Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default naming discussion for Fedora community grid project (previously aka Fedora@Home)

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 16:59 -0400, Bryan Che wrote:
> Hi, as a follow-up to my proposal to create a Fedora community grid
> project
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00022.html)
> and our discussion at fedora-advisory-board regarding naming
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00100.html),
> I asked John Adams and some of the creative people at Red Hat to help us
> brainstorm names for this project. They did a great job, and I've
> attached the output of their work. Note that these names are all just
> suggestions and starting points for conversation.
>
> Please provide input on names. I'll let the conversation go for a week
> and then put up a consensus vote on 4/4 as to what we will name this
> project.

"Turbine" and "Shepherd" both appeal to me immediately.

Unfortunately, "Turbine" is a social gaming community company, so the
latter may garner my vote for now.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Marc Wiriadisastra

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 16:59 -0400, Bryan Che wrote:
> Hi, as a follow-up to my proposal to create a Fedora community grid
> project
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00022.html)
> and our discussion at fedora-advisory-board regarding naming
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00100.html),
> I asked John Adams and some of the creative people at Red Hat to help us
> brainstorm names for this project. They did a great job, and I've
> attached the output of their work. Note that these names are all just
> suggestions and starting points for conversation.
>
> Please provide input on names. I'll let the conversation go for a week
> and then put up a consensus vote on 4/4 as to what we will name this
> project.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan

I like REM Cycle or the Fedora Dream Project
Fedora Group Intelligence sounds sophisticated while I like it as well
people might think they have nothing to offer.

Also Turbine as well is good for me.

Cheers,

Marc

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 16:59 -0400, Bryan Che wrote:
> Please provide input on names.

Why do I really, really like Sleepwalker...

Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Josh Boyer

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 16:59 -0400, Bryan Che wrote:
> Hi, as a follow-up to my proposal to create a Fedora community grid
> project
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00022.html)
> and our discussion at fedora-advisory-board regarding naming
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00100.html),
> I asked John Adams and some of the creative people at Red Hat to help us
> brainstorm names for this project. They did a great job, and I've
> attached the output of their work. Note that these names are all just
> suggestions and starting points for conversation.
>
> Please provide input on names. I'll let the conversation go for a week
> and then put up a consensus vote on 4/4 as to what we will name this
> project.

I like sleepwalker. And anything with "cloud" in it makes me want to
stab myself.

josh

Old 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 22:12 -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> FEDORA COINTELLIGENCE
>
> When I first read this name I thought that it was COIN-TELLIGENCE and
> not CO-INTELLIGENGE as I suspect was intended.

I shied away because of the history of COINTEL in this country,
especially where it comes to freedom, and that's all I'll say on that
subject.

> So that leaves me with "Altamont", "Fedora Powerfarm", something
> related to "Fedora Delta Waves" or "Fedora Community Computing".

I liked "Powerfarm" in an initial pass. I also liked:

Fedora Windfarm
Fedora Powernap
Fedora Sleepwalker

The list also gave rise to a few new directions for me:

Fedora Compute Village
Fedora Re-Cycling

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Axel Thimm

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:16:22AM -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> The list also gave rise to a few new directions for me:
>
> Fedora Compute Village

How about a merger of community and computation like

Fedora Compunity

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 AM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 23:54 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:16:22AM -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > The list also gave rise to a few new directions for me:
> >
> > Fedora Compute Village
>
> How about a merger of community and computation like
>
> Fedora Compunity

Good direction, I like it, although is does ring in the ear a bit like
'impunity' to the ear. Unfortunately there seems to be existing usage
that might be confusing.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

> 2008/3/28 Scott Thistle <scott@tekkie.org>:
> I like the Fedora Karma
>
> Out of all the names I would avoid using karma. Doesn't bodhi already
> use the concept of 'karma' for update comments? I don't think we want
> to re-use the word when its being used inside our infrastructure
> already.

Oddly, I had first recommended we drop the whole karma-line because I
figure it's too tied up in religion *and* popular culture. Then I
realized that was a bit stupid of me, if it is offensive someone on this
list will let us know.

Since the rewards for good karma usually are delivered in subsequent
lifetimes, my thinking is to pick a name that is reflective of this
current incarnation.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Jonathan Roberts

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:37 -0400, Bryan Che wrote:
> So, these are the name candidates for the Fedora community grid project:
>
> -Cointelligence
> -Compunity
> -Dream
> -Group Think