approved - no dissension

Does this mean Board approved it to be take into effect as a policy or
it's more "file bug and if maintainer feels it's ok, do it?".

I like the idea of open source friendly search engine but I see a a few
issues with it - see my comments to Mairin's post.

> == Fedora Council Discussion ==
> non-elected group with membership from all projects within Fedora to
> improve collaboration. Christoph asked for feedback

Christoph, could you share your proposal. For me it sounds like some black
magic for now :)

>
> == Finance discussion ==
>
> Lots of status updates on community credit cards, and how we move
> forward. No decision.
> Proposals to come out of this discussion.
>
> End of meeting.
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Peter Robinson 01-16-2012 09:40 AM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
On Jan 16, 2012 5:19 AM, "Jaroslav Reznik" <jreznik@redhat.com> wrote:

>

> Hi guys,

> sorry I missed the call/IRC :(

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> > In attendance at FUDcon: Toshio Kuratomi, Christoph Wickert, Jon

> > Stanley, Jared Smith, Peter Robinson, David Nalley

> > In attendance via phone/IRC: Rex Dieter

> > Not in attendance: Jaroslav Reznik, Rudi Landmann, Guillermo Gómez

> >

> >

> >

> > == SOPA ==

> >

> > Proposals:

> >

> > 1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on

> > Jan 18th. *2 for - 5 against.

> > 2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements

> > til the end of the month on the front page. +7

> > 3. Do Nothing - obviated

> >

> >

> > Proposal 2 approved.

>

> Ok, agreed.

>

> > Jared to write statement to announce and arrange for ticker tape.

> >

> >

> > ==French Community Domain==

> >

> > they want to have fr. fedoracommunity.org pointing to fedora-fr.org

> >

> > approved, no dissension

>

> Agreed.

>

> > == DuckDuckGo proposals: ==

> >

> > 1 - ship search engine plugin

> > 2 - default for the above

> > 3 - use ddg for start.fp.o as well.

> >

> > Proposal: 1-2 is a maintainer issue - please file in bugzilla. 3 is a

> > websites issue - file on their trac.

> > The board itself has no opinion on the matter

> >

> > approved - no dissension

>

> Does this mean Board approved it to be take into effect as a policy or

> it's more "file bug and if maintainer feels it's ok, do it?".


It means the board has no preference on which search engine and it's up to the individual packages to add new search options and which one they set as default on a case by case basis.


> I like the idea of open source friendly search engine but I see a a few

> issues with it - see my comments to Mairin's post.

>

> > == Fedora Council Discussion ==

> > non-elected group with membership from all projects within Fedora to

> > improve collaboration. Christoph asked for feedback

>

> Christoph, could you share your proposal. For me it sounds like some black

> magic for now :)

>

> >

> > == Finance discussion ==

> >

> > Lots of status updates on community credit cards, and how we move

> > forward. No decision.

> > Proposals to come out of this discussion.

> >

> > End of meeting.

> > _______________________________________________

> > advisory-board mailing list

> > advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

> _______________________________________________

> advisory-board mailing list

> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Christoph Wickert 01-16-2012 09:43 AM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
Am Montag, den 16.01.2012, 12:02 +0200 schrieb Nicu Buculei:
> On 01/15/2012 11:00 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> > == SOPA ==
> >
> > Proposals:
> >
> > 1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on
> > Jan 18th. 2 for - 5 against.
> > 2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements
> > til the end of the month on the front page. +7
> > 3. Do Nothing - obviated
> >
> >
> > Proposal 2 approved.
> >
> > Jared to write statement to announce and arrange for ticker tape.
>
> Can we also have Fedora listed at http://sopastrike.com/ ?

We decided to NOT go on strike but instead have the ticker and a
statement.

Fedora is an international project and there are a lot of similar acts
in other countries. We had this discussion in Germany already and AFAIK
there are similar acts discussed in the UK and Spain.

