Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Peter Larsen

Default Partnership with DuckDuckGo?

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 18:31 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> DuckDuckGo is an alternative to Google and Bing that, while not really
> open source, uses open source components, donates 10% of their profits
> to open source projects, and is of course built on free software:
>
> http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216390-open-source

Personally I would be a bit hesitant. A few months ago the big news I
was following was how anti-open source duck-duck-go was - several
searched was straight out parallel to what bing returned. I've tried to
use duck-duck-go a bit but haven't been too happy with it - that said, I
rarely saw the anti-open source evidence myself - but I did see it
posted on several sites that produced screendumps to document it:

http://www.muktware.com/news/3012

http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/are_duckduckgo_s_bing_ties_a_problem_for_linux_min t

Hopefully this is not true but it did make me go cold on the idea of
trying it as an alternative to my "trusted" google.

> So how does that make them different from say Google? Well, they are
> extremely committed to user privacy and don't track users or otherwise
> collect or retain personal information about them:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html
>
> I recently came across an article that mentioned LinuxMint now ships
> with DuckDuckGo configured:
>
> http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1884

Yes - but this also caused a lot of ruckus because of the above issue
(see above link from digg/pcworld).

> I don't know if shipping with DuckDuckGo configured in our browsers by
> default is a good idea or not, but it would be nice if we could ship
> with it as an option. At least for Firefox, there's already a search
> engine plugin written for it. Certainly their stances on user privacy
> seem more in-line with our own.

Does Fedora package the Firefox with search-engine setup that is
different from that of the default out of mozilla? If so, while I am not
a fan of DuckDuckGo, I think it should be included there. I don't think
a partnership makes much sense though.

> We've also fielded some criticism I think for using Google as the
> start.fedoraproject.org search engine. DuckDuckGo might be a friendlier
> alternative for start.fpo.
>
> Does this make sense? Would it be appropriate to file a ticket with
> FESCO on including them by default and with the websites team to
> consider using DDG for start.fpo? Or is it not enough benefit?
>
> I was interested in hearing folks weigh in here.

While I love alternatives to google - I put being open-source friendly
first. If DuckDuckGo turns out not to be anti-open source, just
disregard me little rant. I just wanted to throw this into the mix.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
oh okay. my mistake.

Yafcot:atj(*),

mark

* Yet another fool coming over this: according to joey
-- mark@mail.novare.net

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM
David Nalley

> Does this make sense? Would it be appropriate to file a ticket with
> FESCO on including them by default and with the websites team to
> consider using DDG for start.fpo? Or is it not enough benefit?

Hi Mo, et al.:

We (the board) discussed the DuckDuckGo proposal at today's on-site
meeting at FUDcon.
The Board itself doesn't have an opinion one way or another - and
think this should be taken up directly with the individual package
maintainer(s) (in the case of the browser search plugins) and with the
websites team (in the case of start.fp.o)

--David

Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/15/2012 08:38 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I've had it set as my default search engine for a while, but I do find
> myself switching to Google quite often; Google gives better results for
> many queries, I've found. Often I search a specific error message, say,
> and get useful results from Google, nothing useful from DDG.

!g is your friend. Also consider Scroogle.

Rahul

Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Adam Williamson

> > I've had it set as my default search engine for a while, but I do find
> > myself switching to Google quite often; Google gives better results for
> > many queries, I've found. Often I search a specific error message, say,
> > and get useful results from Google, nothing useful from DDG.
>
> !g is your friend. Also consider Scroogle.

Well, if we're talking implementation details, I just switched so the
URL bar defaults to DDG, but the search box defaults to scroogle. So I
can search with either engine at any time, I just pick the appropriate
box...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/28/2012 08:04 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 01:21 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 01/15/2012 08:38 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> I've had it set as my default search engine for a while, but I do find
>>> myself switching to Google quite often; Google gives better results for
>>> many queries, I've found. Often I search a specific error message, say,
>>> and get useful results from Google, nothing useful from DDG.
>>
>> !g is your friend. Also consider Scroogle.
>
> Well, if we're talking implementation details, I just switched so the
> URL bar defaults to DDG, but the search box defaults to scroogle. So I
> can search with either engine at any time, I just pick the appropriate
> box...

Yep. Precisely what I do as well

Rahul