Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Robert Scheck

Default Meeting Minutes of Fedora EMEA NPO Meeting

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Obviously I'm unfamiliar with German law, but there *are* packages that
> handle invoicing, balancing, etc. And people say the American
> legal system is hostile to open source...

Please be aware, that ERP/GnuCash etc. != NPO management software. Managing
regular memberships or similar things is not the goal the software you have
mentioned in your mails.

A membership is a yearly fee, not a product. And if somebody has to add the
"membership product" to all of the members yearly, it isn't IMHO the target
audience - just to name an example.

Greetings,
Robert

Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
JoergSimon

Am Dienstag, 25. März 2008 19:57:52 schrieb Bill Nottingham:
> This seems odd. Max, for example, has been doing budgets and placing them
> on the wiki without having to resort to additional software. How many of
> the various open source packages (GnuCash, sql-ledger, SugarCRM, etc.) have
> you investigated?

Thanks Bill, yes it is odd, Robert(rsc) has done a lot reviewing - after all -
we will keep it simple stupid.
As example we have to store the Data as Backup for 10 years, and have to
provide useable access to them at any time for the government, and this is
just the start ...

cheers Joerg
--
Jörg Simon
jsimon@fedoraproject.org

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Bill Nottingham

JoergSimon (jsimon@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > This seems odd. Max, for example, has been doing budgets and placing them
> > on the wiki without having to resort to additional software. How many of
> > the various open source packages (GnuCash, sql-ledger, SugarCRM, etc.) have
> > you investigated?
>
> Thanks Bill, yes it is odd, Robert(rsc) has done a lot reviewing - after all -
> we will keep it simple stupid.
> As example we have to store the Data as Backup for 10 years, and have to
> provide useable access to them at any time for the government, and this is
> just the start ...

Good luck. As someone who was around for the Fedora Foundation, I understand
the pain.

Bill

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Marc Wiriadisastra

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 22:00 +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Obviously I'm unfamiliar with German law, but there *are* packages that
> > handle invoicing, balancing, etc. And people say the American
> > legal system is hostile to open source...
>
> Please be aware, that ERP/GnuCash etc. != NPO management software. Managing
> regular memberships or similar things is not the goal the software you have
> mentioned in your mails.
>
> A membership is a yearly fee, not a product. And if somebody has to add the
> "membership product" to all of the members yearly, it isn't IMHO the target
> audience - just to name an example.
>

> Greetings,
> Robert

If you are talking about a full fleshed out NPO Management software I
would say that you would have to find one.

I'm an accountant/auditor now as my full time job and personally GnuCash
if you manipulate it or Kmymoney is very good. I say this because as an
accountant it is pretty easy to set up.

I'm not to sure what German Law has to abide but if it's documenting who
has donated etc. then there is a notes section in both those software
packages.

Other packages which include a whole range of different things such as
PHP CRM packages which have components for accounting and things like
that. It's going to take a bit to set up, if you are going to purchase
software well you are going to be paying for the software and also for
the setting up.

Any help that you want give me a yell offlist but I've had a good look
at some of the packages around. Also actual knowledge of Gnucash apart
from basic know how there is a guy on IRC who uses it for his business.
Have a chat to him his IRC nick is "Southern Gentlemen"

Cheers,

Marc

Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Max Spevack