Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

Dear Board members and everyone else,

I have just subscribed to this list in order to raise this question, apologies
if I am breaking any list ettiquette. :-)

Based on a recent (today's) death of Dennis Ritchie, the man who invented both
C and UNIX (along with Kernighan and Thompson, of course), I am proposing a
way for the Fedora Community to pay respects to him, in the following way.

(1) To open a vote for the following change in the Fedora codenames:
* to rename the upcoming F16 release from "Verne" to "Ritchie",
* to rename the F17 release from "Beefy Miracle" to "Verne",
* to name the F18 release "Beefy Miracle".
(2) To implement the decision reached by voting.

Rationale:
I believe that the death of Dennis Ritchie should be reflected in Fedora in
some way, given his contributions to UNIX, C and computing in general.
Furthermore, a codename appears to be a perfect way to pay respects.

Specifically, I believe that the least we can do is to rename the first upcoming
release of Fedora, which is F16. It will be officially supported for a year,
which seems appropriate length. In addition, it will be released fairly soon.
The future F17 release should be renamed "Verne" in order not to insult the
great writer nor the people who voted this codename, and to restore the
continuity of the "is a" relationship for codenames. The F18 release doesn't
yet have a codename, and it seems fit that it be codenamed "Beefy Miracle", in
order not to insult the voters of that name, and to keep the "is a"
relationship.

I also believe that this occasion warrants such kind of an exception and a
deviation from the usual naming scheme.

There is an ongoing discussion about this on the Fedora users list, and Rahul
Sundaram pointed us to the Fedora Board as a proper list to formally make this
proposal.

I am just a simple Fedora user, contributing with occasional advices and some
help on the users list, and this is my very first official contribution to the
project (if it can be called a contribution). Apologies if I didn't follow any
guidelines about this. This proposal is just my opinion alone, although I
welcome everyone to support it.

So, is this feasible? What do you think?

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM
"LinuxBSDos.com"

> Dear Board members and everyone else,
>
> I have just subscribed to this list in order to raise this question,
> apologies
> if I am breaking any list ettiquette. :-)
>
> Based on a recent (today's) death of Dennis Ritchie, the man who invented
> both
> C and UNIX (along with Kernighan and Thompson, of course), I am proposing
> way for the Fedora Community to pay respects to him, in the following way.
>
> (1) To open a vote for the following change in the Fedora codenames:
> * to rename the upcoming F16 release from "Verne" to "Ritchie",
> * to rename the F17 release from "Beefy Miracle" to "Verne",
> * to name the F18 release "Beefy Miracle".
> (2) To implement the decision reached by voting.
>
> Rationale:
> I believe that the death of Dennis Ritchie should be reflected in Fedora
> in
> some way, given his contributions to UNIX, C and computing in general.
> Furthermore, a codename appears to be a perfect way to pay respects.
>
> Specifically, I believe that the least we can do is to rename the first
> upcoming
> release of Fedora, which is F16. It will be officially supported for a
> year,
> which seems appropriate length. In addition, it will be released fairly
> soon.
> The future F17 release should be renamed "Verne" in order not to insult
> the
> great writer nor the people who voted this codename, and to restore the
> continuity of the "is a" relationship for codenames. The F18 release
> doesn't
> yet have a codename, and it seems fit that it be codenamed "Beefy
> Miracle", in
> order not to insult the voters of that name, and to keep the "is a"
> relationship.
>
> I also believe that this occasion warrants such kind of an exception and a
> deviation from the usual naming scheme.
>
> There is an ongoing discussion about this on the Fedora users list, and
> Rahul
> Sundaram pointed us to the Fedora Board as a proper list to formally make
> this
> proposal.
>
> I am just a simple Fedora user, contributing with occasional advices and
> some
> help on the users list, and this is my very first official contribution to
> the
> project (if it can be called a contribution). Apologies if I didn't follow
> any
> guidelines about this. This proposal is just my opinion alone, although I
> welcome everyone to support it.
>
> So, is this feasible? What do you think?

Good idea. +1'ed.

--
Fini D.
http://LinuxBSDos.com

Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM
inode0

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Board members and everyone else,
>
> I have just subscribed to this list in order to raise this question, apologies
> if I am breaking any list ettiquette. :-)
>
> Based on a recent (today's) death of Dennis Ritchie, the man who invented both
> C and UNIX (along with Kernighan and Thompson, of course), I am proposing a
> way for the Fedora Community to pay respects to him, in the following way.
>
> (1) To open a vote for the following change in the Fedora codenames:
> * * * to rename the upcoming F16 release from "Verne" to "Ritchie",
> * * * to rename the F17 release from "Beefy Miracle" to "Verne",
> * * * to name the F18 release "Beefy Miracle".
> (2) To implement the decision reached by voting.

This is a lovely sentiment but I think it would prove difficult to
accomplish at this point in time and would be a little disruptive to
the artwork/codename theming that is already finished.

As an alternative I would suggest leaving the codenames as they are
but when we release F16 we do so in memory of Dennis Ritchie.

John

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:11:43 -0500,
inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a lovely sentiment but I think it would prove difficult to
> accomplish at this point in time and would be a little disruptive to
> the artwork/codename theming that is already finished.

More than a little disruptive.

> As an alternative I would suggest leaving the codenames as they are
> but when we release F16 we do so in memory of Dennis Ritchie.

I would rather see a dedication than a release name change.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Jaroslav Reznik

> > I have just subscribed to this list in order to raise this
> > question, apologies
> > if I am breaking any list ettiquette. :-)
> >
> > Based on a recent (today's) death of Dennis Ritchie, the man who
> > invented both
> > C and UNIX (along with Kernighan and Thompson, of course), I am
> > proposing a
> > way for the Fedora Community to pay respects to him, in the
> > following way.
> >
> > (1) To open a vote for the following change in the Fedora
> > codenames:
> > * * * to rename the upcoming F16 release from "Verne" to "Ritchie",
> > * * * to rename the F17 release from "Beefy Miracle" to "Verne",
> > * * * to name the F18 release "Beefy Miracle".
> > (2) To implement the decision reached by voting.
>
> This is a lovely sentiment but I think it would prove difficult to
> accomplish at this point in time and would be a little disruptive to
> the artwork/codename theming that is already finished.
>
> As an alternative I would suggest leaving the codenames as they are
> but when we release F16 we do so in memory of Dennis Ritchie.

+1, it's too late for code name change but dedicate F16 to two
awesome men - Jules Verne and Dennis Ritchie! One in code name,
another one as dedication.

Jaroslav

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Jaroslav Reznik

Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Clive Hills

I originally raised the question of a tribute on the users list.I believe dedicating Fedora 16 to him would be fitting and appropriate.Clive

Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Thursday 13 October 2011 21:02:00 Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> [...]

Ok, I do see the point about artwork. But I don't understand how is the
release going to be dedicated exactly? I mean practically, is something going
to be written somewhere, or otherwise how will most people know that F16 is
dedicated to Ritchie?

If a codename is out of the picture, I'm out of practical ideas how to do it.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Chris Tyler

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 23:01 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Ok, I do see the point about artwork. But I don't understand how is the
> release going to be dedicated exactly? I mean practically, is something going
> to be written somewhere, or otherwise how will most people know that F16 is
> dedicated to Ritchie?

Could be in release notes + release announcement...

-Chris