-   -   Please don't forget the goals set in 2011 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/620933-please-dont-forget-goals-set-2011-a.html)

Pierre-Yves Chibon 01-14-2012 02:39 PM

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 10:23 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> I believe deeply that fixing mailing lists is going to have a lot of
> far-reaching positive effects and I really hope that a board member
> takes this issue on to champion in 2012.

May I ask, what are the ideas that could be done to improve the said
situation?
Has there been thoughts about this last year?

Thanks,
Pierre

Máirín Duffy 01-14-2012 02:40 PM

Please don't forget the goals set in 2011

Hi Pierre,

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 16:39 +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 10:23 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> > I believe deeply that fixing mailing lists is going to have a lot of
> > far-reaching positive effects and I really hope that a board member
> > takes this issue on to champion in 2012.
>
> May I ask, what are the ideas that could be done to improve the said
> situation?
> Has there been thoughts about this last year?

Yep, there has been. This was my proposal but we didn't have the
developer time to make it happen:

(Not that it is the perfect solution but maybe a good start)

~m

Toshio Kuratomi 01-15-2012 12:00 PM

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:23:41AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board_goals_2011
>
> I still think these goals are really important and hope that at least
> some of them are championed by members of the current board.
>
> For the sake of convenience, they are:
>
> 1) Improve and simplify collaboration in the Fedora Community
>
> 2) Improve and encourage high-quality communication in the Fedora
> Community
>
> 3) It is extraordinarily easy to join the Fedora community and quickly
> find a project to work on.
>
> 4) Expand global presence of Fedora among users & contributors
>
> 5) Improve education & skill sharing in community
>
> Some specific problems cited by FESCO and the Board at the time (which
> are still quite relevant) are:
>
> - Mailing list communication is a mess
>
> - Fedora Classroom needs more leadership / publicity
>
> - It's really hard to get started
>
> I believe deeply that fixing mailing lists is going to have a lot of
> far-reaching positive effects and I really hope that a board member
> takes this issue on to champion in 2012.

Thanks! We're looking for tactical goals at this point in time. So
bringing up the examples that we included that you think are important are
good. I thnk I recall that mailing lists had a suggestion from you to
implement an alternate front-end to mailman archives that was forum-like.

Fedora Classroom, I think you've defined the problem well.

Hard getting started could use something more specific to work on.

One of the things that several audience members called out was that they
think having measurable indicators of a task's success or failure was
important. If a board member takes one of these on, they'll need to analyze
these and come up with those as well.

-Toshio