Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Emilio Lopez

Default Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

What about calling Fedora 18 Ritchie?

emiliollbb

Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Matěj Cepl

Dne 14.10.2011 09:56, Emilio Lopez napsal(a):
> What about calling Fedora 18 Ritchie?

I don't want to be too cynical, but a sad reality of life is that whole
Computing Founding Fathers generation is getting to the age where
subsequent demises of similarly important figures could be expected (I
won't say any names but all of us can think about some appropriately
aged persons as well).

We are making a precedent here ... will we make next Fedoras one long
continuing obituary? Maybe yes (it would be actually a neat idea), but
we should be aware of this.

Best,

Matěj

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Friday 14 October 2011 08:56:29 Emilio Lopez wrote:
> What about calling Fedora 18 Ritchie?

F18 is one year away, which is a bit too far away for paying respects IMHO.
>From my POV we either do something *now* (i.e. in F16), or not do anything at
all.

Paying respects to a passed away person is done immediately after their death,
or at first *possible* opportunity, and not at ones first *convenient*
oportunity. IMNSHO.

<rant>
No offence to Emilio, but suggesting that we do this for F18 is a bit
hypocritical. It's essentially a statement of the form "Sorry Dennis, you
chose a poor time to die, the vote for F17 is already over. You are the
creator of C and UNIX, but you'll have to wait six more months, since "Beefy
Miracle" will go first. Tough luck, don't take it personally.".

That is downright rude, given that we are the Fedora community and that we are
not constrained by any higher power to choose a codename for a release. So
please, folks, if we are going to pay respects to the man, let's do it
properly, ok?
</rant>

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Clive Hills

+1

Clive

Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Buddhika Kurera

Hello Folks,
I have read the thread, exactly this seems as a good idea.

Of course we must pay the tribute because he did such a*service*to mankind. Kernals are written most of the using C, therefore obviously the inventor(one of) should be treated*fairly*and*should pay*the tribute.*

But the question is How we should pay our*tribute? Changing F16 code name or F17 or F18 as some raised.
WE have a proper set of guidelines for code name, well*established*and accepted by the*community. So are we going to break the agreement. In future again an eminent will dead (lest call someone very related as DMR) then are we going to change the code name again to pay tribute? Due to the action we are taking now, may be it will create issues for the entire life time of the project.

What I see is, we should pay our tribute, but in*another*way*which*is*feasible*without breaking agreed and established rules. For*example*we can include this in RNotes, Announcements, can be mentioned in boot screen with a message, Issue a press by FPL,*mention*in website, if possible can be*mentioned*on media, media sleeves and many creative ways that community suggests.

Therefore I think the best thing to do it leave the code name as it is, the rules related to the name will govern that. Beside will try to figure out what is the alternative action as mentioned in the above list.

Personally when we have a proper system, I feel change the name is not the best way to pay the tribute, I wonder where it stops if we start it here.
CONCLUSION: The community has agreed on code name rule so dont ask to break it, try to find a best way to pay the tribute while making sure that the agreed rules are as they are.

--
Regards,Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera(bckurera)Fedora Ambassador Sri LankaEvent*Liaison*- Design Team
Email:*bckurera@fedoraproject.org*|*IRC: bckurera

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Adam Jackson

On 10/13/11 8:52 PM, Tim Burke wrote:
> Great concept!
> Given that its too disruptive for F16, what about considering it for F17
> instead. Do people think that the prominence of a release name, albeit
> delayed, is more of a commemoration than an honorarium in
> relnotes/announcement?

It strikes me that the Holy Hot Dog doesn't have a name.

- ajax

Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 PM
inode0

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably also needs to get passed to Legal. *I know the Board has
> a pre-filter that's roughly "no living famous people".. Not sure with
> someone recently deceased if they'll worry about next of kin taking offense
> or something.

Giving this a bit more thought I'm not sure pursuing the release name
is a good idea. While this name may or may not be acceptable to legal,
what if we ever wanted to do this again? Would that name be acceptable
to legal? This seems to introduce complications that may not be worth
muddling though if we think doing something via the release
announcement and release notes is appropriate and acceptable to
everyone.

John

Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On 10/14/2011 03:40 PM, inode0 wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Toshio Kuratomi<a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably also needs to get passed to Legal. I know the Board has
>> a pre-filter that's roughly "no living famous people".. Not sure with
>> someone recently deceased if they'll worry about next of kin taking offense
>> or something.
> Giving this a bit more thought I'm not sure pursuing the release name
> is a good idea. While this name may or may not be acceptable to legal,
> what if we ever wanted to do this again? Would that name be acceptable
> to legal? This seems to introduce complications that may not be worth
> muddling though if we think doing something via the release
> announcement and release notes is appropriate and acceptable to
> everyone.
In general I feel like we, as a community, shouldn't put ourselves in
the awkward position of having to decide who is worthy and who isn't on
an ongoing basis.

I think doing something through the release announcement and notes is
acceptable, appropriate, and timely.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Clive Hills

I agree 100%.
Clive

On 10/15/11, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 03:40 PM, inode0 wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Toshio Kuratomi<a.badger@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Probably also needs to get passed to Legal. I know the Board has
>>> a pre-filter that's roughly "no living famous people".. Not sure with
>>> someone recently deceased if they'll worry about next of kin taking
>>> offense
>>> or something.
>> Giving this a bit more thought I'm not sure pursuing the release name
>> is a good idea. While this name may or may not be acceptable to legal,
>> what if we ever wanted to do this again? Would that name be acceptable
>> to legal? This seems to introduce complications that may not be worth
>> muddling though if we think doing something via the release
>> announcement and release notes is appropriate and acceptable to
>> everyone.
> In general I feel like we, as a community, shouldn't put ourselves in
> the awkward position of having to decide who is worthy and who isn't on
> an ongoing basis.
>
> I think doing something through the release announcement and notes is
> acceptable, appropriate, and timely.
>> John

Clive
-- 077222971491

Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:09:22 -0700, RB (Robyn) wrote:

> In general I feel like we, as a community, shouldn't put ourselves in
> the awkward position of having to decide who is worthy and who isn't on
> an ongoing basis.
>
> I think doing something through the release announcement and notes is
> acceptable, appropriate, and timely.

What about pointing Fedora 16's Firefox start page to a special one?
(it usually points at http://start.fedoraproject.org/ )

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc9.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.02 0.06 0.05