Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Matt Domsch

Default Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

On Oct 15, 2011 12:21 PM, "Michael Schwendt" <bugs.michael@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:09:22 -0700, RB (Robyn) wrote:

> > In general I feel like we, as a community, shouldn't put ourselves in

> > the awkward position of having to decide who is worthy and who isn't on

> > an ongoing basis.

> > I think doing something through the release announcement and notes is

> > acceptable, appropriate, and timely.

> What about pointing Fedora 16's Firefox start page to a special one?

> (it usually points at http://start.fedoraproject.org/ )

editing that page is far easier than changing the default URL.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Jef Spaleta

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Matt Domsch <matt@domsch.com> wrote:
> editing that page is far easier than changing the default URL.

And it provides us a reusable mechanism for the next time we feel a
need to memorialize. In fact couldn't we change the contents of the
page for F15 right now and be even _more_ timely? And this sets a
precedent for every future need to do this. We change the page
contents for a few weeks as per the expected cultural norm. And given
the chance (due to timeliness) we can dedicate releases in the release
notes for new releases.

Our releases are like books or movies or tv shows, books and movies
and tv shows don't change their eposodic naming because someone
important to the creators died while the creative work was in
production. No they add a dedication page/screen at the beginning or
the end and pay their respects that way. There's no need for us to
wring our hands and try to do something more elaborate than that and
prepare ourselves to do it again and again and again without any need
to fight about process. Or we can go further and do like the Oscar
Awards show does and have a dedicated space to all those who passed in
our community since the last release if we find there are more than
one person who deserves to be remembered in the context of our
creative work and our community.

-jef

Old 10-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Robert 'Bob' Jensen

----- "Jef Spaleta" <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Matt Domsch <matt@domsch.com> wrote:
> > editing that page is far easier than changing the default URL.
>
> And it provides us a reusable mechanism for the next time we feel a
> need to memorialize. In fact couldn't we change the contents of the
> page for F15 right now and be even _more_ timely? And this sets a
> precedent for every future need to do this. We change the page
> contents for a few weeks as per the expected cultural norm. And
> given
> the chance (due to timeliness) we can dedicate releases in the
> release
> notes for new releases.
>
> Our releases are like books or movies or tv shows, books and movies
> and tv shows don't change their eposodic naming because someone
> important to the creators died while the creative work was in
> production. No they add a dedication page/screen at the beginning or
> the end and pay their respects that way. There's no need for us to
> wring our hands and try to do something more elaborate than that and
> prepare ourselves to do it again and again and again without any need
> to fight about process. Or we can go further and do like the Oscar
> Awards show does and have a dedicated space to all those who passed
> in
> our community since the last release if we find there are more than
> one person who deserves to be remembered in the context of our
> creative work and our community.

This is the best idea on this subject I have heard so far. Well other than the one that rattles around in my head. Rename F16 Ritchie and let the naming of releases die also, we can forget that "Beefy Miracle" ever happened...

-- Bob

Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Matt Domsch <matt@domsch.com> wrote:
>> editing that page is far easier than changing the default URL.
>
> And it provides us a reusable mechanism for the next time we feel a
> need to memorialize. In fact couldn't we change the contents of the
> page for F15 right now and be even _more_ timely? And this sets a
> precedent for every future need to do this. We change the page
> contents for a few weeks as per the expected cultural norm. And given
> the chance (due to timeliness) we can dedicate releases in the release
> notes for new releases.

We could use this page the way Google uses their logo.

-J

> Our releases are like books or movies or tv shows, books and movies
> and tv shows don't change their eposodic naming because someone
> important to the creators died while the creative work was in
> production. No they add a dedication page/screen at the beginning or
> the end and pay their respects that way. There's no need for us to
> wring our hands and try to do something more elaborate than that and
> prepare ourselves to do it again and again and again without any need
> to fight about process. Or we can go further and do like the Oscar
> Awards show does and have a dedicated space to all those who passed in
> our community since the last release if we find there are more than
> one person who deserves to be remembered in the context of our
> creative work and our community.
>
> -jef

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love