If we go on strike because of SOPA, we'd also need to go on strike for
all the other acts or for censored internet in countries like China.
We'd need to shutdown the Fedora website *permanently* because we cannot
draw a line between the US and SOPA on the one hand and all he other
countries on the other. This is why most of us think a statement from us
is better.

Regards,
Christoph


_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Kévin Raymond 01-16-2012 09:46 AM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
>
> == SOPA ==
>
> Proposals:
>
> 1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on
> Jan 18th. *2 for - 5 against.
> 2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements
> til the end of the month on the front page. +7

does "Front page" means "fedoraproject.org home page"?
In that case filling a new ticket would be awesome
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-websites/report/1

> 3. Do Nothing - obviated
>
>
> Proposal 2 approved.
>
> Jared to write statement to announce and arrange for ticker tape.
>
--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)
GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Peter Robinson 01-16-2012 12:29 PM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> == SOPA ==
>>
>> Proposals:
>>
>> 1. Change the front page with clickthrough with general position on
>> Jan 18th. *2 for - 5 against.
>> 2. General statement to announce + ticker tape linking to statements
>> til the end of the month on the front page. +7
>
> does "Front page" *means "fedoraproject.org home page"?
> In that case filling a new ticket would be awesome
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-websites/report/1

Jared is writing the statement, when he has it ready he will file the
appropriate tickets to get the site updated.

Regards,
Peter
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Rahul Sundaram 01-18-2012 06:00 PM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
On 01/16/2012 02:30 AM, David Nalley wrote:

> == DuckDuckGo proposals: ==
>
> 1 - ship search engine plugin
> 2 - default for the above
> 3 - use ddg for start.fp.o as well.
>
> Proposal: 1-2 is a maintainer issue - please file in bugzilla. 3 is a
> websites issue - file on their trac.
> The board itself has no opinion on the matter

That's disappointing. I would have thought this is more than a simply a
maintainer issue. I think this is a place where the board can and IMO
should take a principled position. It directly related to the Fedora vision

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Vision_statement


Rahul
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

David Nalley 01-18-2012 06:11 PM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2012 02:30 AM, David Nalley wrote:
>
>> == DuckDuckGo proposals: ==
>>
>> 1 - ship search engine plugin
>> 2 - default for the above
>> 3 - use ddg for start.fp.o as well.
>>
>> Proposal: 1-2 is a maintainer issue - please file in bugzilla. 3 is a
>> websites issue - file on their trac.
>> The board itself has no opinion on the matter
>
> That's disappointing. *I would have thought this is more than a simply a
> maintainer issue. *I think this is a place where the board can and IMO
> should take a principled position. *It directly related to the Fedora vision
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Vision_statement
>


From my POV the move in question doesn't necessarily achieve anything
in the vision or further Fedora's goals.

This isn't a case of the board skipping out on it's responsibility
IMO, but rather the board trying to stay out of the way and not
wanting to micromanage every last decision to be made. Fedora is a
place where individuals are empowered to make things happen, and
generally don't need permission to get things done. While I can
appreciate that folks want sanction, I'd far rather them take things
up on their own.

--David
speaking only for myself.
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Rahul Sundaram 01-18-2012 06:44 PM

FUDcon Board Meeting
 
On 01/19/2012 12:41 AM, David Nalley wrote:

>
> From my POV the move in question doesn't necessarily achieve anything
> in the vision or further Fedora's goals.

We disagree on that. Point 1 and 2 in the vision requires open tools.
Privacy is a important corollary to 3 in the vision statement. Vision
statements don't mean much without any followup actions. I cannot name
even one.

> This isn't a case of the board skipping out on it's responsibility
> IMO, but rather the board trying to stay out of the way and not
> wanting to micromanage every last decision to be made.

Perhaps. I think the board has ventured too far out of taking on any
responsibility and I would prefer to see a much more active board. To
be accused of micro managing, one needs to manage in the first place.

Rahul
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.