Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Bryan Che

Default naming discussion for Fedora community grid project (previously aka Fedora@Home)

It turns out that "Turbine" and "Sandman" are taken too. So, John Adams
is going to help us out again and get some additional names screened
from a legal standpoint.

Bryan

Bryan Che wrote:
Hi, we just completed a trademark search on "Sleepwalker," and it turns
out that it's already being used for software. So, we're going to have
to go with a different name. I've asked for searches on the next
highest vote-getters, "Turbine" and "Sandman."

Bryan

Bryan Che wrote:
I've tallied up the votes, and Fedora Sleepwalker wins! Here are the
results:

Name +1 0 -1 Total
Cointelligence 0 1 7 -7
Compunity 0 1 7 -7
Dream 0.5 4 4 -3.5
Group Think 1 2 5 -4
Nightlife 5 2 2 3
Re-Cycle 1 5 2 -1
REM Cycle 2 5 1 1
Sandman 5.5 4 0 5.5
Shepherd 0 6 2 -2
Sleepwalker 11 3 2 9
Trellis 6 3 3 3
Turbine 8 2 1 7

Bryan

Bryan Che wrote:

So, these are the name candidates for the Fedora community grid project:

-Cointelligence
-Compunity
-Dream
-Group Think
-Nightlife
-Re-Cycle
-REM Cycle
-Sandman
-Shepherd
-Sleepwalker
-Trellis
-Turbine

Please cast your votes for names: +1/0/-1, and then I'll tabulate and
declare a winner. The vote is open until 4/11.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan Che wrote:
Hi, as a follow-up to my proposal to create a Fedora community grid
project
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00022.html)
and our discussion at fedora-advisory-board regarding naming
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00100.html),
I asked John Adams and some of the creative people at Red Hat to
help us brainstorm names for this project. They did a great job,
and I've attached the output of their work. Note that these names
are all just suggestions and starting points for conversation.

Please provide input on names. I'll let the conversation go for a
week and then put up a consensus vote on 4/4 as to what we will name
this project.

Thanks,

Bryan